Mobile scanner antenna

vsfd341

Aug 17, 2010
central islip ny
I just picked up a bct15 to replace my bct8 in my suv but I don't seem to be getting a good signal there for I think I might need a better antenna I currently have the one the comes with the radio its a big long wire that you can stick on the glass any suggestions on something better

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
What type of antenna do you want? What type of vehicle do you have? What frequencies do you scan?

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
You mean 300 to 800, lol. Are you against drilling? If your not to concerned with reception or interference a glass mount would be ok. But if you want better reception I would get an NMO type antenna. You can roof mount with drilling a hole, hood lip mount, or get a magnetic base for it. There are a lot of great antennas out there rather than a glass mount. But to all their own. Either find a dual band 800mhz/uhf or get a scanner antenna. You can always check out RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Glass mount antennas are the absolute worst for reception.

Antennas need to properly ground to the vehicles body, cant do that with glass. Also, the body of the vehicle acts as part of the antenna, which is why the middle of the roof is best, the signal reflects off the roof and to the antenna.

Mag mounts are most convenient, best alternative to drilling holes, but nothing beats A roof mount!

To be honest, I only ever use magnet mounts. Usually work well enough for what I do.

Many people do what was mentioned above, the hood lip. Typically a couple screw holes in the fender under the hood for the bracket (which grounds the antenna) but have seen some with brackets that actually mount to the lip of the hood.

dasuriano

Sep 14, 2010
Colorado
I can vouch for the glass mount antennas. They are absolutely horrible. I have one on my car now, since when I installed everything, I had plans of upgrading the car soon. 800 band constantly cuts in and out as well as low bands, such as VHF low and CB. If you are looking for VHF low, you really don't want glass mount. And for VHF/UHF, my portable radio picks up better signals than the glass mount scanner.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
vsfd341 said:
I've seen some NMO Magnet mount are they any good cause I'm really against drilling holes

Yes, the next best thing to drilling. get a good brand though, cheap ones just toss em together, ignoring quality. And make sure it has surface protection on it, so the magnet doesnt scratch the roof or hold water and cause rust.

vsfd341

Aug 17, 2010
central islip ny
7d9_z28 said:
Yes, the next best thing to drilling. get a good brand though, cheap ones just toss em together, ignoring quality. And make sure it has surface protection on it, so the magnet doesnt scratch the roof or hold water and cause rust.

do you folks recommend any particular one

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
Glass mounts have to be installed correctly to work correctly. That means no lead in the glass, no tint in the glass, clean surfaces on both sides and both parts lined up exactly. Glass mount antennas are groundless, hence no ground plane needed. I have installed many glass mount antennas, both for receive only applications and for transmit/receive application without an issue.

That being said, since the OP is looking for coverage at 33 MHz, glass mount is not the way to go, and I would agree with either a fender mount or a mag mount.

Uman18

Jun 2, 2010
Port Hueneme, CA
Ive used glass mount, mag mount, and permanent (currently i have a VHF antenna on my back rack with a NMO mount for my scanner)

Glass mount gave me no problem on 42.00, VHF and UHF but always hit the parking structures and same with the mag mount. I think the main issue with glass mount is, if the radio systems you are trying to pick up has a good repeater system they will come in loud and clear (in my area they great repeater coverage).

Permanent mount in my opinion is best way to go so you don't have to deal with antennas coming off or the whip on the glass mount antenna comming loose.

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
If your area is primarily a lowband area, if you have an old CB antenna laying around, just run up to Radio Shack or your other favorite electronics store and get the adaptor for the PL259 to what ever your scanner is and throw it up on top. Will work great, even will pick up highband no problem. But if you are going to be needing it for UHF or 800, you'll need a good scanner antenna.

Just an idea. Something I've used in the past, worked well. Save you some money if you have one laying around.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
vsfd341 said:
I had look on that pages cant find any that will pick up form 0-800 Mhz

Im sure they have something, the cheapo mag. mount radio shack scanner antenna I bought picked up everything

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
I've picked up the low 100s with it. It has a very good range. But I'm not sure exactly how low it will go because no one around here uses lower than 110, so I can't test it.

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
Austin Spectra Mobile Antenna

Antenna Type: Multiband Offset fed (30 150 MHz) Gnd Independent (450 & 800)

Description: Patented SPECTRA Dual cavity design for 450 and 800 MHz, Offset fed on VHF low & High band. Low angle radiation on all bands. Highly efficient, All Black profile.

Frequency Range: 30-50, 150-174, 430-512, 806-896 MHz

Power Rating in Watts: 100

Gain DBD: 0 on all bands

VSWR Bandwidth MHz: 2 MHz @ 44 Mhz, 10 @ 150, 15 @ 450, 90 @ 800 MHz

Connector Type: Motorola Mount (Cable kit supplied separately.)

Size in inches: 33" high

Weight in lbs (net): 2

https://www.scannermaster.com/Austin_Spectra_Mobile_Antenna_p/04-540720.htm

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
All the pros on here are gonna laugh, but if you don't want to drill any holes, you can't go wrong with the radioshack scanner antennas.

Magnet-mount mobile scanner antenna : Mobile Scanner Antennas | RadioShack.com

I've had several of them over the years and they work awesome on all bands, even low-band. I used to put it on my vehicle when I'd drive across Nebraska since NSP uses 42mhz, and it always performed very well. The magnet isn't the strongest so I always put it up against my roof rack and never ran into issues after that.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
vsfd341 said:
I have a tailgate I not sure if that would work I would like to get a hood lip but not sure any nmo bracket would work with any antenna

Any NMO antenna will work on any type of NMO mount.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Ben E. said:
All the pros on here are gonna laugh, but if you don't want to drill any holes, you can't go wrong with the radioshack scanner antennas.

Magnet-mount mobile scanner antenna : Mobile Scanner Antennas | RadioShack.com

I've had several of them over the years and they work awesome on all bands, even low-band. I used to put it on my vehicle when I'd drive across Nebraska since NSP uses 42mhz, and it always performed very well. The magnet isn't the strongest so I always put it up against my roof rack and never ran into issues after that.

Thats the exact one I have and used with great results, but the magnet sucks. It works really well. Had it at the back of the T tops on my camaro :D

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bfpd108

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.