Looking to get a Whelen 4500 series up and running for home use

casualmaleXL

Dec 1, 2020
Illinois
Howdy,

I have this nice Whelen 4500-series (maybe 5000-series) build-a-bar lightbar I won at auction a few years back. After sitting in the garage for a few years I'd like to get it running. I'm a newbie when it comes to lightbars but I have hobbyist electric skills (soldering, splicing, multimeter-ing).

Looking for some pointers on how to get this thing running. I've attatched a picture of the spliced wires coming out the back, some of them are labelled but I'm not sure how to power them. Do I need a control box? Can I hook it up to a transformer? Looking for any and all technical manuals/tips/pointers/anecdotes/etc.

I enjoy hosting gatherings and this lightbar would make for some cool functional decor.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

4500 series brochure

labels.png

image1-jpeg.226952

image3-jpeg.226950

Attachments

• 1707690398394.jpeg
    1707690398394.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 2

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The 4500 Super AdvantEdge has endcaps that wrap around into end lenses, and it has lens dividers that are held on with screws. This is not a 4500 bar.

casualmaleXL

Dec 1, 2020
Illinois

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
You will need a strobe power supply for the three strobe lights. If you can find one the Whelen isp94 was always a favorite of mine and quite bright.

You’ll need some strobe cable extensions and a place to mount the PS, but would add another layer of affect at a party.

If you’ve got anyone prone to seizures at your party, may wanna hold off running the bar as all the flashes particularly up close can induce seizures.

Seth

Reactions: casualmaleXL

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.