Mobile antenna for a Portable handheld?

movi3king

Jun 29, 2012
New York
Hey guys i have a HT750 and a HT1000 for the most part i keep the 1000 in my car. I was wondering if i could increase the range by somehow connecting a mobile antenna mounted atop my car and use that instead of the regular portable antenna to increase the range on the radio?

All help is really appreciated.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
This is an excellent way to increase range, particularly if you use a gain antenna. Most of us who do this use a magnet mount, and for VHF, a unity antenna is 18.5 inches long for 154-155 MHz frequencies. A 5/8 wave gain antenna is roughly 47 inches long. The three inch diameter magnet works well with the smaller antenna, but a 5" diameter is better with the bigger antenna. Larsen, TRAM, and other versions are available from radio suppliers and ebay.

Trying to use a hand-held radio in a car "traps" the signal in the metal cage Placing the receiving and transmitting antenna outside the car and as high as possible on the roof is preferred. The dame priciple applies to a scanner antenna.

You will also need an adapter, typically a screw-in adapter that replaces the portable radio antenna, which is then mated to the coaxial cable that goes to the antenna. Expect to pay from $25 to $50 for the antenna and adapter. ($5.95 for the adapter; $19.95 and up for the magnet mount, coax, and antenna. In case you are using both UHF and VHF radios, dual-band antenna are available.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
This adapter for the HT1000 fits the bill. There's lots of them out there from various sources. It's for a BNC connector so you'll need a matching BNC on the antenna coax.

BNC Antenna Adapter for Motorola MTX8000 HT1000 MTS2000 | eBay

The HT750 requires a different adapter, but again there are lots of them out there. It's also for BNC so you could use your antenna set up with either radio.

BNC RF Antenna Test Adapter for Motorola HT750 HT1250 P110 Radios | eBay

If you use the radios a lot in your car, you might consider drilling the hole and mounting the antenna to the roof or other good location. There are a lot of threads here already about "drilling the hole". The general consensus is that permanent antenna mounts don't detract from resale value. You can make up your mind about that after reading the experiences of others. I would drill the hole. I just did on my '12 F250 for a VHF two-way and may still add another for a UHF two-way.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
I have a motorola original adapter for the HT1000's that attaches to the side port of the radio like a speaker mic it has a 12" length of coax with a BNC connector. Its stil in the factory pacakge. $25 if your intrested.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
First, it's either a portable or a handheld. Not a portable handheld.

Second, these adapter solutions all put significant stress on the antenna connector, plus they are slow if you intend to take the radio with you/re-attach the regular antenna.

There are vehicular adapters specifically made for both the HT1000 and the HT750. The right way to do this is to either acquire the proper vehicle adapter, or just buy a mobile radio.

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
I did this when I was a volunteer and had no problems. I had a SP50 - put a BNC adapter on the antenna and connected a magnetic external antenna to my roof. I even used the shoulder mic as a regular mic. Worked very well.

I was worried about the power in my antenna connection as well and consulted several Motorola techs and dealers and was told this was no strain on the radio as implied above. There is so much "watt" power, either 3 or 5 watt, whatever your radio is going through the antenna. There is no boost in power anywhere since you are using your regular battery. There is no difference if you are using a regular portable antenna or an extended antenna.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I've done this for years.

NMO VHF 1/4 wave mounted on the roof, terminating in a BNC end. First used a XTS3000, now a Kenwood TK-5220. Had a radio specific BNC adapter I'd put on the radio and attached the coax to that. Also, when I had the XTS, I used a battery eliminator to plug into the 12 outlet for power. I also kept the speaker mic on and used the speaker jack on the mic to plug in a remote speaker for a little extra listening ooomph.

