Moisture In Linear Light Heads

M.Link

Oct 21, 2013
PDX, OR
Is moisture in the Whelen LIN series lights a common problem?

I just received one LINZ6 back for this problem, but I still have 2 LINZ6s to pull and send back for moisture inside the lenses. On top of that, I have 4 LIN3s packaged up to go back, all with moisture inside.

I can't keep pulling these things off and being without them for a week or two! I am afraid that my other lights are going to have the same problem, and some are very difficult to pull off.

Last edited:

Dec 2, 2012
Pender County, N.C.
Whelen had a known issue about a year ago with leaking lightheads, had to warranty a whole bunch of the Linz6's less than 6 months old. I believe it was a sealant issue between the lens and the body.

Unrelated to the sealant issue,
A rep recently told me they had come to a conclusion that moisture was getting into some lights by way of the sync wire if the cut end was left exposed. They recommend capping it with a weather proof heat shrink cap.

M.Link

Oct 21, 2013
PDX, OR
Makes sense, all the LINZs are about a year old, the LIN3s are dates 9/12 though.

I always connect all 4 wires with heat shrink butt connectors, since I use small 4 wire on all the installations, then all 4 wires are at a central location if I want to change patterns (I label the end of each 4 wire as to which light head it goes to).

Reactions: 336

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
They revised the flange gasket at some point, I assume to cure this issue. Used to be totally flat against the lighthead, now they have a top and bottom vent channel in them.

captskyhawk

Nov 8, 2014
Texas
Our entire fleet with outer edge light bars has a huge moisture issue. We have had several burn up as well. Even the replacement linz6 they send end up with moisture in the lens.

Never had issues with my M2s mounted near the same location.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.