Mini-edge rebuild help

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Hi all -

I am rebuilding a 9000 mini edge and am using a 9m lens kit. I had planned on using 400 series halogens x2 front and rear but am having trouble finding anything that will fit in front of the EB6 ps. Will 400 linear strobes fit or is LED my only option? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Bill

eng18ine

Jul 27, 2012
stony point, new york
i am in the process of doing one. i had a dual halogen housing, drilled one inch holes and poped hide-a-way strobes in there. i used the normal bracket for the eb6 power supply. for the housing i put spacers in between where the screws go on the housing and where it went on the bracket so it sits up high enough to clear the wires and the back of the strobes. the strobes are pretty close to the lenses so they do heat up but after about an hour and a half of being on the lenses got a little warm.

but on the other hand the difference in strobes looks kinda funny. the hide a ways dont have the same light output as those big corner strobes. but it does look good.

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
eng18ine said:
i am in the process of doing one. i had a dual halogen housing, drilled one inch holes and poped hide-a-way strobes in there. i used the normal bracket for the eb6 power supply. for the housing i put spacers in between where the screws go on the housing and where it went on the bracket so it sits up high enough to clear the wires and the back of the strobes. the strobes are pretty close to the lenses so they do heat up but after about an hour and a half of being on the lenses got a little warm.

but on the other hand the difference in strobes looks kinda funny. the hide a ways dont have the same light output as those big corner strobes. but it does look good.

Thank you for your reply. I have a dual strobe 73 series head but I'm shooting for the 9m look so I really want to use 400s. As to your project, I don't think you can mix helical and linear strobes with an unregulated power supply. You might try flashing all linears together and your two helical together to normalize light output. Thanks again

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

eng18ine

Jul 27, 2012
stony point, new york
that is how its setup. i have one eb6 for the corners and an sl7 i think for the inner. im not sure why they are different. i guess its because they are smaller? not as much light. i dont know but if you can swing for a bigger strobe or even led. i think led would be your better route

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
eng18ine said:
that is how its setup. i have one eb6 for the corners and an sl7 i think for the inner. im not sure why they are different. i guess its because they are smaller? not as much light. i dont know but if you can swing for a bigger strobe or even led. i think led would be your better route

Thanks much. If linear 400s won't fit it may be my only choice. Have a great night

Bill

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
Use a different power supply. The 9M4S is designed to mount against the vertical part of the I beam, not in the rails. How many strobe do you ultimately want in the bar? I've also used CS240 power supplies with good success.

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
bigcat said:
Use a different power supply. The 9M4S is designed to mount against the vertical part of the I beam, not in the rails. How many strobe do you ultimately want in the bar? I've also used CS240 power supplies with good success.

Thanks, I wondered exactly where the 9m supplies mounted. My current supply will do 6 but I will probably only run four. In that it is unregulated I hope to get more output running four heads on a six head supply.

Thanks again, take care

Bill

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.