Motorola Roger Tone

MT22FD

Dec 17, 2011
Southern New Jersey
I've got a dumb question for you guys and gals:

Does anyone know what radio produces the roger tone (for lack of better words) that follows most of the transmissions in this video?

You hear the tone frequently after the 3:15 mark of the video.

I'm assuming it's from an older Motorola radio. Was hoping I could have it programmed on my HT1250.

Thanks,

Cyle

upnorth896

Dec 13, 2011
MI
have a cm300 vhf that does that after releasing the PTT button on the mic. believe it can be programed in/out in the software.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
ful-vue said:
I believe it's MDC1200, and I'm pretty sure a 1250 will do it.

It's definitely not MDC which uses tones. This is clearly a data burst of some kind, possibly the old Modat system.

IIRC, GE had a similar system in the late '70's and early '80's, too. It sent a data burst at the end of each transmission which included the mobile unit number. We had that system when I started dispatching for Rochester PD in 1976.

I also recall the NY State Police had a system that squawked a data burst at the end of each transmission in those days. I don't know if the was the same GE Mastr system that we had or something different.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Steve0625 said:
It's definitely not MDC which uses tones. This is clearly a data burst of some kind, possibly the old Modat system.

IIRC, GE had a similar system in the late '70's and early '80's, too. It sent a data burst at the end of each transmission which included the mobile unit number. We had that system when I started dispatching for Rochester PD in 1976.

I also recall the NY State Police had a system that squawked a data burst at the end of each transmission in those days. I don't know if the was the same GE Mastr system that we had or something different.

MODAT sounds nothing like that, it sounds like GE STAR or similar data burst.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
In Rockland Ramapo Police have the same sound set on post. They have GE radios. It's not from a Motorola radio. You can program the HT1250 to have an ID Post and it will make a chirp after you talk but it sounds different.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
So, have we ruled out that it's not just the radio operator burping after each transmission? :D

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Sounds like the noise our HT1250s make when they are turned on while still sitting in a charger, then the person attempts to transmit... they freak out and tie up the frequency.

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
Yep, GE Star signalling.

SurfCityCar2

May 20, 2010
Jacksonville, NC
Could be MDC600, half the speed of the more common MDC1200 by Motorola. GE Star is one and there are a few others out there in the older radios.

I have an MT1000 VHF with the MDC front installed on it and it does MDC600 and MDC1200.

The HT1250 will do MDC1200 at pre-PTT, post-PTT or both..

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I like the beep after you press the PTT before you transmit. Unfortunately that only happens on trunked systems/radios.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
lafd55 said:
I like the beep after you press the PTT before you transmit. Unfortunately that only happens on trunked systems/radios.

My HT1250 can do that...Just program MDC-1200 to have the ID transmitted Pre-. It'll beep for a second and then let you transmit.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
EMT-BLS said:
My HT1250 can do that...Just program MDC-1200 to have the ID transmitted Pre-. It'll beep for a second and then let you transmit.

+1

Plus you can set it for a "long" or "short" beep.

It has nothing to do with Trunking... just MDC.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Radioreference is the last place I would go for any information on Motorola radios. Batlabs has much more info from people who know what they are doing. Not a bunch of scanner heads who think they know what they are doing.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Radioreference is great, if your IQ is 80. If you want to know about Moto gear, Batlabs is a much better place to start.

Your HT1250 can't do GEStar - just MDC. And if you're just turning on IDs to sound cool (as in, there aren't other radios or a dispatch console to receive your ID information) - well, you're treading into whacker territory...

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
We just put some Midian TS-120-MPP1 boards into HT1250s a few months back for tow company that worked on NYS Thruway,needed the GE-Star signalling for ID on the system.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.