MOR E.V.S. Installs Update 07/11/13

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Storm4200 said:
Such a big truck, such little lights to the sides and rear. I would have preferred a mounting location that profiled the width of the rear of the truck.

^^^ This is partly why I dont see the point is posting video anymore.

Well they don't have money to buy more lights due to being raped buy swps on 4 LIN3s, so I donated the two amber T4s on the sides and I have two more in red to add to it that are also being donated. This FD has a very small budget, the Fire Chief sometimes pays out of pocket to refuel the trucks and no he is not rich...

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
The video has nothing to do with me thinking the truck should be profiled in the rear. It's a shame when some depts are scraping to get by, while others are outfitting their command cars with entire product catalogs.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Storm4200 said:
The video has nothing to do with me thinking the truck should be profiled in the rear. It's a shame when some depts are scraping to get by, while others are outfitting their command cars with entire product catalogs.

I was trying to elaborate more when my keyboard took a $h!t... now it is better, who knew bagging the crap out of it on the wall would help lol.

Any who yes it is a shame when many a department is struggling to get by. My normal install rate is $55 per hour with a minimum of 2 hours. I went real cheap on this job. The Chief and I are planning on adding more lights to the rear asap along with more lights as money permits to the sides.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
MEVS06 said:
now it is better, who knew bagging the crap out of it on the wall would help lol.

Breathe, damn you, breathe!!!

BVM.jpg

I think it's good for the amount spent, and it sucks that they got screwed...send them here, they can redo the lighting properly.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Anything with a halogen vector is OK in my book!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
That's funny that the dept name is Bigfoot lol; I initially thought it was just the nickname of the truck until I saw the sign on the station. Why is the lightbar mounted so far back?

I hear ya on the budget, and I wish the customer knew of ELB before going to swps (with their prices, they probably could've gotten at least 4x the amt of lighting here). Personally, I would've like to have see the customers put a pair of halogen beacons to the rear (cheap and provide side and rear warning), but I understand that you do what you're told ;-)

Hopefully the dept can save up for some DOT reflective strips to go around the perimeter of the vehicle to help with visibility at night (not as eye catching as chevrons but def helps).

Thanks for sharing!

PS what light are in the pairs of impalas?...Are they a a MOR EVS private brand light?

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Thanks, we are still workimg on more funding for the tanker for more lighting. The Chief added DOT tape all around it a few days after the lights were done.

The Impalas look totally different now, but they had one Ultralite 4 in front and a SVP CVPI CHMSL Gen 1 rear deck light. Now the Black Impala has both Ultralites and SVP CHMSL deck lights plus a sho me directional mounted up high in the rear windiw. The white Impala has a Liberty on it now.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I hate working with impalas (crammed and install-unfriendly grill), but I think a standard should be grill lights and HLF for all patrol cars (and either some interior or exterior lightbar); they just look so naked, IMHO, with just dash/headliner lights.

It's pretty sad that the chief has to pay outta pocket for gas part of the time. What's the closest big city to this dept?

Hopefully, once some funds are raised, they can take advantage of some of the deals in the for sale section (ie I saw that ford-dealer has one of his kickass brown bag specials, with older model 700's for $25...at those prices you could light up the whole vehicle for the swps price of one tir3 lol)

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
pdk9 said:
I hate working with impalas (crammed and install-unfriendly grill), but I think a standard should be grill lights and HLF for all patrol cars (and either some interior or exterior lightbar); they just look so naked, IMHO, with just dash/headliner lights.

It's pretty sad that the chief has to pay outta pocket for gas part of the time. What's the closest big city to this dept?

Hopefully, once some funds are raised, they can take advantage of some of the deals in the for sale section (ie I saw that ford-dealer has one of his kickass brown bag specials, with older model 700's for $25...at those prices you could light up the whole vehicle for the swps price of one tir3 lol)

They are about 45 miles south west of San Antonio. I hate when Dave has his brown bag specials when I am broke lol. I will be making a trip to his lab some time this week so he can check out my new C3 Defender.

Edit: Well I just talked to the Fire Chief and he is not very happy. The FD has been give $35k from the Emergency Services District and it must be spent by August 31st. Only problem is the president of the FD insists on using STL because he claims to know the owner and they are great lights and cheap. I have tried for months to convince them otherwise and showed them all the threads on here of the craptastic quality. But the president placed a $3300 order of STL products... Oh well I feel bad for them and the headache they are about to be dealing with.

