Mechanical Siren Ford 12-0

Firefly Berlin

Apr 25, 2012
Germany / Berlin
Hi guys and gals,

a buddy on our german collectors board got this siren from his department.

They had it laying around for some years, it came there from the US forces, at least that's the guess.

Do you have any ideas where it could have been used, when was it manufactured, etc.?

Any help is greatly apreciated. ;) :D

attachment-9.jpeg

attachment-10.jpeg

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
Looks like it may be a Federal Model O - 12 volt. This was likely stripped out of the cowling and probably had a flashing light on front of the siren. The Model O was a standard siren/light on the Air Force Crash trucks in the 50's and 60's. Most of them were red, but the siren/lights on some ambulances and trucks were painted OD or grey.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Does not appear to be a model O, port design is different and seems larger. What is the bolt head looking item in the middle of the front cover? Can you measure the dia. of the rotor?

Model O.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I agree with Tim. It's not a Model O siren. It's a bit larger, and it doesn't appear to be Federal either. But it is about the size of their E-W series. There were a few independent companies back in the '40s and early '50s with sirens that were about the same size as the E-W sirens. One of them I mention in another thread, the Detroit-General Company. Their sirens were about the same size as the E-W sirens. Someone] obviously built it for Ford, and my guess just based on locality would've been Detroit-General.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Henry455 said:
Does not appear to be a model O, port design is different and seems larger. What is the bolt head looking item in the middle of the front cover? Can you measure the dia. of the rotor?

I missed your comment about the bolt when I first looked at this, Tim. I think that simply holds the grille in place. Also a second look at the motor suggests that it might be the size of a Model 28; but I still think it's something other than Federal.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.