Making new vintage model domes

JohnMarcson

Site Founder
Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Has anyone looked into what it would take to have someone manufacture replica vintage domes? I'm almost sure someone had new winsonic domes made (Ryan?).

Ryan and I spoke about this some time ago and the basic conclusion is that it would be very cost prohibitive. Manufacture would likely have to occur in China to keep costs somewhat down but even then, it would still not be worth it. Who wouldn't love to have a freshly minted blue Twin dome. Of course that would ruin the thrill of the hunt for those searching for what is still left out there either NOS or nice used.

motorolamaniac said:
Ryan and I spoke about this some time ago and the basic conclusion is that it would be very cost prohibitive. Manufacture would likely have to occur in China to keep costs somewhat down but even then, it would still not be worth it. Who wouldn't love to have a freshly minted blue Twin dome. Of course that would ruin the thrill of the hunt for those searching for what is still left out there either NOS or nice used.

I was thinking some Commander 5200 domes or 8000 series bars.... but yeah it would be great. I seem to remember a minimum order of 100 domes being tossed around last time this came up..... that's a lot. Hmmm......

Well here we go, Federal Signal holds the injection molds for all of their domes/lenses. These will not be sold..Trust me I have asked. For an injection molding company to make a set of inner and outer molds I am looking at $8000.00. I have a minimum order of 100 domes first off. I would do Blue as these would be easiest to sell at a margin of say $200 per dome to break even on all of the above.

This would cover my cost of molds and first 100 domes. But then again could I even sell 100 blue domes??

Well, molding artists can replicate models with existing pieces of almost anything using different techniques...

Some domes might be quite complicated, but twinsonic domes seems pretty simple in forms and shapes...

Just throwing the idea in the wild.... ;)

Who knows...

I thought molds were $20-$30K for a small one, but I guess it depends on how "complicated" it is w/how many twists, turns, etc.

$8k is a lot but not nearly as bad as I thought...

But then how much are the plastic pellets & everything else needed to make them, etc?

I'm assuming you could make all the colors then you'd have no problem selling 100 domes, but I have no clue how much the pellets would cost or how much you have to buy....great idea though.....

100 domes is minimum of 1 color which equals 55 gallon drum of pellets. New domes would cost in the $150 range after the molds are paid off. But shoot can you really imagine me having 100 red 100 blue 100 clear 100 amber and 100 green domes???

I guess it's not worth it..... too bad.

Oh it would be worth it.. I just dont have the capital to put up.

ryan said:
Oh it would be worth it.. I just dont have the capital to put up.

If you need the money I could buy some of your Twins, Thats if you need the money badly. Starting with the code red Twin :lol:

ryan said:
100 domes is minimum of 1 color which equals 55 gallon drum of pellets. New domes would cost in the $150 range after the molds are paid off. But shoot can you really imagine me having 100 red 100 blue 100 clear 100 amber and 100 green domes???

You don't now? :lol:

This part of collecting is frustrating. I mean, the molds are sitting at these places doing nothing & people like us would love to see/have the product. But the big companies say no, there's no more & there won't be. & yes I know it costs money to run the line & make the lenses, etc, but ..just....Ugh!..... :roll:

i enjoy being broke because of my twinsonic addiction...I cant let any of them go.

Oh... I am a hoarder...I have like 40 model 12's, 30 or so 12X's and prolly 5-10 of every other model out there.

We have a plastic company in town. After seeing the $1000 Green Lens on ebay I wondered if new lens might be somthing worth looking into.

Reactions: denko3

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381