Man ambushes Emergency Responders.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
mcpd2025 said:
I know its impossible, I know that I am as guilty as the next... but NEVER LET YOUR GUARD DOWN.

Very good words of Wisdom. Most never give it a thought when your dealing with a patient or any emergent situation and your so focused on what is going on. Its coming to trust no one while on a scene except those that are working with you, and always keep an eye on your surrounding's and those in the area.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Unfortunately, being ever vigilant leads to nonsense courtesy complaints sometimes. If you are on heightened alert and treat everyone as a potential threat, inevitably you are going to upset someone and get a complaint, or you are going to have a video posted on youtube and have people talk trash about you because they don't understand why you are reacting a certain way.

The problem is that you might know that you aren't a threat to me, but I don't have any clue until the encounter is over. There are countless stories of otherwise benign encounters that suddenly turn violent becuase an officer lets down his/her guard too early. I've had a little teenage crackhead try to take my gun out of my holster before. I've had an old man sucker punch my in the face. I thought he was having a medical emergency, turns out he was just a belligerent drunk. I've had an "injured suspect" turn and fight toe to toe with me when I took the cuffs off for fireboard to assess him. Thankfully I have never been seriously hurt on the job but I have made plenty of mistakes that could have been fatal... usually when I am more concerned about how the public views me than about officer safety.

Its a balancing act, I know. I would rather be viewed an asshole and see my wife and daughter one more time than have people talk about how nice of an officer I was at my funeral.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
To echo what mcpd said, and what many administrators have forgotten; we're in public safety, not customer service. We're not going to please everyone all the time. If I piss someone off by being assertive, oh well... at least I will be going home.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
rwo978 said:
what many administrators have forgotten; we're in public safety, not customer service. We're not going to please everyone all the time. If I piss someone off by being assertive, oh well... at least I will be going home.
Unfortunately, more and more young officers are learning that the easiest and safest way to get through a shift is to avoid dealing with people in general. Going to Panera, Dunkin Donuts, 7-11, the local gas station, hiding in parks, etc etc is becoming the way that a lot of officers "police" now. At times its hard to blame them when you have administrators who would nickle and dime you to death.

In my department, patrol lieutenants are responsible for checking timesheets and handling complaints. If you don't screw up your time sheet and don't get complaints, you are a good officer. If you have a complicated timesheet (ie overtime for court, prisoner processing, states attorney conferences) or you get a complaint... you are on that LT's shitlist. Any good supervisor knows that if you don't get an occasional complaint, you aren't doing your job. Too bad my department doesn't have too many good supervisors anymore...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.