Minitor II, IV or V?

BigDogg795

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
Currently I'm issued a II and while it does it's job, I'm considering purchasing a newer model pager. I'm on low band (46.XX) and truthfully, one of the major reasons for going to something newer is simply the hubris factor: I'm getting a little annoyed at the other folks give me the "what the hell is that? That pager is from the year of the flood!"

So, I bought and sold a V a while ago and it worked great, no problems whatsoever (STUPID STUPID me! :duh: ), but they aren't as cheap as they once were it seems. I could probably get a IV for what I paid for the V, but I've also heard there are (or were) some problems wit the IV.

So, my ELB friends; I ask for your input. Should I suck it up and just stick with my II even though it's old and the battery doesn't hold a charge anymore? Buy a V at the going rate? Or do I go cheap and get a IV?

wema628

May 30, 2010
USA / Tennessee
The only thing with the IV is there no longer supported by mother M. They are great pagers just like your II but it theres a promble with it down the road your stuck. Thats my 1cent as i use a IV and work on them at my part time job.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Who cares what other people think? I use a II and a IV for different departments and the II works a lot better. (the Minitor IV is still a good pager) The one nice thing about the IV is the AAA batteries- if your pager dies and you don't have the extras charged, you can throw some regular ones in and get by with them.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Find a new battery for your II and keep on chugging. Since low band is not affected by the FCC narrow band mandate, your II should serve for a long time to come.

The only issue may be a change of tones somewhere down the line. But there are a number of vendors who are stocking the reeds for the II.

If your II gives it up some where down the line, skip the IV and get V.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
I prefer a 2 over any of the newer stuff simply because it is a crystal receiver as opposed to a synthesized (programmable) like the 3, 4 and 5. The crystal receiver is MUCH more stable and gives FAR BETTER reception than the newer stuff. Next time one of your buddies breaks your balls about your 2, ask him where he has problems hearing his pager and then take him to that spot and let him listen to your 2. That should shut them up. :)

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
I use a IV and it is phenomenal on 46.42 (IMO), I also use a V on 470.925. Both are excellent pagers I do not have an issue with either model. It might be luck of the draw. I just had a V that had a hardware issue... The one that I swapped to (my old V, actually) is working better.

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
We are issued V through out are county and they seem to work great alil bulky but i have no problems with it so far.Over the years ive had min 2,3,4,5 and i like the V we just recently went to e dispatch on are cellys and let me tell you guys i like this idea cause i dont carry my pager at work and it works out great.Its a text message with a number that you call and enter a code to hear your dispatch pretty sweet id say....sorry for getting off topic but yes i would go with the V.... :thumbsup:

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
Stick with your Minitor II until it becomes useless or unrepairable. I have a 2 channel lowband V on 46mhz I can give you a deal on if interested. :)

The Minitor II was and still is a great pager/receiver.Wish I could buy the patent for them honeslty.

localhero800

May 22, 2010
Southeast Missouri
Al i will ever get in a pager is a Minitor II. They can go in a pot of boiling water, or the toilet, pull them out, shake them off, and put the battery back in and it will work! (dont ask me how i know) I have to pull the antenna off my amplified charger because it pickes up the city department, ( 110 miles away) on clear nights.

I have a whole drawer of them. if something breaks, i just replace it and keep on trucking.

Thats my 2 pennies

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.