Making a home made dashlight

hvfd525

May 21, 2010
Tennessee
I wanted to make my own LED daslight.

I know that radio shack had the single LEDs, but I didn't know if that was all I needed.

Would I just wire half up to one wire and the other to another wire and connect to led flasher, or would I need to use resistors?

Don't use radio shack for leds....SOOOOO over priced...

superbrightleds.com is where i bought mine from at a very good price with fast shipping...

sorry if i sound like a billboard.

If you need, i have a couple hundred high quality 10mm LEDs and resistors to go with them... I have clearly evolved past the simple home made light and no longer require them. Hit me up, all colors, cheap.

I was just going to start a new thread on this, but seeing this is here, I'll just add on.

This is a self-made dashlight I just finished, I've been working on it for several months. It originally started when I saw a computer screen cleaning kit in a shop. It came in a transparent blue box that was just screaming to be made into a dashlight.

ai45.tinypic.com_2q8a4qc.jpg

This is 18 4-chip 10mm LEDs on the circuit board. Each LED is roughly the equivalent of four regular 5mm Gen I LEDs.

ai47.tinypic.com_2h660as.jpg

ai48.tinypic.com_35id9o6.jpg

ai46.tinypic.com_2wheewx.jpg

ai45.tinypic.com_2ue0g2b.jpg

Inside is a flasher from board member Changchungleds. As of now, there is no flashback shield or mounting bracket - though it probably could just be Velcroed to the dash. I probably won't be using this, but it was a fun project.

Intensity-wise, I'd say that it is a little bit brighter than a Hawk-I.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381