Little Fire yesterday

Firefly Berlin

Apr 25, 2012
Germany / Berlin
I tend to surprise people a little bit. ;) :D

That thing started as a small fire on the outside storage area and after about one hour into the call the building basicly flashed over.

The video gives you a good overview of our current apparatus in service.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
AWESOME video! No injuries I hope? How badly damaged was the exposure on the rear of the building (I think it was the rear I was looking at)?

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Firefly Berlin said:
Those are standart equipment on our city engines, they carry 100- 160 yards of 2" supply hose, so one FF can set up the watersupply.

How common is the larger 5" supply hose on engines in your area? I would say that nearly every engine here in the US carries at least 300m of 4" or 5" supply hose...in fact, can someone help me out, isn't it an ISO requirement?

Firefly Berlin

Apr 25, 2012
Germany / Berlin
In germany the 4 or 5 inch hoses are almost not existing.

Not shure about other european countries, but I haven't seen them in France, Spain, Austria, Belgium and some other States.

Our watersupply mainly is handled with 3 inch hose.

Attack lines are either 2 or 3 inch.

We usually carry about 200 meters of 3" and 200 meters of 2" on our engines.

Crosslays, high rise packs, etc. also don't exist in the way they are known in the US.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
vonirkinshtine said:
How common is the larger 5" supply hose on engines in your area? I would say that nearly every engine here in the US carries at least 300m of 4" or 5" supply hose...in fact, can someone help me out, isn't it an ISO requirement?

I believe you are correct however departments, especially larger/older ones, all seem to go by the saying "XX years of tradition and history, unimpeeded by progress." Just because you've always laid 2.5" to the hydrant as supply, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Firefly Berlin said:
In germany the 4 or 5 inch hoses are almost not existing.
Not shure about other european countries, but I haven't seen them in France, Spain, Austria, Belgium and some other States.

Our watersupply mainly is handled with 3 inch hose.

Attack lines are either 2 or 3 inch.

We usually carry about 200 meters of 3" and 200 meters of 2" on our engines.

Crosslays, high rise packs, etc. also don't exist in the way they are known in the US.

Sounds like a whole other world of firefighting tactics and techniques... I'm sure I'd have a very rough time getting used to working anywhere in Europe and I'd bed that you and your co-workers would take some settling in if you were to come over here. But as long as it works and everyone goes home at the end of the day, right?

Also, whatever that unit is at around 2:10 or so with the roof mounted, remote control (or so it appeared) water turret... PLEASE tell me that you can spray and drive at the same time, that would just be fun!

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Does someone have to walk that line up the ladder? It looks like there is no hard pipe attached to it.

Firefly Berlin

Apr 25, 2012
Germany / Berlin
Well, for me it took some days of training to get used to the american tactics/ SOPs.

But I guess it will be a harder time to get used to european tactics.

If you want I will post a thread with pics to show more of our units, gear and tactics.

The hose on the ladder is 35 meters long, it just gets connected to the turret and moves w ith the ladder.

It is fed by a engine as our ladders don't have a pump or water tank.

Also they don't have prepiped waterways.

@fox: The unit with the remote operated turret in this case is a tanker for fighting tunnel fires.

It can pump and roll as it is called in airport language.

It has fold out ppv fans on its sides and air packs for all personell in its cabin.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Firefly Berlin said:
@fox: The unit with the remote operated turret in this case is a tanker for fighting tunnel fires.
It can pump and roll as it is called in airport language.

It has fold out ppv fans on its sides and air packs for all personell in its cabin.

Sounds like the firefighting version of a tank... freaking sweet. If I ever get to visit Germany, I'm going to look you up and ask for a ride in it!

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
DUDE, can I come too? I don't care for what reason I go to Germany next, I'm flying into Berlin a day early so I can meet you! I get free checked bags so I might throw my gear on the plane too, hahahaha.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.