Mixing Strobe Equipment

07GD SFD

May 21, 2010
VT
Is there anything wrong with mixing different strobe brands with each other? For example, if I had a Star strobe supply, would I be able to use Whelen strobe heads with it?

There are some cases where this can be a problem. At one point federal strobe stuff had the wires in a different order in the amp plugs. You had to swap the position of the black and the red.....

JohnMarcson said:
There are some cases where this can be a problem. At one point federal strobe stuff had the wires in a different order in the amp plugs. You had to swap the position of the black and the red.....

True, always pay attention to pin position.

But if you had a newer say Whelen S690 or S660 and wanted to use new code 3 tubes it would pose no problems.

Also make sure you don't mix the helix style and linear style strobes on a strobe pack, when firing at the same time. This is also a known issue.

Are all hideaways the same style? I'm assuming those are helix style while larger strobe units are linear?

What Pimp is saying is that on some strobe packs you can not mix linear and helix heads together. But that ONLY applys to unregulated suppys. I believe only whelen light bar supplys fall into this category, because I have mixed heads on code 3 and tomar lightbar power supply's with no output issues.

jdh said:
I have in the past had an issue with some code 3 tubes (light bar heads) on a whelen pack.

Some Code3 lightbar strobe heads have part of the mechanism on the head it's self that is normally contained in the power supply on most supplies. Generally a good rule is if the plugs match and the wire colors line up you'll be fine.

jdh said:
What Pimp is saying is that on some strobe packs you can not mix linear and helix heads together. But that ONLY applys to unregulated suppys. I believe only whelen light bar supplys fall into this category, because I have mixed heads on code 3 and tomar lightbar power supply's with no output issues.

Ah, I suppose I should have clarified. I'm speaking solely of hideaway kits.

07GD SFD said:
Ah, I suppose I should have clarified. I'm speaking solely of hideaway kits.

As long as the wire colors match on the plugs, you're fine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381