Mounting a scanner antenna

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Before anyone jumps down my throat yes I did use the search button, just looking for a little more towards what I'm using. I currently have a Uniden trunking scanner in my car, with a multi-band antenna(as I monitor a range of frequencies) on a trunk lip mount. I've been tossing around the idea of having an antenna mount drilled into the trunk(done professionally by a shop as I've never messed around with that). So my biggest question is, would having a mount drilled centered in the trunk make that much of a difference versus the mount I have now which is centered but obviously by the rear windshield. Also if it would make enough of a difference to do it, are there different types of mounts or are they pretty universal? I will be keeping the same antenna I have now, just also looking a little more esthetics. Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Jarred J. said:
you didn't look very hard....

use the words "antenna" and "loss"

http://elightbars.org/forums/f15/installing-antennas-44812/

includes diagram of loss per loacation....

:D

Thank you, I did a search for antenna mounting and that link did not come up; I was also searching on my phone at the time. So based on the diagram in that thread it would be best to mount the antenna on the roof, but would it kill it if I had it mounted on the trunk? I don't deal to much with radios other then the occasional programming of a scanner, so not 100% sure if mounting it permanent on the trunk would kill it? Where the antenna is now works fine, like I said just considering if permanent mount would give me any better signal, and esthetics.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
the center of the trunk would be a better "groundplane" therefore giving somewhat better reception.

esthetics is personal opinion.

if it works now and it aint broke... don't fix it? :confused:

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Jarred J. said:
the center of the trunk would be a better "groundplane" therefore giving somewhat better reception.

esthetics is personal opinion.

Just looking at the best use I can get from it so if using a different mount would boost it a little bit. Again also just looking a little more esthetics, especially because the two nuts that hold the trunk mount in place are chipping away the paint. Minor stuff, just looking to have it look as good as possible.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
FireEMSPolice said:
I have a Uniden hooked up to a trunk lip mount. I wont drill for an antenna.

I'm strongly considering it, going a bit more esthetics now too. But it would be done by a professional shop that I trust very much. I'll run the wire up to the scanner, but have them drill/mount the antenna mount.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
You run the coax from the mount to the radio, not vice versa. Since you're doing RX-only work, assuming the existing mount/coax is in reasonably good shape, the signal strength difference you will see will be hardly noticeable.

If you're going to drill a hole, put it in the center of the roof and be done with it. You will see some improvement and less directionality there.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Jarred J. said:

tvsjr said:
the signal strength difference you will see will be hardly noticeable.
If you're going to drill a hole, put it in the center of the roof and be done with it.

If your butt might depend on hitting a repeater with your mobile radio someday, I'd say drill the hole and get a better ground plane. BUT personally, I think drilling a hole just for a scanner antenna when you already have a perfectly good one makes no sense.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
I have been using VHF radios and multiband scanners since 1972, and I agree with NPS Ranger. For a scanner receiver, the type of antenna and height above terrain (roof versus trunk placement) will matter more than the mount. If you already have good reception, don't worry about it. For radio transmission, though, I would prefer a good roof or center-trunk NMO mount. I personally use a 5/8 wave VHF antenna centered on the trunk for my mobile, and a magnet mount 1/4 (18 inch whip) centered on the roof when I need an antenna for a scanner.

Also, consider the trunk material. Sometimes it is plastic coated or thin aluminum and won't get as good a ground contact as the lip-mount. You can also run a ground strap from the bracket to the metal frame to obtain a greater ground plane. Those factors vary with the vehicle make and model.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.