Mercedes Fire Truck Anyone????

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Unimogs are EXTREMELY common and versatile over the Atlantic. They seem to use them for everything from fire trucks to lawn mowers

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
Yeah, and I hope they are more reliable over there than they were here, we couldnt go on a fire or off district without a mechanic on the road headin to us. Thing was ALWAYS breakin down. The most common thing was hydraulic failure.

We spent one winter replacing ALL the hydraulic hoses, everything on it was hydraulic, and it always failed. So we replaced everything thinking it was going to fix it. Never did. We used to piss off CALTRANS. We would be driving down the freeway, and the dozer blade, bout the size of a pick up truck snow plow, would just drop, and we would move over to the traffic lane lines and snap those little reflective dots off and watch em go flyin across the desert. lol then get back to the station and call the local CALTRANS and go, hey its us from BLM again, from mile marker xx to mile marker xx, snapped all the reflectors off again. lol I think they were part of the reason we got a new engine, they called our chief and said they were gonna start charging us. So until the new engine showed up, we had the blade chained up so it wouldnt fall. Kinda delayed us a little on fire attack if we were gonna use the blade, but oh well.

MARSMAN

Jun 14, 2011
LAS VEGAS NV. USA
The light looks like it was orginal equipment when this bad boy was over with our friends in Europe, so maybe a Bostch or Whelen or a Hella.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
Captain4164 said:
Yeah, and I hope they are more reliable over there than they were here, we couldnt go on a fire or off district without a mechanic on the road headin to us. Thing was ALWAYS breakin down. The most common thing was hydraulic failure.

I'm surprised by this. I always thought the Mogs were suppose to be very rugged dependable vehicles.

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
OSP959® said:
I'm surprised by this. I always thought the Mogs were suppose to be very rugged dependable vehicles.

When I worked for BLM we had 5 or 6 of them, and every one of them was a pile of junk. Had to order parts from Europe, mechanics had to have special training. BLM regretted having them. They were cool, when they worked there was nothing like them, go anywhere, very versatile, but not very reliable. Especially for a piece of fire equipment. Ive heard the later models are vast improvements over the older stuff.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Re: "... to lawn mowers"

Do they tend to put ruts in the yard?

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
JazzDad said:
Re: "... to lawn mowers"

Do they tend to put ruts in the yard?

Actually they are like Humvees, they have tire pressure monitor systems, and the tires can be inflated or deflated from the cab with the flip of a switch. We used that all the time as our response area had sand dunes, and we would sometimes hafta go in and pull trucks or stuck people out or for atv accidents in the dunes. So i would imagine they could air em down and not leave marks on the grass, dunno

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.