Last edited by a moderator:

TX_Mark

Jun 17, 2013
San Antonio,TX
I hate when Dave has his brown bag specials when I am broke lol.

Edit: Well I just talked to the Fire Chief and he is not very happy. The FD has been give $35k from the Emergency Services District and it must be spent by August 31st. Only problem is the president of the FD insists on using STL because he claims to know the owner and they are great lights and cheap. I have tried for months to convince them otherwise and showed them all the threads on here of the craptastic quality. But the president placed a $3300 order of STL products... Oh well I feel bad for them and the headache they are about to be dealing with.

I picked up two amber 400 5mm's from Dave. Great guy to have a chat with as well..

Will you be installing all the STL lights?

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
TX_Mark said:
I picked up two amber 400 5mm's from Dave. Great guy to have a chat with as well..

Will you be installing all the STL lights?

No I will not put my name on that. The president said he will do the install since he is an electrical engineer, that has not been confirmed and I doubt he is. He told me he could run the vector I put on the tanker with 20 ga wire. I just smiled and used 10 ga just to be safe....

TX_Mark

Jun 17, 2013
San Antonio,TX
Figured that would be your reply, haha. The ESD's dont care what anyone thinks. They do what they want. Just like the ESD I was with, they like to spend money.... mostly on unnecissary shit or to go the cheap route.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
MEVS06 said:
They are about 45 miles south west of San Antonio. I hate when Dave has his brown bag specials when I am broke lol. I will be making a trip to his lab some time this week so he can check out my new C3 Defender.

Sometimes you just need to sit back and let people figure it out on their own :rolleyes:

Nov 13, 2012
Brazoria County Texas
I ran across a Chief that was proud of his CPS and STL lights until I parked my Feniex powered POV next to him. LOL

He did take my business card and agreed that the Feniex products were brighter and much better build quality.

Considering all his stuff was dim and the outside modules were yellowed and had water intrusion. It was hard to keep a straight face. :D

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I just think that having an FD or PD called BIGFOOT is badass lol and i have seen less lights on bigger truck before that truck has just what it needs to get by. If it really is a small town then it does not really need much to get by thrue its small county streets not much traffic im assuming.

Like a small fd i helped out here in the area with lighting it only has 1 traffic light in the whole town and the rest of the streets are wide open lonely county roads with little to no traffic at all shit i i think they might get by around there with just a tear drop rotator on the roof and hazzard lights.

Sometimes just because you can get more lights does not mean you should, i have seen to many things OVERDONE joes truck looks good the way it is.

fd.jpg

fd1.jpg

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
MEVS06 said:

What a bummer! Unfortunately, the only thing I agree with the president on is that STL is cheap. Also, this is a clear example of an issue that too many VFD's/VFC's face: civil officers in the dept (ie fire co. President or VP) not letting the line/operational officers make decisions that affect daily operations. Working in conjunction with line officers on the budget/expenditures is one thing, but IMHO they should have no say in vehicle specifications & safety. Personally, I almost kicked the crap out of the president of the board at my former VFD b/c she established command of a call just before I (the duty officer) arrived. Unfortunately, we still see it in my career dept, but it's not totally as bad since the city managers don't come by the fire stations much (they just hide in their offices and bother us via email or deny all requests via email lol)

What are they gonna use the rear of the $35K for? Based on what you told is so far, that's a boatload of money for them.

Also, I'm not familiar with ESD's...I'm guessing its a Texas thing but hopefully someone will elaborate.

All I know is that, as old/used as that international truck may be, it'll hands down outlast every single STL LED that goes on it; IMO, STL stands for STRAIGHT TRASH LEDs (inc.)

Last edited by a moderator:

TX_Mark

Jun 17, 2013
San Antonio,TX
pdk9 said:
What a bummer! Unfortunately, the only thing I agree with the president on is that STL is cheap. Also, this is a clear example of an issue that too many VFD's/VFC's face: civil officers in the dept (ie fire co. President or VP) not letting the line/operational officers make decisions that affect daily operations. Working in conjunction with line officers on the budget/expenditures is one thing, but IMHO they should have no say in vehicle specifications & safety. Personally, I almost kicked the crap out of the president of the board at my former VFD b/c she established command of a call just before I (the duty officer) arrived. Unfortunately, we still see it in my career dept, but it's not totally as bad since the city managers don't come by the fire stations much (they just hide in their offices and bother us via email or deny all requests via email lol)

What are they gonna use the rear of the $35K for? Based on what you told is so far, that's a boatload of money for them.

