One of my two units for the K9 Section at McConnell AFB:

resize.jpg

resize2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Hoff,

What all does it have on it/in it? Obviously the Code 3 elightbar, but does it have wig-wags, tail light flashers, strobes, side warning, dash lights? As a now retired Defender, and as a former VCNCO I always was curious what other squadrons were doing with their vehicles. Plus are there any special K-9 goodies inside? K-9 cage/platform, door poppers, hot dog alarm? I tried hooking up the guys at the kennels with good stuff as much as I could.

Dennis

resQyou

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Well Dennis other than an American Alluminum Accessories K9 cage that's pretty much it. Very basic set up. A V-Con controls the bar and siren and of course the usuall Motorola mobile radio. Astro I think. It has a console but I don't know the brand. Everything is pretty old. I redid the graphics to what you see now. Before it didn't have the word "Police" or "Security Forces" on it anywhere. Brought it up the first week I got there and it only changed because they got ding'd on it during a self inspection.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
More pics

IMG_20110928_151256.jpg

IMG_20110830_091444.jpg

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Word is our Explorer is due for replacement. They said Equinox... :puke:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Hoff said:
Word is our Explorer is due for replacement. They said Equinox... :puke:

YUCKKKKKK!

Yes, the exploders haven't always been the most reliable beneath the hood (I still like them, though, as long as maintenance costs ain't coming out of my pocket), but a F'in equinox?!?! You're not working private security for some ritzy retirement community in Boca Raton, FL.

Anyways, hopefully whatever unit you get will have striping done properly on delivery (rather than you having to fix it). I would say that some changes I'd like to see in the graphics dept are:

1) Enlarge the logo on the front row doors, & have a 2-tone/color stripe going behind it across the whole side of the vehicle

2) The word "police" in large letters inside the stripe on the 2nd row door

3) "caution: work dog" (in one color) small font just below the 2nd row windows

4) "K-9 Unit" in BIG letters on the side window bet. the C & D posts

Yes, I was extremely specific on the striping lol, but that's because I do graphic design. Anyways, hopefully a killer graphics/striping package and a decent lighting setup (more than a rotator bar and a V-con) will help mask how ugly the equinox is. Any idea if they're gonna let you help spec some of the equipment in it, or if they're automatically just gonna do what too many agencies do (put whatever they want in it without asking the operator that will be using it on a daily basis)?

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
pdk9 said:
YUCKKKKKK!
Yes, the exploders haven't always been the most reliable beneath the hood (I still like them, though, as long as maintenance costs ain't coming out of my pocket), but a F'in equinox?!?! You're not working private security for some ritzy retirement community in Boca Raton, FL.

Anyways, hopefully whatever unit you get will have striping done properly on delivery (rather than you having to fix it). I would say that some changes I'd like to see in the graphics dept are:

1) Enlarge the logo on the front row doors, & have a 2-tone/color stripe going behind it across the whole side of the vehicle

2) The word "police" in large letters inside the stripe on the 2nd row door

3) "caution: work dog" (in one color) small font just below the 2nd row windows

4) "K-9 Unit" in BIG letters on the side window bet. the C & D posts

Yes, I was extremely specific on the striping lol, but that's because I do graphic design. Anyways, hopefully a killer graphics/striping package and a decent lighting setup (more than a rotator bar and a V-con) will help mask how ugly the equinox is. Any idea if they're gonna let you help spec some of the equipment in it, or if they're automatically just gonna do what too many agencies do (put whatever they want in it without asking the operator that will be using it on a daily basis)?

They spec'd libertys with cencoms for the replacement vehicles. Unfortunatly what you see is what we can do for graphics. It is specifically written that what you see is how "law enforcement sedans" are to be marked. The only things we could add is "Emergency Dial 911" on the rear fenders and two 4" blue stripes that run the length of the vehicle. Rememer these are DoD gov's use for LE... so we get nothing for funding, hence the minimalist markings.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Very neat. I like the simple design... The Impala looks really good.

Reminds me the USAF Dodge Aries I used to see at SHAPE in Mons in the late 80s... Had a funny green-ish color to them and very discreet markings on the doors.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.