Michigan State Police Beacon FTW (Trump motorcade)

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
With the amount of LEDs in that beacon, and the large footprint....It blows everything else away!
I think the first MSP car had high power on, and the final 2 had nighttime low power activated.

Last edited:
Reactions: tsquale

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
People keep mocking these retrofitted Unity/Whelen-LED hybrid beacons. But they are like "nuclear-fusion levels" of light production. Especially in person. They negate the need for every other light on the vehicle (rear-deck, side-view mirrors, push bumpers, side windows) in my opinion.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
People keep mocking these retrofitted Unity/Whelen-LED hybrid beacons. But they are like "nuclear-fusion levels" of light production. Especially in person. They negate the need for every other light on the vehicle (rear-deck, side-view mirrors, push bumpers, side windows) in my opinion.
Having a 360-degree warning light is necessary, but it doesn't provide proper forward-mounted intersection coverage, and if the car gets stuck behind a tractor trailer in the left lane, there's no way to get the guy's attention because the light is blocked.

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Having a 360-degree warning light is necessary, but it doesn't provide proper forward-mounted intersection coverage, and if the car gets stuck behind a tractor trailer in the left lane, there's no way to get the guy's attention because the light is blocked.

A few observations...
-Ive run C3 both with and without "proper forward-mounted intersection coverage" and have never noticed a difference in how folks react.

-As a POV driver, I've noticed cross traffic EV overheads long before I ever see anything mounted up front (the only exception are slick tops obviously)

-An EV driver shouldn't be pulling out until he/she has line of sight visuals on cross traffic, thus an overhead beacon would be visible to cross traffic.

-Having run EV's with single OH beacons, Ive never had a problem getting the attention of a large vehicle, and an A-pillar is far more effective at doing so than anything mounted up front, at least in my experience. In fact, the Whelen combo A-pillars that we have been running seem to get attention more than many overheads, so much so that I run one on my POV now. Back in the day we all rode the A-pillar pretty heavy :)

Last edited:

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest

Who is doing the conversion?
Does there happen to be thread covering the details of these?

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Per the article, the company is Whelen Engineering of Brighton, MI. They developed a prototype and MSP's Precision Driving Unit (the folks that bring you the annual police vehicle evaluations) refined the concept to what we see today.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Is it just me, or do their 'new' LED beacons blow away everything else in this video?

PC @ 0:11
SUV @ 1:32
2x SUV @ 2:35
They've had those LED ones for a while; I dunno if you've seen one up close before, but they're "YUUUUUGE." With that many Whelen LEDs crammed into a beacon, it'll def be bright ;-)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.