Model 17-C on Ebay

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png Be careful on this one. I don't have proof, but I wonder if the seller is possibly Joe Dorgan?
The eBay seller (yardleydog):
-lives in Tucson (where Dorgan's shop & house are),
-has 6 FS-Model 17 type beacons for sale (what are chances someone in Tucson has 6 beacons besides Dorgan),
-took pictures showing no visible background,
-the workbench the pics were taken on have a few oil spots--John Dorgan was pictured sitting at his oil-stained workbench in his final years,
-one picture is taken outside on a brick walkway--the same type of walkway that is behind John's house,
-the seller says 'these lights were in storage for several years in a shed'. Those who knew John knew he had a shed garage behind his house full of spare lights & boxes.
I'm not saying it's him, but I think there's enough reasonable suspicion to use caution. I've been watching all six lights, but am not bidding due to my belief it could be Dorgan.
Here's some pics to back up my claims, including one picture (reflection) of the seller. Pay attention to the reflections in the beacon skirts, of the person who took the photo, the shop where the photos were taken, & the brick walkway. Note the brick walkway in the google earth view of the late John's known address on Stella Street in Tucson.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    690.3 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: Tony P

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
bmd24 that is great detective work. I never suspected that but you could very well be right on this one. His shipping fees are thru the roof too.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Not sure that it's original. The tag is for an older version of the 17, so doesn't match the light. Write up states reworked. I do believe that steady burn was one of the lights used, but also on an older version 17.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
First off, the beacon ray is not an authentic 17-C. I have several California Beacon rays and can tell what is authentic or not, trust me. The S&M light as seen in the listing is authentic to the versions used.
Second, I totally agree with the suspicions. I have been to John dorgan house and workshop personally. I would definitely proceed with caution when purchasing from this seller

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
Eric Im sure you know what you are talking about. Just curious what specifics you see in it being the incorrect 17C? Thanks
I agree the overall internal wiring definitely looks too new and updated. I figured from the start that the wiring was updated and added.

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
He has 440 sales with 100% positive feedback. That's a plus whoever it is.
If you click on his feedback, he has one recent light sale with a positive rating. All his other feedback is old, so it looks like hes just now started to sell again. Still a good rating overall.

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
I don't believe it's authentic. Along with what has already been noted, it has a flasher, and everyone knows the whole point of the PAR 46 red was to meet the CA requirement for a steady burn red light.

Reactions: Tony P

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
In one of the screen shots I uploaded you can see a reflection of the photographer (seller?) in the chrome skirt. Does anyone who has met Joe know if that person in the reflection is him?

Also, if you look at the photo of John's collection I uploaded, you'll see a very similar light (the beacon Ray with the odd directional flashing light mated to the beacon rats chrome skier) sitting on one of John's bookshelves. The difference is John's light had a black rubber boot where the lights are mated, whereas the light for sale has a white boot. See the pic I uploaded.

May 21, 2010
Western Montana
Thanks to all and my inquiry wasn't related to the integrity of the seller--I just wanted to know from the experts is it's an authentic 17-C and figured Eric would likely know. Not that it can't be rebadged and re-wired to make it so, but will probably hold out for an original.

I, too, visited John on several occasions, and remember the pristine 17-C on his shelf--certainly not the one listed here.

Thanks everyone.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I'm not convinced this 17-C is original.
First, it appears to be a large dome 17, yet the serial number indicates 1960 production, which was before 17's and 173's were shipped with the large dome.
Second, the month, year, and "C" stamps do not appear to match the sizes of the other markings, which would be odd for Federal Signal.
Third, the red trim on the lamp housing, the few 17-C's I've seen had chrome trim and were made by Unity.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.