Mc Dermott Light

Rich M.

Apr 13, 2011
USA Maryland
I am looking for information on what I believe will be a Mc Dermott light.

Years ago, before Baltimore City police had the Federal beacon rays, I believe they had Mc Dermott roof lights. If my childhood memory serves me correctly, the light frame was black and it had four red (lights) lenses. The bulbs did not rotate, but the front/back and side lights would alternate flashing.

Again dipping into the old memory, I believe I remember seeing this style light on tow trucks.

Is anyone familiar with this light? Possible model? Any pictures?

Lastly, does anyone have an extra one of these lights that might be collecting dust?

Thanks for the help.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
Rich M. said:
I am looking for information on what I believe will be a Mc Dermott light.

Years ago, before Baltimore City police had the Federal beacon rays, I believe they had Mc Dermott roof lights. If my childhood memory serves me correctly, the light frame was black and it had four red (lights) lenses. The bulbs did not rotate, but the front/back and side lights would alternate flashing.

Again dipping into the old memory, I believe I remember seeing this style light on tow trucks.

Is anyone familiar with this light? Possible model? Any pictures?

Lastly, does anyone have an extra one of these lights that might be collecting dust?

Thanks for the help.

Rich

Your looking for the beacon in this photo? I don't remember the name, but I'm sure someone here will.

1957_FORD_RD_23_NEW_BLINKING_LIGHT.jpg

Courtesy of William Hackley BALTIMORE POLICE VEHICLE HISTORY

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
The silver thing is a bell.

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
Correct it is a bell. In the Fire Service we call them gongs. These were early warning systems, long before the siren. They were used on Chiefs buggy's and horse drawn units as well.

Rich M.

Apr 13, 2011
USA Maryland
You found the light and you found it on a City police car - nice job.

Now the task, if at all possible, is to find one of these lights.

Thanks for the photo.

Rich

Rich M.

Apr 13, 2011
USA Maryland
Do you know Hackley?

We talked in an email sometime ago. He was the person who provided me with the light information and set my memory of being a kid in Baltimore City in motion. I have emailed him several times recently, but did not get a reply.

Rich

50theman said:
Your looking for the beacon in this photo? I don't remember the name, but I'm sure someone here will.
View attachment 27239

Courtesy of William Hackley BALTIMORE POLICE VEHICLE HISTORY

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
Rich M. said:
Do you know Hackley?

We talked in an email sometime ago. He was the person who provided me with the light information and set my memory of being a kid in Baltimore City in motion. I have emailed him several times recently, but did not get a reply.

Rich

PM sent

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
Oh yeah, I have a couple of those.

This came from New York, and was painted a cream color, but was a "school bus yellow/orange" under that cream paint. I truly believe, but cannot document, that this was originally on a NY police car. Maybe port authority or Long island.

It also has two Par36 bulbs, and two Par46 bulbs.

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_McDermott_20Mars_20888_McDermottMars888002.jpg

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_McDermott_20Mars_20888_McDermottMars888001.jpg

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_McDermott_20Mars_20888_McDermottMars888005.jpg

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_McDermott_20Mars_20888_McDermottMars888004.jpg

This one also came from New York and has red paint on it. Maybe from a fire truck, or when NYPD had red and white cars.

This one has four Par46 sealed beams.

I do plan on completely restoring both of these.

On a side note, lenses are still available brand new from McDermott for these. I bought a new red one last year. McDermott part number #8-12, $49.99 plus shipping.

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_McDermott_20Mars_20888_1269362088.jpg

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
Oh yes...

60-65 hours a week at the auto parts store.

Training new firefighters every Tues. & Thurs. from 6pm-10pm.

Keeping all 4 cars and the motorcycle running, as well as girlfriends car and her daughters.

etc. etc. etc....

I'm BEAT !! Just turned 50 also.

ny04350

Aug 12, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
CFD, very impressive McDermott light collection. To help you out on a couple of points:

Your light with yellow paint is most likely from the Port of New York Authority Police, the early NY-NJ Port Authority Police. They ran chrome yellow police cars from the 50s right up to the late 60s, then went yellow-blue up to about the early 90s. I have several images of their cars with McDermott lights, circa late 50s. (unfortunately none on the computer I'm currently on)

Nassau County PD also used the McDermott light extensively. During their tenure the lights would have been orange, as they blended into the orange roofs.

NYC Transit Police and NYC Housing Police, both separate from the NYPD until the 90s merger, ran them as well. Pictured below is a NYC Transit 58 Chevy. Although the image is black & white, I'm aware the cars were green and black. The green was a much brighter shade than the green used by NYPD. The Housing PD cars were blue & orange, similar to Nassau County PD.

To clarify one point, the NYPD NEVER had red & white cars, nor did they use this type of McDermott light. You may have the replica "Car 54" 61 Plymouth in mind. That car is featured on many an Internet photo. The TV cars for that show were painted red & white, as opposed to green & white, so they would not be confused with actual NYPD cars of that time. The red & white cars appeared the same on black & white TV.

It is possible that the light you have with red paint could have been used by FDNY, although they did not use them that much. It could also be a Long Island Fire department, or a faded orange Nassau County light.