Now, I wasn't installing/removing the radio each time I got in the truck, I just left it in there. If you're only listening/monitoring, great. TX on the other hand, with only 5 watts, might be an issue.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
unityrv26 said:
I was worried about the power in my antenna connection as well and consulted several Motorola techs and dealers and was told this was no strain on the radio as implied above. There is so much "watt" power, either 3 or 5 watt, whatever your radio is going through the antenna. There is no boost in power anywhere since you are using your regular battery. There is no difference if you are using a regular portable antenna or an extended antenna.

Hmm, what's "watt" power?

The strain I was referring to is physical strain. The SMA on top of an HT1000 isn't intended for hundreds of on-off cycles, nor is it intended for the shearing force that could come with having a rigid adapter attached to the top and having that adapter hit something (say, if you dropped it). The connector is mounted in plastic and it will break.

Cheap, fast, right... pick two.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Regarding the adapters first pictured: do you experience noticeable loss going through 2 more connections? (Assuming you have the adapters installed and the original rubber duckie on top of them.) The items are supposed to be impedance matched, but we know how that goes. I want to think that the additional gain from the antenna now being outside, coupled with the ground plane effect, more than makes up for the added connectors and line loss.

Comment?

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO
JazzDad said:
Regarding the adapters first pictured: do you experience noticeable loss going through 2 more connections? (Assuming you have the adapters installed and the original rubber duckie on top of them.) The items are supposed to be impedance matched, but we know how that goes. I want to think that the additional gain from the antenna now being outside, coupled with the ground plane effect, more than makes up for the added connectors and line loss.
Comment?

I would think 1-2dB loss. Like you said, having a roof mounted antenna along with that small amount of loss will be far better than just using the RD antenna from inside the vehicle.

To the OP, if you do this I recommend having a radio shop tune the antenna to your frequency for best performance.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
JazzDad said:
Comment?

Depends on the adapters/connectors you use. Good quality stuff (in the case of connectors, installed by someone with a clue)? 0.3dB. Cheap-shit Chinese crap? If it even works, 1-2dB, plus mismatch issues. Chinese crap is also known for going intermittent due to improper tolerances on the internal parts. If you're transmitting, this can kill a PA.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
so if you have a 5 watt handheld, and your using 2 connectors if they are "good" your losing .6% of your wattage. that's also that much in receive as well...

your 5 watt handheld is now doing 3 watts. even if your using a "High gain" Antenna.

this can be fixed with either getting a real mobile radio or a HT amp.

:)

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Jarred J. said:
so if you have a 5 watt handheld, and your using 2 connectors if they are "good" your losing .6% of your wattage. that's also that much in receive as well...

your 5 watt handheld is now doing 3 watts. even if your using a "High gain" Antenna.

this can be fixed with either getting a real mobile radio or a HT amp.

:)

:hopeless: OK, stand back... let me drop some science on you. Forget that whole .6% number - that's totally bogus... and how .6% of your "wattage" gets you from 5 watts to 3 watts, I have no idea. Plus the fact that watts don't really matter anyway.

First, let's document some assumptions:

The HT in question produces a nominal 5 watts out and we're operating at 150.000MHz.

The existing portable antenna has a gain of -2.15dBd (that's 2.15dB below the "gain" of a dipole... yes, "negative gain" is possible)

We'll assume the HT antenna is in free space (not on your belt being attenuated by your donut storage area) but that the body of the vehicle attenuates all signals by 10dBm (in the real world it's a lot messier - a repeater you can see out the window will be attenuated less than one that has steel in between, but we're going for rough numbers here)

If you go to an external antenna (which you're going to do right - by drilling a hole, installing a mount, and attaching a real, properly tuned antenna... if you intend to use a mag-mount, there's no hope for you anyway) the coax run will be 15 feet of Belden 8259 RG-58A/U with a 1/4-wave VHF antenna attached, which is properly tuned and resonant. Our coax loss is 1.021dB and we'll lose 1dB in the connectors and mount.

We are primarily concerned with the "talk in" capability of this system. Most repeaters are more powerful on the output side than the input (because most aren't very well engineered).

First, let's start out by putting our radio's output power into dBm. dBm is the power ratio in decibels to 1 milliwatt - 0dBm = 1 watt.

