Looking for Info on Automatic Vehicle Climate Control (K9)

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
I'm looking for info on manufacturers of systems that will maintain a set temperature inside a vehicle. I found an article regarding San Diego PD using a system in their K9 vehicles that hooks into the vehicle's remote starter system, to run the AC or the heat at preset levels. The system has a couple of fail safes built in as well as an alarm / paging function if the temp exceeds the preset threshold. Due to the common terms in the search, I'm coming up with thousands of search results that don't apply to what I'm looking for, and the brand name of the system was not named in the article.

This will be used on a vehicle (van or SUV - not sure yet) to transport retired racing greyhounds, as well as used on trips with my greyhound so I can take a bathroom break without having to sneak him into the building at a rest area. Traveling alone with a non-service animal you encounter many places where pets aren't allowed, and you also can't leave them in the car without a way to maintain the temp.

I am only looking for a system to maintain the temp. No need for door popping or in-vehicle kennels.

Info / reviews of similar systems would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
For your requirements you don't require a auto climate control - all you need is a anti theft system from an ambulance. (vehicle running in park, press a button, remove Keys, engine keeps running with climate control)

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
bertram4107 said:
Im 80% sure I have one ill take a look and let you know

I'm not ready to buy yet, strictly research at this point to find the best option. Thanks for the reply!

unlisted said:
For your requirements you don't require a auto climate control - all you need is a anti theft system from an ambulance. (vehicle running in park, press a button, remove Keys, engine keeps running with climate control)

Thought about that too. There is actually a local company here that makes a really good one that is used used by many local agencies. My only concern would be if the engine stalled. The system that i read about had several fail safes built in if the engine stalls. This may be what I ultimately go with, because I can deal with checking that the vehicle is still running if i need to - these will typically be short duration breaks or stops.

Thanks for the reply!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
K9 HEAT ALARM®PRO Home Page

My agecny uses the door popper versions of these. Have stall alarms etc. Not cheap.. but worth it when you are talking about the life of a dog.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
ar6423 said:

My agecny uses the door popper versions of these. Have stall alarms etc. Not cheap.. but worth it when you are talking about the life of a dog.

Thanks. That apears to be the one I read about in the article. Can't use a door popper option with Greyhounds as they will be gone when the door opens, but the other features of this system are what I was interested in. The hounds are running at 45mph by their 3rd step - hence - no door popper!

Last edited by a moderator:

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
ar6423 said:

+1 on this system...I've got the one without the door popper (my Lab will just drool on ya), but it monitors the temp inside the vehicle and can lower the windows, trigger lights and honk the horn/siren if it exceeds whatever temp you select. A remote pager is also available to let you know it's gone off. Monitors for vehicle stalls, etc. Without the door popper function, we got mine for about $300.00. Combine that with a Kussmaul anti theft system or similar device that will let you remove the keys and keep the engine running (engine is killed if you shift out of park w/ out key in ignition) and you'd be all set.

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
ar6423 said:

My agency uses the door popper versions of these. Have stall alarms etc. Not cheap.. but worth it when you are talking about the life of a dog.

My agency has these units installed on all 1200 plus vehicles in our fleet. There is a different model than the one pictured. I personally prefer the one pictured because it gives the actual temperature from two locations in the vehicle. The other model does not have a digital display, only setting switches to 87 or 91 degrees for alarm.

When the alarm is triggered, the rear windows roll down, a large window fan turns on, the horn sounds in an sos tone, and a pager is alerted. The system does not operate the factory air conditioning, only a window fan. There is also an option that a cell phone can be called, but we do not have that option.

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
For what it's worth... it's not as fancy as the dedicated K9 equipment.... but a 2 way auto-start will do most of what you want to do, in all honesty.

You'll know it's running and/or if it dies (if you're in range of the remote). My system's just one way, but I hit a trigger button on the remote and I can pull the key, lock the door, and the truck stays running with the AC on where I left it.

Not as elegant a solution as all the integral K9 products, but I'm pretty sure that if Xerxes hasn't complained about it... then it works well enough.

Here's Xerxes.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
AKRLTW said:
For what it's worth... it's not as fancy as the dedicated K9 equipment.... but a 2 way auto-start will do most of what you want to do, in all honesty.

You'll know it's running and/or if it dies (if you're in range of the remote). My system's just one way, but I hit a trigger button on the remote and I can pull the key, lock the door, and the truck stays running with the AC on where I left it.

Not as elegant a solution as all the integral K9 products, but I'm pretty sure that if Xerxes hasn't complained about it... then it works well enough.