Also, I'm not familiar with ESD's...I'm guessing its a Texas thing but hopefully someone will elaborate.

All I know is that, as old/used as that international truck may be, it'll hands down outlast every single STL LED that goes on it; IMO, STL stands for STRAIGHT TRASH LEDs (inc.)

An ESD is an Emergency Service District. They split the county up into different districts and each one gets its own board of useless (most of the time) members who think they know more then the FF's who actually do the job. They make the big (ie: Financial) decisions for the department(s) within their district. Sometimes a district may only be one tiny town, or a whole county that has 4-5+ districts in it.

TX_Mark

Jun 17, 2013
San Antonio,TX
MEVS06 said:
Well they are just north of the oil boom. IH35 is in their response area, they often respond to major crashes on the highway.

Then there not to far from where I work! I take 1604/16 to work. 35 is just a left turn away.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I am pretty sure it is illegal to mandate a specific product when Federal, State, or municipal grants or tax based money is involved. With so much regulation in Texas concerning kick backs and bribes, I'm sure some State Official would love to dig into this guy's life. The whole "I know the owner" thing is a big red flag.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
HILO said:
I am pretty sure it is illegal to mandate a specific product when Federal, State, or municipal grants or tax based money is involved. With so much regulation in Texas concerning kick backs and bribes, I'm sure some State Official would love to dig into this guy's life. The whole "I know the owner" thing is a big red flag.

I cant get into too much, but I have already made a few phone calls. Working an area with high narcotics, currency and weapons traffic has its benefits. ;)

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
One of four, just a simple setup. A total of 14 Feniex T6s all red with NO SPLIT FAIL!!! 4 front, 4 rear, and 3 on each side. SVP LCS770 and 2 Feniex Typhoon 100 watt speakers. Just waiting for the Chief to make a headache rack to mount the old Tx DPS Freedom.

20131103_172616.jpg

TX_Mark

Jun 17, 2013
San Antonio,TX
MEVS06 said:
One of four, just a simple setup. A total of 14 Feniex T6s all red with NO SPLIT FAIL!!! 4 front, 4 rear, and 3 on each side. SVP LCS770 and 2 Feniex Typhoon 100 watt speakers. Just waiting for the Chief to make a headache rack to mount the old Tx DPS Freedom.

Nice! What dept?

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
TX_Mark said:

The contract started with two 5 ton, two 2 1/2 ton trucks. Now it has expanded to their Mack Mini Pumper and one chevy 3500 and one 2014 F350 quick attack/mini pumper... lol I just got the Mack contract today.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Storm4200 said:
T6s? a truck that big needs M6s.

Yeah I would normally say the same thing. But when you can see and hear these trucks coming down the highway from over 2 miles away. I think they spent there money wisely. Especially if they had gone whelen they would only had enough money to have 4 lights on the entire truck instead of the 14 the have not to mention the Freedoms we are putting on them.

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
MEVS06 said:

Can't wait to see a video of that beast when done. Is it going to be turned into a brush truck?

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
strobecrazy said:
Can't wait to see a video of that beast when done. Is it going to be turned into a brush truck?

Yes just waiting to get the skid unit in so we can put it in. 1000 gal tank, Chief didnt want to go bigger so they could still do safe speeds on the highway responding to calls all over the county. There is only 4 FDs in the entire county but the biggest one refuses to respond to mutual aid calls so the 3 small FDs respond everywhere.

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
MEVS06 said:

Is it going in for a paint job? If so, I would mask the leds to have the flanges painted as well. If no paint job, buy a can of khaki paint to color match the flanges. I think it would look much better with color matches flanges...imo

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
cbpdogboy said:
Is it going in for a paint job? If so, I would mask the leds to have the flanges painted as well. If no paint job, buy a can of khaki paint to color match the flanges. I think it would look much better with color matches flanges...imo

Not for a while, they are working with a limited budget.

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
Any vids of the deuce and a half? our oem just got one for flood evacuations and we need to light that boy up.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
gaden461 said:
nice install how does anyone see the lights under the windshield wipers other than that nice job

They blend in while off, they can been seen very well even at a distance. Every LEO that has seen my truck and has a similar truck like mine has asked me to do the same to theirs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.