Loudest Compact Speaker?

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
Hey Folks, I'm new here and soon will be doing my own installs... I unfortunately will be limited to "behind the grill but unobstructed (from behind the 'honeycomb')" siren speaker installation. I would LOVE to mount the old rectangular bell housed speakers (because those are definitely the loudest) but will not be able to. I have read many, and mixed reviews about the new "compact" speakers. Some have good reviews, some have bad reviews, but the problem is that 99% have BOTH.... could you please provide your opinions and experiences with compact speakers. My thinking is "the 'longer' the bell cone, the better/louder the sound"..... is this true? I will be mounting 2 speakers behind my grill for simultaneous sound from a 200W siren; crappy deal is that I just don't have room for the traditional rectangular cone speakers that I love.  Thanks folks!!

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Feniex Typhoon

The ones with the longer bell seem to project better, making them seem louder even if the actual decibels are the same.  And if they project better, it stands to reason that people will hear them sooner, so yes, go with the longest ones you can fit.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Typhoons listed above.  Good speaker with a decent length bell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AJ3814

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
And I'm happy with my Triton, bought from the same vendor.

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
Great info! Thanks folks! I actually did some measurements, and it looks (so far) as if the Typhoon will not only fit better than others in the room I have to work with, but is also much cheaper than the "big name brands". Since I have a '15 4Runner, my options are severely limited. So far I've only been able to find one aftermarket "grille guard" and it's made by Toyota.... so I may do an exterior mount.... just haven't decided yet.

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
Thank you NathanR!! And others for your responses!!

emcom

Apr 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
I got a AS124 on my Charger and wouldn't take anything for it. Its a big speaker, but it puts out big sound. The CPI was mounted behind the + shape in the grille muffling it severely.

Here is where the AS124 is (CPI speaker barely visible to left of LED assembly still hooked up in parallel, but it doesn't do much):

ai494.photobucket.com_albums_rr304_Officer512_AS124Charger.jpg

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
+1 on both the AS124 and CPI speakers.

The CPI was plenty loud enough to be heard over a straight pipe Cummins, the AS124 is a big speaker, that I just shoe horned behind the grille of a Honda Fit.

uploadfromtaptalk1427318539072.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427318554924.jpg

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
Thanks for the additional insight. I always assumed that "the rule" was going to be that no matter who made it, any compact speaker would be not near as good as the "old bell" speakers.

AJ

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
I don't know if this same idea necessarily applies to siren speakers...

When you are looking at how loud a normal speaker would be, you look at 2 things, output power, which the standard is 100/200, and magnet construction.

Generally the magnet won't make a speaker louder, but a thicker magnet would sound more full, and be of better quality.

Ultimately though, it comes down to how much output you have, to how loud it will be.

You can put 100 watts to a speaker with a 5 lb driver, or a 1 lb driver, it will still be 100 watts either way.

The other key factor is placement, it doesn't matter how loud it is, if the sound isn't going in the right direction.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
One other thing to look for in speakers is sound quality most cheap speakers have a crackle at high pitch wail and yelp. I know the federal ES100, Whelen SA315p and SA314 are very good speakers I almost want to say that the metal speakers ES100 and SA314 have better sound

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The metal ES100 is no longer available from Federal Signal. It has been superseded by the composite ES100C, which was released about six months ago.

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
AS124, best speakers on the market.
By any chance have you heard the Typhoon made by Feneix? If so, how does it compare?

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
Awesome! Thank you very much for the personal insight!! I certainly wasn't going to second guess any of the experience shared here, but I couldn't help but remember how "loud" the old regular speakers were when they had the standard rectangular bell on them, and how unimpressed I have been with every compact speaker I have heard so far. I just was a little leary because of the so small "bell" on the AS124's. Now I guess it's time for me to get off my butt and go test some. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
By any odd chance have any of you heard the BP 200 in person?

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
I'm not a huge fan of the PA300. The yelp tone is too high pitched, and doesn't have enough variance in it.... but I do like the PA200 a LOT.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.