MI DNR Fire Control

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Each truck and it's components, with the exception of the chassis, pump, and poly tanks, are custom built at the DNR Forest Fire Experiment Station in Roscommon, Michigan.

The trucks are delivered as a cab and frame rails to the experiment station, where the body, brush guard, and plows are fabricated on site. I had the privilege to tour the facility (regrettably I did not take pictures) and it is quite an operation. They also outfit and service the tractor-plows, skidders, and tilt-beds/semis used by the department.

Without further ado:

uploadfromtaptalk1337357894822.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337357920871.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337357947120.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337357977152.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337358004393.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337358027788.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337358052562.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337358127247.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
Those Internationals are nice never seen a plow on back of a truck like that. How much water do they haul?

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Marc M said:
Those Internationals are nice never seen a plow on back of a truck like that. How much water do they haul?

950 gallons. Each truck has a Robwyn Foam System; the bladder volume varies a little from truck to truck. Lasts quite a while.

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
jprleedy4680 said:
Nice! Are you a keyman, too?

I haven't been able to do the keyman thing just yet. I would love to but I just don't have room in my schedule for it at this point. I have tons of pictures of DNR Parks & Rec trucks, but this is about it for Fire Control.

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
killCARB027 said:
The Michigan DNR Fire Control is one of my favorite fire departments because their fleet consists of both older and newer trucks most of which are equipped with Red halogen rotating beacons. It's still quite common to see rotating or strobe beacons on fire trucks & other emergency vehicles in Europe (albeit the small, crappy looking Euro-style beacons) and it's too bad that the use of halogen rotating beacons in the U.S. is now limited to either restored vintage emergency vehicles or maintenance trucks/construction equipment.

I like the beacons, too. Most of the trucks are in dire need of some mid, intersection, and lower-level warning, IMO. A single or double beacon set-up with a HLF just doesn't grab enough attention on apparatus this size. Looking at Andy L.'s pictures, it would seem that they are putting more lights on newer apparatus. The newer Navistar engine I have pictured has red Grote LED flashers to the front and rear, LINZ3 or similar on the brush guard sides, as well as the traditional beacon on the telescoping mount.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
The Oceana FO units have gotten a few upgrades. The Navistar has the traditional halogen beacons. It also had two Whelen LED beacons added to the mirrors and two Whelen LIN6 LEDs on the grille. Their Hummer also had two extra bulbs added into the Unity RV-25 beacon so it has a total of four bulbs. They also upgraded the front/side/rear lower flashers with LED. Those lights were terrible from the beginning - I have no idea why the DNR used DOT marker lights for warning. The upgraded LED marker lights on the Hummer are a little better, but far from good.

The Baldwin FO semi has a Whelen Mini-Edge in lieu of the halogen beacons. It is red/clear to the front and all red to the rear. The grille also had two Whelen TIR3's and two unknown TIR4's. There is also a TIR4 on each side for intersection.

I know the Oceana FO lighting was all done in house after the vehicles were delivered. They didn't come from Roscommon with the enhanced lighting. Oceana's 6x6 has a large four beam beacon with red, amber, and clear bulbs under a clear lens that is on the telescoping pole. It also has Grote LED flashers to the front and rear in red.

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
Actually the Baldwin 54 Peterbuilt has two lx4 red/clear on the grille and two on the front of the hood

for side warning and a set of tir3's on the back.On the top is a updated mini edge.

Their fire command vehicle has wig wags on the headlights, whelen responder led on the roof and

a set of tir3's on the front.We upgraded some of their equipment to try to get away from the rotator

beacons. Just simple upgrades.

Jim Rogers

Northern Lights/Sirens

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
deputychief301 said:
Actually the Baldwin 54 Peterbuilt has two lx4 red/clear on the grille and two on the front of the hood
for side warning and a set of tir3's on the back.On the top is a updated mini edge.

Their fire command vehicle has wig wags on the headlights, whelen responder led on the roof and

a set of tir3's on the front.We upgraded some of their equipment to try to get away from the rotator

beacons. Just simple upgrades.

Jim Rogers

Northern Lights/Sirens

The upgrades turned out good. I didn't see the rear TIR3's, just the fronts, but I was on a mission and just snapped the pic as I walked by too. Had to leave before the dozer made it back out of the woods...I wanted a pic of both there. Its rare that we get two DNR dozers on a fire scene over this way....Baldwin came over for this fire to haul the Oceana dozer out of the woods after some hydraulic line failures.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Very interesting. MI DNR seems to be a pretty well funded agency.

jprleedy4680 said:
Most of the trucks are in dire need of some mid, intersection, and lower-level warning, IMO.
Definitely. You never know when you're gonna have gridlock when busting intersections in the forest...

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Solvarex said:
Very interesting. MI DNR seems to be a pretty well funded agency.

Definitely. You never know when you're gonna have gridlock when busting intersections in the forest...

Annual budget is around $12 million. My last emergency response, we had to break though five traffic lights down two major state highways on the weekend, plus a freeway off-ramp. More intersection warning is needed.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Andy L. said:

I think it's against all the laws of the universe to paint a John Deere red. :eek:

boboloo

Jun 5, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
Great Pics!

Probably many of these apparatus have been running back and forth on US 2 in the Upper Peninsula with the wild fires going on there.

Sometimes the MI DNR would put a truck or two in local parades; when I was a kid I loved looking at them.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Crockery Twp Fire Dept. gets some equipment from/through the DNR. I remember them having a DNR 6x6 in their second garage, and I believe a tanker (tractor trailer type)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.