Here's Xerxes.

Beautiful pup!

I'm finding that the auto start capabilities / features really vary with some vehicles. There are some that will shut off after 15 minutes if you don't come to the car in that timeframe. At this point, this is all research so that I can figure out what I will need if I buy Vehicle A, or if I need anything at all by buying vehicle B, etc..... There are many vehicles on the market where the auto-start feature will do what I want to do. There are others though that won't work for one reason or another. At this point, I have not narrowed down my vehicle choices.

I fully expect that in the next few years auto makers will install a "pet mode" on these systems to keep the car running and the temperature moderated but with some kind of fail-safe alarm like the SOS horn signal, or in the case of many cars, sending a text message. They will never call it "child-mode" because of liability if there's a malfunction. My guess is that Subaru will be first since they market heavily to pet owners. This is a huge topic on one of the greyhound forums that I'm on, as there are many people who travel alone with one or more hounds and have to deal with this at rest areas or food stops where the hound is not allowed in the building unless it is a service dog.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Criminalistics, Inc, Designer & Manufacturer of Innovative Law Enforcement Systems

ACEK9.COM By Radiotronics,Inc. Home

Keep in mind that these are only PART of the tool. Vehicles that are being converted are often equipped with secondary warning systems and always equipped with window roll-downs (with screens). Many of these vehicles are duty rated and can handle idling with the A/C on. Some vehicles just can't sustain prolonged A/C and often, the compressors shut down to prevent overheating.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
EVModules said:
Criminalistics, Inc, Designer & Manufacturer of Innovative Law Enforcement Systems

ACEK9.COM By Radiotronics,Inc. Home

Keep in mind that these are only PART of the tool. Vehicles that are being converted are often equipped with secondary warning systems and always equipped with window roll-downs (with screens). Many of these vehicles are duty rated and can handle idling with the A/C on. Some vehicles just can't sustain prolonged A/C and often, the compressors shut down to prevent overheating.

Thanks! That may help narrow down the vehicle selection and/or options with the cooling system and AC. The idling time would usually be fairly minimal; just enough for a quick break. There's always that worst case scenario to think about, like the kind of heat we are having now!

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
MESDA6 said:
Beautiful pup!

I'm finding that the auto start capabilities / features really vary with some vehicles. There are some that will shut off after 15 minutes if you don't come to the car in that timeframe. At this point, this is all research so that I can figure out what I will need if I buy Vehicle A, or if I need anything at all by buying vehicle B, etc..... There are many vehicles on the market where the auto-start feature will do what I want to do. There are others though that won't work for one reason or another. At this point, I have not narrowed down my vehicle choices.

I fully expect that in the next few years auto makers will install a "pet mode" on these systems to keep the car running and the temperature moderated but with some kind of fail-safe alarm like the SOS horn signal, or in the case of many cars, sending a text message. They will never call it "child-mode" because of liability if there's a malfunction. My guess is that Subaru will be first since they market heavily to pet owners. This is a huge topic on one of the greyhound forums that I'm on, as there are many people who travel alone with one or more hounds and have to deal with this at rest areas or food stops where the hound is not allowed in the building unless it is a service dog.

Thanks.

I'm not talking as a stock option though. The auto-start I have on my silverado is a viper autostart.

It's got configurable settings... example: I hit remote start, it starts... its going to run for an hour straight. If it's running and I hit that button, it will keep the vehicle running for an hour.

I hit 2 buttons, it automatically starts up for 30 minutes, then waits for 30 minutes. Then again, I drive a diesel crew cab. The AC keeps things cool inside even if it's 120 so take it for what it's worth.

The auto-start only option, you'd be looking at about $200 for a simple 1 way system that would take care of your furballs well enough ;)

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Im in the same boat as you looking for a heat alarm.. I really want the Ace Heat alarm that rolls down my windows and starts my window fan.

I am actually looking to buy one ASAP new or used. Where can i find the Ace systems online cheapest at?

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
fireman616wfd said:
Im in the same boat as you looking for a heat alarm.. I really want the Ace Heat alarm that rolls down my windows and starts my window fan.

I am actually looking to buy one ASAP new or used. Where can i find the Ace systems online cheapest at?

I would post what you are looking for in the appropriate Wanted section of this site. There are probably some dealers for those systems on here who are more apt to look at that section than this thread. They occasionally pop up on EBay used, but the search terms conflict with numerous other products, so you will have to narrow down your search to see what's there.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.