The photos below are the NYC Transit 58 Chevy, the replica Car 54 TV car, a restored Nassau County 59 Chevy, and a restored Greenwich CT PD 64 Plymouth that has its McDermott in natural aluminum, not painted.

NYunk58chev-vi.jpg

June92007017-vi.jpg

Image077-vi.jpg

DSC00097-vi.jpg

IMG_2811-vi.jpg

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
CFD125 said:

This came from New York, and was painted a cream color, but was a "school bus yellow/orange" under that cream paint. I truly believe, but cannot document, that this was originally on a NY police car. Maybe port authority or Long island.

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_McDermott_20Mars_20888_McDermottMars888002.jpg

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_McDermott_20Mars_20888_McDermottMars888001.jpg

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_McDermott_20Mars_20888_McDermottMars888005.jpg

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_McDermott_20Mars_20888_McDermottMars888004.jpg

This one also came from New York and has red paint on it. Maybe from a fire truck, or when NYPD had red and white cars.

This one has four Par46 sealed beams.

I do plan on completely restoring both of these.

On a side note, lenses are still available brand new from McDermott for these. I bought a new red one last year. McDermott part number #8-12, $49.99 plus shipping.

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_McDermott_20Mars_20888_1269362088.jpg

Simply awesome Grand Daddy old school lights thanks for sharing!

Todd:D:D:D

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
Thanks for the info NY,

I did know that Nassau County had those blue/orange cars, and thought that mine might be from one, but it is a little too yellow in my opinion. Who knows, it might have been on a DPW truck or a street sweeper.

I didn't realize that Car 54 was only painted like that for television... learn something new every day.

A Litlle off topic, but I'm a HUGE train/railroad nut (nutcase says my girlfriend), and I have a few McDermott railroad lamps also.

This one is what is known as "Blue flag protection". Any time you see a blue lantern, light, or flag on a track or engine or RR car, it means that it is being worked on by shop crews, and it is not allowed to be moved or altered in any way untill the worker that put the blue flag there removes it.

Kind of like a "lockout tag" in a plant.

Sorry for the crappy pic's..didn't have my camera with me.

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_McDermott_20Mars_20888_Picture0320120740_1.jpg

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_McDermott_20Mars_20888_Picture0320120738_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
ny04350 said:
CFD, very impressive McDermott light collection. To help you out on a couple of points:

Your light with yellow paint is most likely from the Port of New York Authority Police, the early NY-NJ Port Authority Police. They ran chrome yellow police cars from the 50s right up to the late 60s, then went yellow-blue up to about the early 90s. I have several images of their cars with McDermott lights, circa late 50s. (unfortunately none on the computer I'm currently on)

Nassau County PD also used the McDermott light extensively. During their tenure the lights would have been orange, as they blended into the orange roofs.

NYC Transit Police and NYC Housing Police, both separate from the NYPD until the 90s merger, ran them as well. Pictured below is a NYC Transit 58 Chevy. Although the image is black & white, I'm aware the cars were green and black. The green was a much brighter shade than the green used by NYPD. The Housing PD cars were blue & orange, similar to Nassau County PD.

To clarify one point, the NYPD NEVER had red & white cars, nor did they use this type of McDermott light. You may have the replica "Car 54" 61 Plymouth in mind. That car is featured on many an Internet photo. The TV cars for that show were painted red & white, as opposed to green & white, so they would not be confused with actual NYPD cars of that time. The red & white cars appeared the same on black & white TV.

It is possible that the light you have with red paint could have been used by FDNY, although they did not use them that much. It could also be a Long Island Fire department, or a faded orange Nassau County light.

The photos below are the NYC Transit 58 Chevy, the replica Car 54 TV car, a restored Nassau County 59 Chevy, and a restored Greenwich CT PD 64 Plymouth that has its McDermott in natural aluminum, not painted.
this is information that you have had for awhile!

thanks for posting and sharing.

Todd:D

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
CFD125 said:

[Broken External Image]:http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/CFD125/McDermott Mars 888/McDermottMars888004.jpg[/img

can you show a video of these lights in action?

Thanks

Todd:D

phil42089

Dec 17, 2010
Long Island, NY
CFD125 said:
Thanks for the info NY,

I did know that Nassau County had those blue/orange cars, and thought that mine might be from one, but it is a little too yellow in my opinion. Who knows, it might have been on a DPW truck or a street sweeper.

I remember seeing these lights on some Town of Hempstead DPW vehicles which were mostly yellow. Back when I was a kid, my neighbor worked for the Highway Dept. and would bring his huge FWD dump truck home on his lunch break. Wish I had taken pictures of that thing.

ny04350

Aug 12, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
phil42089 said:
If CFD's light had a yellow lens, then it might be from a highway truck. But its a red lens, therefore it was probably an emergency vehicle, thus my suggestion that it was probably a Port Authority light if it came from NY.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
ny04350 said:

I love that Car 54 replica; although I thought the originals were a metallic blue. Here in Midland, the PD also used the '61 Plymouths, and fixed one up for shows to look like Car 54. And they even had Toody and Muldoon! :p

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Car 54 was probably painted red & white for camera purposes. The black & white cameras used for TV shows in the late 50s/early 60s had problems with the contrast between some colors...

