Looking for Pictures of Ford Fairmont Police cars

NoVAFed

Dec 28, 2011
Earth, USA, Northern VA
My first issued patrol car was a Mercury Zephyr, probably an 80 or 81. Ours were equipped with the 302's if I remember correctly. They ran great and were very quick, at least by 1981 standards. Ours had Setina cages, Yankee lightbars with Federal siren controllers and Dietz driving lights bolted to the end of the lightbar to serve as alley lights. Somebody figured out you could replace the spotlight bulb with an aircraft landing light bulb so everybody had those in their spotlights. Bright as day but very hot. You could blister your paint if you left the light pointing at the hood with the light on. Somebody else figured that by flipping over the lid on the aircleaner cover you'd get a more aggressive sound out of the engine. That drove the maintenance crew at the garage crazy.

Our Zephyr's were not police packages. Since we were expanding rapidly the Chief didn't wait for the police package cycle but ordered cars with towing packages from the local dealer. We also ran an assortment of Dodge Aspens that were police packages and a bunch of Oldsmobile Cutlasses that I believe were towing package cars too. We had one ancient Pontiac Phoenix (think Chevy Nova) whose pedigre is unknown. The chief drove an unmarked St. Regis, either a Dodge or Plymouth, I don't remember which.

Good grief, I feel really old after writing that. Looking back on it, it seems like the dark ages.

All you young guys/gals out there, take lots of pictures and notes because when you start looking back things get kind of hazy. I wish I had pictures of all these cars and could remember better what equipment we had.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Hoser said:
Jenny, nice pic of the S&W Clear bar, this is a first for me. Seen tons of Red/Blue or Red.

well my wonderful powers of observation have revealed that forum member EL1998P71 has a clear S&W bar! If you look closely in this video, there is a clear one missing the speaker cover on the shelf right above the Green/Purple Excaliber! we should ask him to post some pics! found it in this thread:http://elightbars.org/forums/f18/code-3-excaliber-restoration-green-purple-35795/

ai227.photobucket.com_albums_dd151_EL1998P71_Lightbars_th_001_1.jpg

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
NoVAFed said:
My first issued patrol car was a Mercury Zephyr, probably an 80 or 81. Ours were equipped with the 302's if I remember correctly. They ran great and were very quick, at least by 1981 standards. Ours had Setina cages, Yankee lightbars with Federal siren controllers and Dietz driving lights bolted to the end of the lightbar to serve as alley lights. Somebody figured out you could replace the spotlight bulb with an aircraft landing light bulb so everybody had those in their spotlights. Bright as day but very hot. You could blister your paint if you left the light pointing at the hood with the light on. Somebody else figured that by flipping over the lid on the aircleaner cover you'd get a more aggressive sound out of the engine. That drove the maintenance crew at the garage crazy.
Our Zephyr's were not police packages. Since we were expanding rapidly the Chief didn't wait for the police package cycle but ordered cars with towing packages from the local dealer. We also ran an assortment of Dodge Aspens that were police packages and a bunch of Oldsmobile Cutlasses that I believe were towing package cars too. We had one ancient Pontiac Phoenix (think Chevy Nova) whose pedigre is unknown. The chief drove an unmarked St. Regis, either a Dodge or Plymouth, I don't remember which.

Good grief, I feel really old after writing that. Looking back on it, it seems like the dark ages.

All you young guys/gals out there, take lots of pictures and notes because when you start looking back things get kind of hazy. I wish I had pictures of all these cars and could remember better what equipment we had.

My first Patrol Vehicle was a 1972 Chev. Impala .Now that does make me feel old

Crown_Vics

Aug 30, 2010
Southern Arizona
OSP959® said:
Ohio State Highway Patrol 1981 Ford Fairmont
That is a wonderful picture! it looks just like it!
Maxim2Eng said:
Whatcha askin? I would much rather have a 75-77 9C1 Nova, but that appears to be a well-preserved specimen. Would love to know the specs. IMHO, the JetSonic looked best on the Fairmont ala OKC cars.
I was asking $2500. for it. I sold this Fairmont last month!
It has been turned into a U.S. Army Military police car replica, here are some pics the new owner sent me. The code 3 Lp bar is only temporaray until the proper Federal Twinsonic that will be mounted on it is restored. enjoy!

1347669767416.jpg

1347669763508.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustang302

Nov 26, 2011
Waterbury, CT
wow those pictures brought some memories I remembered driving those when I was on Enfield Ct PD..we had those cars they were blue and white with a whelen candlestick bar..wish i had a photo..all the guys hated those cars..but they were good on gas..always broke down..they were cool looking though..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.