Mars "Mystery Light"

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Just when I thought I had seen it all! I just came across this from a 1971 Mars catalog. The Mars Mystery Light. An oscillating bumper mounted light with a motorized flip down license plate bracket. They would have to be super rare. Anyone ever seen one? I have a new obsession. I must have one!

$(KGrHqJHJEEFH,m18oO2BR5duPW1SQ~~60_57.jpg

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
I was reading about this style light on some limos somewhere, just recently. It didn't say the brand of the light but, its great to find out it was a Mars product!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
That's some James Bond style lighting there. I'd love to see JennyCop get one bumper and all.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
And you didn't take pictures of it??? Do you still have access to this den?

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Wonder how many were lost due to collisions, possible another reason not too many exist.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Zapp Brannigan said:
Wonder how many were lost due to collisions, possible another reason not too many exist.

I don't think these are even legal to use in front plate states on vehicles that require a plate. Combine that with all the moving parts mounted down that low you are looking at a light doomed to obsolescence.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
JohnMarcson said:
That's some James Bond style lighting there. I'd love to see JennyCop get one bumper and all.
It is an awesome light and the James bond style is what makes it! Trust me John, I have already begun my expedition on the quest for the Mars Mystery Light with bumper!

jtf027 said:
I know of ONE of these... in a guy's den in Kenosha, WI........ I visited it last week. LOL
Get back there and get us some pics mister!

PC Comms said:
And you didn't take pictures of it??? Do you still have access to this den?
Right!? Hello! :duh:

Last edited by a moderator:

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
kitn1mcc said:
i wonder if that would even be effective

Maybe not so much in today's brightly lit world, but at the time it would have been blinding and the only light you needed. Remember, there was no such thing as daytime running lights, and streetlights were few and far between in most areas except major cities. It stood out, day or night.

The first ambulance i drove had a Mars light mounted on each front corner of the box - at times you would have to turn them off because it became hard to drive with all of that moving light in front of you.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I had almost forgotten about those lights. Seems like they were a variation of either the older DL8 lights (the traditional "figure 8") or the early 888s. I've never seen one in operation, so I'm not sure. The DL8s used a bulb-reflector rather than the sealed beams of the 888s. We had a DL8 on an old ambulance years ago that we used a 1019 bulb (from a jr. beacon) on and it was bright!

This also reminds me of a Texas DPS car I saw when I was just a little kid (the first time around!). It was on a 1950 Ford sedan, and on the front bumper where the bullet-shape was located on the bumpers of the '50-'51 Fords, a Federal Propello Ray was mounted in that spot. Very spectacular for its day.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Commissioner Quinn Had a Caddy Fleetwood Limo as his car. The car is around still today and makes an occasional appearance at Fire shows The only lights he had were a pair or 5in Unity chrome grille lights with red and green. He had a Mars mechanical siren under the hood.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Skip Goulet said:
This also reminds me of a Texas DPS car I saw when I was just a little kid (the first time around!). It was on a 1950 Ford sedan, and on the front bumper where the bullet-shape was located on the bumpers of the '50-'51 Fords, a Federal Propello Ray was mounted in that spot. Very spectacular for its day.

Here you go Skip:

1949Federalcatalog8.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Henry455 said:
Here you go Skip:

Wow! That's it, Tim. What catalog is that from, the '48 issue you have listed on the site? Another interesting PropelloRay mountI saw was on a '55 Ford sedan-delivery ambulance in Odessa. The amblance a roof-mount Q with a pair of red FS3 lights and the PropelloRay mounted on the front center of the Hood. The interesting thing about this old rig was that it had a 6-volt system. But it had an 8-volt Jeep battery. The Q was 12-volt. The lights shined nice and brightly, but the Q would only get to a little better than half-speed and then choke out. I always feared that they'd get into a wreck like that, and sure enough they did. They were going thru a red light and they were hit. The guy who hit them said he never saw or heard them. The investigating officer wasn't aware of the "glitch" with the old ambulance, so when he rolled the siren over slightly it worked and the other guy cited for failure to yield right of way.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.