Motorola Spectra Astro Siren System ?

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
I have the little siren keypad and the amp with a big cable with male serial cable connector.

So what VHF radio(s) will work for me to complete this system?

What cables do I need?

Anything else I need(other than a speaker)?

I have someone who can program the radio for me,

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Squad-6 said:
I have the little siren keypad and the amp with a big cable with male serial cable connector.

So what VHF radio(s) will work for me to complete this system?

What cables do I need?

Anything else I need(other than a speaker)?

I have someone who can program the radio for me,

It sounds like you're off to a good start! But a little more information is needed to provide you with the answers you're looking for.

A picture of what you have would be very helpful, and the model number off of the siren amp will also be very helpful as some siren amps don't work well with the newer motorola lines like the apx and xtl line.

Are you looking at any particular radios that you're curious about it working on?

Thanks,

Seth

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Squad-6 said:

Ok. Thanks for the additional information. I believe that your best bet is a Astro spectra. You can find them fairly cheap. I have a 100w W3 which has the handheld control head if you're interested. PM me about that. Just make sure the Astro spectra is remote mount which will give you the port for the siren.

Thanks,

Seth

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
C17LVFD said:
Ok. Thanks for the additional information. I believe that your best bet is a Astro spectra. You can find them fairly cheap. I have a 100w W3 which has the handheld control head if you're interested. PM me about that. Just make sure the Astro spectra is remote mount which will give you the port for the siren.

Thanks,

Seth

I saw some pictures of remote radio boxes and they looked like they had an extra serial port which I figured was for the siren. So I geuss I would be correct to assume the dash mount radio do not have the ability to have a siren hooked to them.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
If you get an x7 or x9 (x can be A, C, W, etc) you can assign the siren functions to the keypad and discard the 'DEK' box you have. Otherwise you have to get 2 additional bracket extensions to stack your DEK box above the radio head.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
CHIEFOPS said:
If you get an x7 or x9 (x can be A, C, W, etc) you can assign the siren functions to the keypad and discard the 'DEK' box you have. Otherwise you have to get 2 additional bracket extensions to stack your DEK box above the radio head.

Good to know, thinking of going that route. So from what I learned I need a remote head radio with the number keypad, but can do without the keypad if I use the "DEK" box. The radio and the head need to say Astro just like my amp I am assuming.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
I have narrowed down exactly what radio I need to meet all my needs.

Model/ID# needs to start like:

T= Trunk Mount

04= Astro series(to do 12.5, needs to say 2.5 on the tag to do splinter channels)

J= 136-162MHz to let me do ham & FD(I think this is a railroad radio)

K= 61-110watt

Radio needs to have 2 DB25 serial ports for head and amp

Looking for one with a keypad head so I do not have to use the DEK

Posting what I have figured out for future reference for anyone who is as foolish as me for messing with this convoluted Monkeyola System

Last edited by a moderator:

agtkgv

May 23, 2010
MA
It's not all that convoluted. You need a remote mounted radio. For narrow band and P25 you would go with an astro spectra or xtl5000. If you use the DEK any W or O series control head will work, you can even use the Handheld Control head if space is an issue and use the DEK to control the siren (the HHCH requires 1 additional cable that goes from the siren to the DEK, as the Hand Held head doesn't have a VIP port. If you go with a W7 or W9 head, you can lose the DEK. If you go XTL5000, and use the O5 head, you will need a different cable from the control head VIP to the DEK, but operationally its the same.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
Probably going to lose the DEK since I can't find that jumper that goes from it to the VIP port on the radio head for less than $25. Seems like the control heads and cables are not to hard to find but finding the radio itself that even comes close to my specs is hard to find unless its the complete setup for mujo $$$

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monsuarre

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.