Long Island Fire Rescue EMS Mega Show Photos 2/23/13

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
SPOILER ALERT!!!

Went down to the Long Island Fire Rescue EMS Mega Show Expo today. The show is still open tomorrow from 10-5pm at the Nassau Coliseum.

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8103_8501878116_816ee01b30_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8521_8501868218_52aa029346_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8366_8501878014_796d802b32_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8516_8500769759_c623445c5a_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8250_8501877840_391c1e8f71_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8103_8500769437_1663535891_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8102_8500769281_5a2d5beda2_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8389_8501868362_1c2ec3c9a2_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8381_8500768855_60880fa30e_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8111_8501876730_ea12baa8e2_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
Of course, most of the Lights and Siren dealers/manufacturers were there (Whelen, Code 3, Power Arc, Sagaore Lights, Mobile Fleet to name a few...). I got to see the new Legacy, and DAMN is it bright!! Here is Sagamore Lights Whelen Display...

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8381_8501870088_b45e8e224a_z.jpg

killCARB027

Jan 26, 2011
USA
firedude said:
SPOILER ALERT!!!

Went down to the Long Island Fire Rescue EMS Mega Show Expo today. The show is still open tomorrow from 10-5pm at the Nassau Coliseum.

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8103_8501878116_816ee01b30_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8521_8501868218_52aa029346_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8366_8501878014_796d802b32_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8516_8500769759_c623445c5a_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8250_8501877840_391c1e8f71_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8103_8500769437_1663535891_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8102_8500769281_5a2d5beda2_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8389_8501868362_1c2ec3c9a2_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8381_8500768855_60880fa30e_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8111_8501876730_ea12baa8e2_z.jpg

Last edited:

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
thats the first thing i thought when i saw that Commack rig

Snibsey

Sep 12, 2012
UK
Long Island Fire Departments living up to their reputation for chrome plated extravagance - courtesy of John Q Taxpayer.

Why does every hick town need a 100ft aerial and a monster rescue truck? :rolleyes:

For example: the Congers Fire District covers just three-and-a-bit square miles and a population of 8,000. The hamlet (not even a town or a city) has two fire stations and five fire appliances. Crazy!

04P71

Nov 25, 2012
New York
I saw that Commack rig too. It's funny how everyone upstate has to go by NYS law for lights, but the NYC and Long Island area do as they please.

JM6402

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
Settle down there guy-

I'm sure its different on your side of the lake, but let's justify a few things. (And if you're too illiterate to read this post, I can create pictures instead of words)

(Background- I come from a LI Dept, with 125 members, 2 Eng's, 2 Amb's, 1 Tower Ladder, 1 Heavy rescue. Newest rig is a 1999. 1300 alarms a year, covering 7.5 sq miles and population of 35,000)

If you think LI is made up of "Hick Towns", then maybe it's time to look on a map. The majority of LI is heavily populated, covering major highways such as the LIE (RTE495) and 6 major parkways. With the exception of 2 paid ENGINES... Yeah, engines not departments, everything is volunteer. But unfortunatly, with the buildings that are up, in order to keep ISO ratings prestine, departments are forced to purchase arials and rescues to meet spec. For example the tallest building in my town is only 6 stories, but a few miles away is a 16 story hospital.

Also, in most "non-hick" areas of the country, there are paid departments, with, you guessed it, larger budgets in order to pay salaries. So one nice thing about being a volly on LI, is where you would pay 10 guys 1 Mil+ on salaries, plus benefits etc..., we can spend half of that on an engine that will last 15 or more years.

In conclusion- your head is obviously impaled too deep in your rectal canal to smell the outside world around you, but before you preten to know it all about every area of the world, why don't you open a map, or even Google

FYI- "Congers FD" is nowhere NEAR Long Island. It is upstate in Rockland County. Before you pick up that 3 day old slice of pizza and type on the forum, why don't you go on a site like LNBN.smugmug.com, or k2mphotography.com, and see what LI incidents are really like. Not taking any of this personally, just can't stand clueless idiots on this forum.

And PS to all others- The only reason I wrote out a reply like this, is this troll did the same thing in other threads, with no justification past his own opinion. (Which we are all entitled to)

http://elightbars.org/forums/f80/awesome-squad-38235/#post324560

Snibsey said:
Long Island Fire Departments living up to their reputation for chrome plated extravagance - courtesy of John Q Taxpayer.

Why does every hick town need a 100ft aerial and a monster rescue truck? :rolleyes:

For example: the Congers Fire District covers just three-and-a-bit square miles and a population of 8,000. The hamlet (not even a town or a city) has two fire stations and five fire appliances. Crazy!

