Makeshift Lightbar concepts/ideas?

Triple_Blox

Dec 7, 2023
Los Angeles, CA
Dumb idea, here goes.

So I've seen the Clark County (NV) Fire dept using a bunch of Whelen M series light heads mounted sideways for forward facing lighting on their rigs. I've seen Michigan State Patrol using LED beacons, as well as another county sheriff that used two LED beacons for an old-school setup. What is stopping departments from mounting a bunch of Whelen LED beacons in a V shape and calling it a lightbar? It's a dumb idea, but wouldn't it be very customizable? And the addition of Rota-Beams on corners could mean better intersection lighting? It would be a good replacement for the Vision SLR which I heard has bad off angle lighting, right?

Picture a Vision with the pods swapped with LED Rota-Beams and normal LED beacons...

Any opinions? Any rebuttal?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I retrofitted a pair of M6s into an old vector years ago (offset 45deg) and it was awesome. Youtube has video of an MX converted with led beacons (I think the person is also an elb member).

It's not a terrible idea. It is very cost prohibitive and there are solutions already available. I see more depts using multi colors and full flood options more often than not these days (at least in my area). The concept would be neat to do, it's just not practical today with the multitude of other functions we expect warning lights to do.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.