Model 14 / Unity can-lights Lightbar, Video added-

fireball3

Oct 25, 2010
Lyon, France
I am about to finish this project Mod.14 lightbar, (these are not Twin models), with an assembly of a pair Unity can-lights, and a FedSig CP-100 speaker.

To finish this project, it remains to complete the connection of the lights and the speaker.

Let me know what you think ...

Cyril

aimg15.hostingpics.net_pics_7981411000943.jpg

aimg15.hostingpics.net_pics_5166811000946.jpg

aimg15.hostingpics.net_pics_4604491000944.jpg

aimg15.hostingpics.net_pics_3694971000950.jpg

aimg15.hostingpics.net_pics_4590221000942.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
JennyCop said:
Looks great! I like it. what kind of crossbar is that?

Looks like a Mars-style crossbar. Mounting feet aren't correct, but the bar has that ridging on the front and back of it that Mars crossbars have. The end caps are not original, but they are good clones of the red Mars end caps.

vbcr1711

Apr 27, 2012
Greenwood, Tennessee
Loveeeee it! :thumbsup:

fireball3

Oct 25, 2010
Lyon, France
rick h. said:
Fantastic looking bar.Great job.

Thanks, rick h.

motorolamaniac said:
Nice job Cyril! The Unity cans look awesome with the Sealed beam in front. Do they have the plastic filter in back?

Thanks, Jeff...yes they are, two red filters! at the front, I removed the bulb socket bayonets which I replaced w/ two GE4416 sealed beams PAR36 bulbs.

Cyril

May 27, 2010
Lebanon PA
I would be mounting this on my truck if it was mine. I am planning on similar to this. I hope it looks as great.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That would look even more awesome if you put a flasher on those Unity can lights. :thumbsup:

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Great Videos Cyril! Thats a good looking lightbar :thumbsup: the beacons, cans and speaker look in great shape!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
fireball3 said:

I love those flashers. I'd take this setup over a split fail LED setup any day.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
That's a very spectacular looking setup, Cyril. I like your idea of having the blue can light next to the red beacon, etc. That's how I equipped my ambulances years ago, using a red Model 17 on the left and a blue one on the right with red and blue lollipop lights the way you have the can lights on this bar. Now you need a nice Interceptor siren and you're in business!

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
You might consider reversing the polarity of one of the beacons so they rotate opposite each other, either inboard -> outboard or outboard -> inboard

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
CHIEFOPS said:
You might consider reversing the polarity of one of the beacons so they rotate opposite each other, either inboard -> outboard or outboard -> inboard

I don't know if that'll work for the types of motors used in Model 14s. Has anyone ever tried with the big motors these beacons have?

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
CrownVic97 said:
I don't know if that'll work for the types of motors used in Model 14s. Has anyone ever tried with the big motors these beacons have?

I tried it on a FS 184 one time and it did NOT reverse direction.

fireball3

Oct 25, 2010
Lyon, France
CHIEFOPS said:
I just do it! and this works, by reversing the polarity, the motor turns in the opposite direction.

the performance is right! Thank you

Cyril

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
wfdstation42 said:
I tried it on a FS 184 one time and it did NOT reverse direction.

I have no idea how they were wired, but our '63 Pontiac Consort ambulance came with a pair of Federal 17s on the roof, and they spun in opposite directions. What was neat was to watch the light beams criss-cross each other when we had to run at night. As I said, I have no idea how they did it, as the ambulance came that way, but we got a lot of comments about those beacons.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Yeah, the NYPD Aerotwinsonics (chain/belt-driven), and earlier Twinsonics, for that matter, had that opposite rotating pattern. In this case, I'm sure at some point they'll get out of synch, but the criss-cross pattern will still be evident.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Regarding motor rotation, it depends what type motor is used, permanent magnet motors will reverse direction when changing polarity, most shunt and series wound DC motors used in this type of application will not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Skip Goulet said:
That's a very spectacular looking setup, Cyril. I like your idea of having the blue can light next to the red beacon, etc. That's how I equipped my ambulances years ago, using a red Model 17 on the left and a blue one on the right with red and blue lollipop lights the way you have the can lights on this bar. Now you need a nice Interceptor siren and you're in business!

Got photos? :confused:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wigwam700 said:
Got photos? :confused:

Once-upon-a-time I had a stack of photos on all the ambulances we had back then, from the first, a '60 Chevy wagon, and ending with a '70 hightop Suburban. And I kept them all in a neat album. I had taken them out to show someone at one point and had put them all in the glove compartment of the '70 Suburban. That Suburban, along with all those neat pix, were stolen when I was hospitalized for an extended stay in '89. Neither the truck nor those photos have ever turned up. And would you believe, I still have the title to that truck!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bfpd108

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.