JM6402

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
Gated Wye,

At the risk of getting this post (or thread) moved to The Ring, I'm curious why Long Island needs more fire apparatus than New York City, Los Angeles City and Los Angeles County combined to protect 1/3 of the combined population, 1/6 of the land area, and respond to 1/12 of the call volume?

Surely you remember the 2005 series that the Newsday did on the outlandish spending by the LI departments? NEWSDAY ARTICLES

How about LI departments that are spending as much on their racing teams as some US departments have in their entire budget?

Long Island Fire Taxes Pay for Questionable Racing Games | NBC New York

Run of the Week | The Fire Department Racing Video Pathfinder

The fact is that LI has some very wealthy people that live in Nassau and Suffolk, and the commissioners of the fire districts are allowed set some very wild tax rates (often approved by uninformed taxpayers) to allow for fire stations with fully-stocked bars, racing teams, duplication of equipment from surrounding districts, and some of the largest firehouses in the US. Justify it how you will, there is a ton of "because we can" decision made within many of the LI departments.

mayhemnyc

Nov 8, 2010
NYC
Snibsey said:

Have you even ever been to Long Island before?

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Travelin Man said:
Blah blah blah

So what? Who cares? You're in VA, what voice do you have for the people of Long Island? Let them have their toys and traditions. It is 'Merrica afterall! I like this thread because I like seeing all the different apparatus from across the country. Don't turn it into a social-political pissing match.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Why do people think they know what's best for an area where they don't live. Long Island has a lot of action and some pretty congested highways, they follow ISO just like everyone else and thrive on keeping their numbers perfect. Not all departments have brand new rigs, some keep old rigs in great shape as well. That's my 2 cents.

Yea, I have seen the pics of the ceremony for the hydrant. It looks like it is in front of the LIRR station in town. A really good idea from a retired member of the FDNY and hope it spreads.

Snibsey

Sep 12, 2012
UK
Me thinks I touched a raw nerve with some of the volly types judging by their reaction.

Too busy fretting over how much chrome to spec' for their next parade truck. :haha:

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Snibsey said:
Me thinks I touched a raw nerve with some of the volly types judging by their reaction.

Too busy fretting over how much chrome to spec' for their next parade truck. :haha:

Damn straight! Now, if we could just get our daytime staff to keep the chrome polished, lol.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
Travelin Man said:
Gated Wye,

At the risk of getting this post (or thread) moved to The Ring, I'm curious why Long Island needs more fire apparatus than New York City, Los Angeles City and Los Angeles County combined to protect 1/3 of the combined population, 1/6 of the land area, and respond to 1/12 of the call volume?

Surely you remember the 2005 series that the Newsday did on the outlandish spending by the LI departments? NEWSDAY ARTICLES

How about LI departments that are spending as much on their racing teams as some US departments have in their entire budget?

The fact is that LI has some very wealthy people that live in Nassau and Suffolk, and the commissioners of the fire districts are allowed set some very wild tax rates (often approved by uninformed taxpayers) to allow for fire stations with fully-stocked bars, racing teams, duplication of equipment from surrounding districts, and some of the largest firehouses in the US. Justify it how you will, there is a ton of "because we can" decision made within many of the LI departments.

Newsday's articles were a little skewed and they generalized a lot of things.

duplication of equipment from surrounding districts,
So you are suggesting that because a department is located within a few miles of a another department with certain equipment that they should have to mutual aid it every time? Nothing screams the volly stereotype more than "we can't handle our own calls" and if that were the case that would be the big complaint instead. If you have a problem with tower ladders, look up the definition of hypotenuse Take a look at a map and look at all of the towns that the various parkways and highways run through (such as the LIE (495), Sunrise Highway (27), Southern State, Northern State, and all the rest.) Many of these roads were originally designed for speeds of 35 MPH and are currently posted as 55, which means everybody does 65+. The result of is some ridiculous accidents in certain spots.

The point is, that many departments have what they have because of the needs of their districts. Sure, there are a few toys out there too, but that has nothing to do specifically with Long Island so let's stop this before it gets stupid.

et330

May 15, 2012
LI, NY
Travelin Man said:
Gated Wye,

Because LI is almost completely Volly, you need to realize that response times suffer. NYC gets off with one rescue per borough because those rescues are staffed 24/7 and can be out of the house in a minute when an alarm goes off. This allows them a larger response area to reach in a reasonable amount of time. When an alarm goes off on the island, assets need to be as close to the incident as possible to compensate for the time lost to volunteers responding from their homes.

Amanda

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
afarm9.staticflickr.com_8235_8501875172_ece6704104_z.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8508_8501872972_aac226202e_z.jpg

Who is the manufacturer for this truck? We have a picture of it down at the firehouse never looked at who made it though. Wish we had a need for one of 'em. Nice truck.

