Model 14

SWI712

Jan 14, 2020
Omaha, NE
Does the motor in a federal Signal model 14 have ball bearings? I have a few fed sig lights but have never taken the motor apart. Bought a model 14 and it showed up with what looks like ball bearings in the pan. Doesn't work either.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Federal Type 1 and 3 motors do not have ball bearings in them. Well techincally the Type 3 has 1 in the endcap.
If your Model 14 is an A4 it uses the newer motors, and I do not believe it has them either.

SWI712

Jan 14, 2020
Omaha, NE
Thanks for the info SV. I am going to tear it down and rebuild it anyhow. Just try to figure out where this ball bearing came from.

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
the ball bearing in the shaft endcap that Stampeed referred to above is a single ball bearing that is about an 1/16-1/8 inch in diameter. i have seen a number of lightbars and beacons with the motors that are missing the endcap.

Reactions: stansdds

SWI712

Jan 14, 2020
Omaha, NE
Yep, I tore it down last night and the end cap is off. That's exactly the size of the ball bearing that was in the pan. The end was under the motor. I cleaned it up and fixed the ground and now it's running. I'm guessing the end cap and bearing are not crucial to it's operation. It is a type 1 motor.

Attachments

• IMG_20221226_114926997.jpg
    IMG_20221226_114926997.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 5
May 21, 2010
Minnesota
It is fairly common for them to fall off and disappear. That motor is used in a bunch of Federal products. I have not heard of any issues nor have I had any in ones I have that do not have the cap/ball. The ones I have with it have all gotten noisy from the shaft contact against it while running. I have had to remove and grease the ball to quiet them down on plenty of bars!

SWI712

Jan 14, 2020
Omaha, NE
Many thanks for all the helpful information. I have taken the motor out of my Twinsonics and the end caps were missing also. I figured that's the way they were made.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.