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
dustymedic said:
Car 54 was probably painted red & white for camera purposes. The black & white cameras used for TV shows in the late 50s/early 60s had problems with the contrast between some colors...

That's the explanation I always heard too.

phil42089

Dec 17, 2010
Long Island, NY
ny04350 said:
I don't recall ever seeing a Port Authority vehicle having one of these lights which is not to say that it is impossible that it was on a PA vehicle. It is in fact a red lens... which could have replaced an OEM amber lens. Therefore it is possible that it could have originally came from a highway truck or something other than an emergency vehicle, painted, and repurposed, thus my suggestion of another plausible source for the beacon if it came from NY (or anywhere else for that matter).

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
I definitely remember them on PAPD cars back in the day, can't say that I ever noticed the 2 different sized sealed beams inside, but I do recall the non-moving flash and the tin-man metal cover. And the PA vehicles were yellow at that time.

Rich M.

Apr 13, 2011
USA Maryland
Thanks to everyone for their information and pictures.

I am still trying to find out information about this flashing McDermott light from the 50's. It appears that the light came in two different bulb configurations. One light has two Par 46 and two Par 36 bulbs while the other light has four Par 46 bulbs. This can be seen in the pictures posted by board member CFD125.

It seems from the little bit of litature that I could find is that McDermott offered a car and truck model. My guess this is the reason for the two models.

Does anyone have any information that may be helpful in my research on this light

Thanks,

Rich

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Very nice, Dan. I've never seen one of those down this way. But I used to see the "M" lights which were quite similar to this McDermott light. Didn't you say one time that you had an "M" light?

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
Alas, my McDermott light with both par36 and par46 sealed beams is now in Rich's posession.

I know what it's like to really want something, so I bit the bullet and sold it to him.

Look for an upcoming restoration thread from him.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
CFD125 said:
Alas, my McDermott light with both par36 and par46 sealed beams is now in Rich's posession.

I know what it's like to really want something, so I bit the bullet and sold it to him.

Look for an upcoming restoration thread from him.

Contact me if you really have to have another one. I'll probably sell this one.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
Not quite sure what an M light is.

Dan: The "M" light came out in the '50s and was much like the McDermott light, but a much shorter profile. It had a small red dome and four sealed beams underneath that flashed sequentialy to give the impression of a rotating light at a distance. They were nice enough and were used extensively by the Ft. Worth P.D., and I saw them on a number of the military-style Pontiac ambulances. The original owners of Alert Ambulance in Big Spring bought an old '58 military hightop Pontiac ambulance around 1965 or so. It came with just one of those M lights on the front center of the high top and a small Federal EG siren behind the grill. It was bought solely for the purpose of transporting patients from a nursing home that was owned by the people who owned Alert. In fact, Alert Ambulance wasn't "born" until 1966, when the owner of Big Spring Ambulance called the P.D. dispatcher about 8:00 one night and told him that as of midnight they were gone! The police chief called Bruce Frazier, whose family owned the nursing home and informed him that as of midnight they would be the only ambulance in Big Spring. They started with the old Pontiac and quickly added a couple of station wagons. Since just the M light and the little EG siren weren't sufficient for actual emergency runs, Bruce added four double-faced flashing lights to the front and rear corners of the high roof, leaving the M light in place. He then placed a nice Sireno RJ18 siren over the cab. This siren was a medium sized siren about 7 1/2" in diameter and had a flashing red light on the front. Nothing spectacular, but it was better than what they started with. I went to work for Alert in 1967 and worked all summer until I had to go back to college that Fall. Quite an experience, as to work on the ambulance you also worked on the floor of the nursing home, and then had to drop what you were doing to run the ambulance call.

Lubbock Fire Dept. also bought a fleet of military Pontiacs. These were '55 lowtop models and, like Bruce's '58, came solely with an M light on the front center of the roof and the EG behind the grille. LFD added a pair of red Dietz lollipops to the front corners and a Federal 66G to the rt. front fenders of the Pontiacs. Interestingly enough, like Alert, Lubbock retained the "M" lights. You'd figure that by the mid-60s both outfits would've at least had full sized beacons, and maybe added light bars later on to those units. Nope!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
You wouldn't happen to have a picture, would you?

I think I still have a picture of one of the old Lubbock ambulances. I'll look and see. If I do, I'll make a copy and snail-mail to you. I'll need your address again, though.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Skip Goulet said:
I think I still have a picture of one of the old Lubbock ambulances. I'll look and see. If I do, I'll make a copy and snail-mail to you. I'll need your address again, though.

Dan: Watch your email. I just sent you a pic of the Pontiac ambulance with the "M" light and some of the old Lubbock FD Batt. Chief cars.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
Here it is.

Thanks for posting this, Dan. Guys....you'll notice that this "M" light has the contoured base to fit on the sloping roof of the ambulance. Most of the "M" lights were very low profile....almost as unnoticeable as today's small LED bars.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.