Pdbm = 10*log10(1000*Pw) where Pdbm is our power in dBm and Pw is our power in watts.

Going the other way, Pw = 10^(Pdbm/10)/1000.

Pdbm = 36.98970dBm

Now, it's important to remember that the dB scale is logarithmic. Doubling the output power results in a 3dBm increase in signal.

Now that we're in dBm, dealing with all the losses and gains is simple:

36.98970 - 2.15 - 10 = 24.8397.

Using our power equations, our 5 watt radio is now effectively 0.3 watts as soon as it leaves the car.

If we go with an external antenna (0dBd gain, minus the coax and connector loss)

36.98970 - 0 - 1.021 - 1 = 34.9867dBm or 3.1396W.

Now, let's take a step back and look at all those numbers.

Radio output: +36.98970dBm

HT antenna loss: -2.15dB

External antenna gain: 0dB

Coax loss: -1.021dB

Connector loss: -1dB

Vehicle attenuation: -10dB

Which number jumps out? The vehicle attenuation. Other than the output power, the vehicle attenuation is the big number... so if we just don't make things worse and we get that antenna onto the roof of the vehicle (some height advantage that we haven't accounted for) and eliminate that attenuation, we've tackled the biggest issue with our RF system. Without question, plugging a well-engineered/installed external antenna into your HT will net you significant results.

Now, why am I saying don't do it, when all this math says it will help?

1. Notice the assumption of well-engineered/installed. If you don't crimp a connector on properly, or you short the coax, etc., you can cause yourself all sorts of issues.

2. We're assuming the use of good antennas, coax, and adapters. If you buy a crap adapter that is intermittent or is a 20dB attenuator, you'll have a crap system.

3. The antenna connector on the top of an average portable was not built for hundreds of connections and disconnections. MIL-C-39012 says that an SMA connector (what's on top of the HT1000) meets spec if it does not suffer damage after 500 cycles at 12 cycles/minute maximum. These are not high cycle-count connectors like you would expect from a BNC, Type N, etc.

4. The connector on the top of the radio is mounted into plastic. If you have a flexible antenna attached and you drop the radio, most likely the antenna will flex and absorb the vast majority of the impact. If you have a rigid adapter attached, all of that force will be transmitted straight to the connector mounting. Yes, I've seen more than one Jedi-series radio (Ht1000, etc.) with the top connector broken out of the case.

5. I'm assuming that you want to be able to take the radio with you (drop in your bunker coat, etc.) Installing and removing an adapter every time is slow - time you don't want to spend.

From a technical perspective, yes, an external antenna will net significant benefits. From a usability perspective, it sucks. There are vehicular adapters built for both radio platforms, and a real mobile radio isn't that expensive (a Kenwood TK7180 will run you $200). Avoid a few trips to Dunkin Donuts and put that money toward a real mobile radio. You'll be much happier in the long run.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
calebsheltonmed23 said:
I always just held my radio out the window...much cheaper!

and involves less paragraphs on blah....

:haha:

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
:jawdrop: :explode:

tvsjr said:
:hopeless: OK, stand back... let me drop some science on you. Forget that whole .6% number - that's totally bogus... and how .6% of your "wattage" gets you from 5 watts to 3 watts, I have no idea. Plus the fact that watts don't really matter anyway.

First, let's document some assumptions:

The HT in question produces a nominal 5 watts out and we're operating at 150.000MHz.

The existing portable antenna has a gain of -2.15dBd (that's 2.15dB below the "gain" of a dipole... yes, "negative gain" is possible)

We'll assume the HT antenna is in free space (not on your belt being attenuated by your donut storage area) but that the body of the vehicle attenuates all signals by 10dBm (in the real world it's a lot messier - a repeater you can see out the window will be attenuated less than one that has steel in between, but we're going for rough numbers here)

If you go to an external antenna (which you're going to do right - by drilling a hole, installing a mount, and attaching a real, properly tuned antenna... if you intend to use a mag-mount, there's no hope for you anyway) the coax run will be 15 feet of Belden 8259 RG-58A/U with a 1/4-wave VHF antenna attached, which is properly tuned and resonant. Our coax loss is 1.021dB and we'll lose 1dB in the connectors and mount.