Amanda

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Yeah, we've got 3 KME pieces, 1 is on it's rotation out in the next year or two, been pretty solid pieces other than a few issues with our tanker

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I LOVE the bethpage and hellmore heavy rescuesssss! I'm guessing that bethpage is in Long Island, because most apparatus that closely resemble FDNY (that I've seen) are all LI departments. The One thing that I'm not a huge fan of is how crammed the side-facing mini freedom looks (since the light tower pushes it so far forward). I'd rather have 1 less forward facing mini freedom and slightly angle the corner mini freedoms if possible, or just have a loaded full size freedom

The wantagh ambo has an awesome setup and color scheme but I wish they went with an international chassis (the box doesn't need to be bigger but that E series cab looks a little puny with everything on that unit). I used to drive all E and F series chassis on fire dept ambos, but now that I'm spoiled with larger ambos on international chassis, I can't go back lol.

Love the chiefs units but the white one needs a stripe on it IMO (even a white stripe to maintain the simplistic look, but also give the visibility that apparatus have, due to the NFPA req.)

The pierce with the low FDNY-like hose bed is a dream on mine, but unfortunately I don't think I'll ever work in an area where there's enough hydrants for a smaller on board water supply to facilitate such a hose bed.

And lastly, I like the crimson tailboard with the cut for the corner of a porta pond...yes, I love hydraulic/extending dumps but when depts can't have them, at least this will encourage safe positioning of the porta tank (while I know we usually see ponds position flat against the tanker tailboard, I do know of accidents in my area, before I was a FF, where ppl were crushed between a truck and pond, due to failure of a break or driver error, thus I was taught to position ponds at 45 degrees to prevent someone from potentially getting trapped in between). Can't always do the 45 degree, but I like that this bumper cut at least encourages it

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
pdk9 said:
I LOVE the bethpage and hellmore heavy rescuesssss! I'm guessing that bethpage is in Long Island, because most apparatus that closely resemble FDNY (that I've seen) are all LI departments.

A lot of FDNY Firefighters live in Long Island and join the FDs and VACs out there. That's why the FDNY styles of apparatus and tools come to LI. Many departments have special teams which the FDNY firefighters helped to start and develop.

pdk9 said:
The pierce with the low FDNY-like hose bed is a dream on mine, but unfortunately I don't think I'll ever work in an area where there's enough hydrants for a smaller on board water supply to facilitate such a hose bed.

While the bed is low, it is not deep. It's a bit of an illusion. Beacuse of the short wheel base, when you pile up the hose it would still be pretty high.

MetsFan2512

Jan 14, 2013
Long Island, NY
was my town of bay shore there? the fire department here jst got a new rescue rig and fire police rig the past few years, we had a huge aerial ladder truck because we have one of long island main hospitals in town and the next town over in west islip has another main hospital. Also, was bayshore-brightwaters resucue ambulance there? we have a really good squad and plenty of apparetus and just got a brand new rescue truck. the rescue squad earned the new truck because they earned highest rating on long island and highest trainer perssonnel or something like that. Its just weird that all of the apparattus is white with blue decals, but the new rescue truck is midnight blue with reflective silver decals. i'd say my town has a pretty nice fire and ems apparattus to show off and save lives and property.

also, i noticed almost every fire department including my town, most ems departments, and suffolk county police have switch to blue in the rear. fire and ems i usually see amber and blue to rear, and police have red/ blue/ and some amber to rear. is this something new for long island? i can personally say the blue is ALOT more noticable than the red, especially at night.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
MetsFan2512 said:
also, i noticed almost every fire department including my town, most ems departments, and suffolk county police have switch to blue in the rear. fire and ems i usually see amber and blue to rear, and police have red/ blue/ and some amber to rear. is this something new for long island? i can personally say the blue is ALOT more noticable than the red, especially at night.

The switch to blue started happening in mid-2007. We just got two strobes on the back of our truck changed from red to blue last month after asking since May.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Amanda said:
Yeah, we've got 3 KME pieces, 1 is on it's rotation out in the next year or two, been pretty solid pieces other than a few issues with our tanker

We have a couple of KMEs......K-Mart Enterprises, regular junk.

I really like the pre-plumbed rescue tools. Too bad our city doesn't like to use them. I worked an accident as a medic, ladder was first in, and it sure would have been nice to cut some metal to help get the 300 lb patient out. Ladder is pre-plumbed. No sweat, fire guys jus pulled him from a lying position up into a sitting position and then trauma rolled him out. Geez......

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
liberal noob said:
Is that an outboard motor?! WHY is it not on a boat or boat like device?

There is an inflatable boat kept on the rig. The pull out outboard motor makes it easier to assemble.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.