Mobile Scanner Antenna Question

Feb 19, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Ok I am putting a pro-163 (analog) scanner in my POV. I currently have a motorola NMO 800 antenna on the top of my equinox which I had planned on using for this scanner. I am toying around the idea of putting an actual 800 trunking mobile in there as well so that will occupy that antenna. I will eventually move to a digital scanner so keep that in mind.

Question is: What type of antenna would best suit my needs. I have a hockey puck "cell band" NMO laying around that I could install (even though I was hoping to use that on my future storm spotter truck for my wifi hotspot card to gain some extra signal).

I would like to keep the additional antenna as low profile as possible as I have a VHF NMO and 800 NMO already up there to go along with the OEM GPS/XM/radio antenna.

May 10, 2012
New England
If you don't need to scan much low band, I would say add another 1/4 wave VHF and call it a day. Reception will be reasonable on most bands. Or see what the market has for shorter or lower-profile multi-band choices just for scanning. From my experience, those "hockey puck" types are a compromise at best, and tune extremely narrow, as well as the Antenex Phantom style.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
which frequency spectrum will need the most scanner selectivity? For a quarter wave antenna, use 2950 divided by the frequency in megahertz gives the length in inches. Most uhf/VHF scanner antenna are approximately 18.5 inches, and these work well for 800 MHz too.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
It all depends on what you intend to load in the scanner. If you have almost all of one specific band, install an antenna for that band. If it's a mix of bands:

VHF quarterwave - great on VHF, good on 800, tolerable on UHF

800 quarterwave - great on 800, good on VHF, tolerable on UHF

800 3dB gain - great on 800, tolerable on VHF/UHF

Other options would be the Maxrad MAXSCAN, the RadiallLarsen NMO150/450/800, or the Panorama ASFQHB-155-S4-821 (you'll also need the SAB-181 NMO adapter).

Personally, I currently use the RadiallLarsen NMO150/450/800 driving a 4-port Stridsberg receiver multicoupler as the master receive antenna in the truck. I've got one of the Panorama units on order for testing (both as a master RX antennas and as a triband transmit antenna to drive APXs and XTLs and potentially reduce antenna count a bit).

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
What would you use the 800mhz radio for?

Fall back answer would be to get a scanner antenna, all the brands have them, but if you only scan a certain bandwidth then get an antenna for that bandwidth. I mostly scan VHF so I have a VHF antenna.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
lafd55 said:
What would you use the 800mhz radio for?

Fall back answer would be to get a scanner antenna, all the brands have them, but if you only scan a certain bandwidth then get an antenna for that bandwidth. I mostly scan VHF so I have a VHF antenna.

Usually... to listen to (or talk on) an 800MHz trunking or conventional system? :confused:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
tvsjr said:
Usually... to listen to (or talk on) an 800MHz trunking or conventional system? :confused:
Well, if he was going to use it as a "scanner" I was gonna laugh out loud because that would be stupid.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
lafd55 said:
Well, if he was going to use it as a "scanner" I was gonna laugh out loud because that would be stupid.

Remember children... it's better to remain silent and appear a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

DJIceman97

Dec 22, 2012
Northeast Kentucky
Personally, I use a standard Laird VHF antenna, but that's because I intend on adding a VHF radio later down the road. At that point, I'll purchase a decent scanner antenna for it. However, I don't seem to have much of a problem picking up UHF and 800MHz systems with it either.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Check out Scanner Master's website. They have a huge selection of antennas and some are at very reasonable prices. I bought one that's very small and only cost about $15 from them, and I get good reception on my Pro197 digital scanner.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
tvsjr said:
It all depends on what you intend to load in the scanner. If you have almost all of one specific band, install an antenna for that band. If it's a mix of bands:

VHF quarterwave - great on VHF, good on 800, tolerable on UHF

800 quarterwave - great on 800, good on VHF, tolerable on UHF

800 3dB gain - great on 800, tolerable on VHF/UHF

Other options would be the Maxrad MAXSCAN, the RadiallLarsen NMO150/450/800, or the Panorama ASFQHB-155-S4-821 (you'll also need the SAB-181 NMO adapter).

Personally, I currently use the RadiallLarsen NMO150/450/800 driving a 4-port Stridsberg receiver multicoupler as the master receive antenna in the truck. I've got one of the Panorama units on order for testing (both as a master RX antennas and as a triband transmit antenna to drive APXs and XTLs and potentially reduce antenna count a bit).

Whoa....you're beginning to sound more like B. John all the time. Dangerous territory! :p

Feb 19, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Sorry haven't checked this thread in a while. Scanner is mainly 800 freq. right now. I have a VHF mobile that does my VHF freq. I have no real need for UHF. If I were to scan vhf or uhf it will be within the county I would be in at that time. So I did the following:

VHF NMO - MCS 2000 VHF Mobile radio

800 NMO - Analog scanner (soon to be replaced with digital)

[Broken External Image]:http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t398/specialopsmedic719/20131113_165645.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t398/specialopsmedic719/20131113_165624.jpg

I opted out of installing an 800 mobile radio as I have 2 portables and would prob end up just monitoring with it. In the equinox real estate is at a premium. This is a mock-up of the mcs

[Broken External Image]:http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t398/specialopsmedic719/20131113_164922.jpg

The scanner will go in the arm rest portion of the console as it is large enough to accommodate a laptop. I will snap pics of all that stuff once I get it installed.

Thanks for all the input. If I ever go with the 800 mobile and need another scanner antenna I will definitely be using all the info ya'll have given.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.