We are primarily concerned with the "talk in" capability of this system. Most repeaters are more powerful on the output side than the input (because most aren't very well engineered).

First, let's start out by putting our radio's output power into dBm. dBm is the power ratio in decibels to 1 milliwatt - 0dBm = 1 watt.

Pdbm = 10*log10(1000*Pw) where Pdbm is our power in dBm and Pw is our power in watts.

Going the other way, Pw = 10^(Pdbm/10)/1000.

Pdbm = 36.98970dBm

Now, it's important to remember that the dB scale is logarithmic. Doubling the output power results in a 3dBm increase in signal.

Now that we're in dBm, dealing with all the losses and gains is simple:

36.98970 - 2.15 - 10 = 24.8397.

Using our power equations, our 5 watt radio is now effectively 0.3 watts as soon as it leaves the car.

If we go with an external antenna (0dBd gain, minus the coax and connector loss)

36.98970 - 0 - 1.021 - 1 = 34.9867dBm or 3.1396W.

Now, let's take a step back and look at all those numbers.

Radio output: +36.98970dBm

HT antenna loss: -2.15dB

External antenna gain: 0dB

Coax loss: -1.021dB

Connector loss: -1dB

Vehicle attenuation: -10dB

Which number jumps out? The vehicle attenuation. Other than the output power, the vehicle attenuation is the big number... so if we just don't make things worse and we get that antenna onto the roof of the vehicle (some height advantage that we haven't accounted for) and eliminate that attenuation, we've tackled the biggest issue with our RF system. Without question, plugging a well-engineered/installed external antenna into your HT will net you significant results.

Now, why am I saying don't do it, when all this math says it will help?

1. Notice the assumption of well-engineered/installed. If you don't crimp a connector on properly, or you short the coax, etc., you can cause yourself all sorts of issues.

2. We're assuming the use of good antennas, coax, and adapters. If you buy a crap adapter that is intermittent or is a 20dB attenuator, you'll have a crap system.

3. The antenna connector on the top of an average portable was not built for hundreds of connections and disconnections. MIL-C-39012 says that an SMA connector (what's on top of the HT1000) meets spec if it does not suffer damage after 500 cycles at 12 cycles/minute maximum. These are not high cycle-count connectors like you would expect from a BNC, Type N, etc.

4. The connector on the top of the radio is mounted into plastic. If you have a flexible antenna attached and you drop the radio, most likely the antenna will flex and absorb the vast majority of the impact. If you have a rigid adapter attached, all of that force will be transmitted straight to the connector mounting. Yes, I've seen more than one Jedi-series radio (Ht1000, etc.) with the top connector broken out of the case.

5. I'm assuming that you want to be able to take the radio with you (drop in your bunker coat, etc.) Installing and removing an adapter every time is slow - time you don't want to spend.

From a technical perspective, yes, an external antenna will net significant benefits. From a usability perspective, it sucks. There are vehicular adapters built for both radio platforms, and a real mobile radio isn't that expensive (a Kenwood TK7180 will run you $200). Avoid a few trips to Dunkin Donuts and put that money toward a real mobile radio. You'll be much happier in the long run.

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
In your situation, since the HT-1000 stays in your car. What I would do is get a battery eliminator(plugs into your cigar plug), and will keep the power out at max. Then get you a decent adaptor, like said before, either a magnet mount, or better, drill a hole, get you a 3-5db gain antenna and you will be set.

To keep the antenna connector in good condition, keep the radio in a holder of some sorts.

I can help you with all of the pieces that you need, except for the battery eliminators. We have most, if not all of those parts in stock.

Jordan,TCFD

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.