Mounting Lightheads to F-150 Tailgate

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
How are you guys running the wires from lights mounted on a tailgate? I will be mounting a couple of M7's on a 2013 F-150 tailgate and need to keep the ability to remove the tailgate yet have the wires routed in a manner to prevent damage.

Looking for tips, tricks, what works, what's failed, what's blown up, etc.

JCLG316

Sep 3, 2010
Reading, Pa
The best idea I got for u is use a wire that curls into an ecordian. like the wires for the scanners at the grocery stores and on the area inbetween the tail gate use a waterproof quick disconnect. I used the ecordian wires for Whelen 700s on the inside of the doors of an ambulance i did an install last summer. Only had one problem with it and it was easily fixed I didn't use a small enough connecter and now it works fine with the door opening and closing all the time.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
WTF is an "ecordian"? Is that anything like an accordion? Which still doesn't really make sense, but whatever.

Take a look at an F150 with a backup camera, which is mounted underneath the Ford oval on the tailgate. The wiring exits the bottom of the tailgate... to remove the gate, you have to crawl underneath to disconnect the connector, push it through, then remove. I would probably do something similar, with Deutsch connectors.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
My Dodge dually had the DOT clearance lights on the tailgate. They encased the hot and ground wires in a piece of loom and ran it out a hole in the bottom of the tailgate and into a matching hole on the edge of the bed just below the floor level. Just up and behind the bumper, they used a weatherproof connector to hook up to the main harness. The instructions in the manual said to unplug and remove the cable from the hole in the bed before removing the tailgate. I expect that Ford and Chevy do the same. Tundra's, too.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
jcpse said:
Damn. 39-post wonder is harsh

I bet I was a part of eLB long before you were... just because I haven't posted much on the new site doesn't mean I haven't been here a long time. Do you even remember any of the other eLBs?

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
jcpse said:
Damn. 39-post wonder is harsh

Meh, he may be harsh, but I bet he has more experience than most of the guys on this board with over 600, 1000, 2000 posts on this board. He started out on the original boards before they became a board. Spelling nazi, maybe, but how many times have you read a post on here and wanted to scream because of the poor spelling? He at least has the balls to mention it.

Now, back to the question at hand, if the OP is adding lights to the tailgate, best bet is to cut a hole in the bottom center of the tailgate and a matching hole in the back of the bed, under the floor. Use either deutsch connectors or weatherpac connectors under the bed for the quick connect and then from there, run the wiring to the cab, following the factory loom path.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
SlickTop Solutions said:
Meh, he may be harsh, but I bet he has more experience than most of the guys on this board with over 600, 1000, 2000 posts on this board. He started out on the original boards before they became a board. Spelling nazi, maybe, but how many times have you read a post on here and wanted to scream because of the poor spelling? He at least has the balls to mention it.

Now, back to the question at hand, if the OP is adding lights to the tailgate, best bet is to cut a hole in the bottom center of the tailgate and a matching hole in the back of the bed, under the floor. Use either deutsch connectors or weatherpac connectors under the bed for the quick connect and then from there, run the wiring to the cab, following the factory loom path.

There was no need for him to be arrogant about it as he was. That's all I was saying. Over it.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
jcpse said:
There was no need for him to be arrogant about it as he was. That's all I was saying. Over it.

Shoot if you think that was arrogant, you should see some of my posts when I correct people..

And btw, that wasn't arrogant and/or harsh in my opinion, it was correcting and very to the point. More so when most browsers have built in spell checkers.. Oh look a squiggly line... I wonder what will happen if I click on it... :rolleyes:

See something you don't like someone else has posted? Don't become a keyboard vigilante, click the REPORT POST button and let the mod/admin staff take care of the concern- thats what we are here for.

And.. for the record.. ecordian with my spell check becomes Concordia. LMAO, not even the proper spelling as an option. However, google search results for ecordian show up as: Did you mean: accordion

Enjoy.

Oh and OP- split loom or try to find where factory wiring may run. I am sure there may be a UN-utilized hole/pass through already. ;)

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
jcpse said:

If you think that was arrogant you ain't seen nothing yet, cupcake. :p

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
This thread reminds me of a DOT pickup I've seen in the southwest years ago. It was an F-150 (1997-2004 body style) with a pair of large circular strobes mounted to its tailgate. It used bracketry that appeared to have secured the center-mounted strobes by hooking to the top and bottom of the tailgate. I don't recall how the wiring was routed, but it appeared to me that this mounting kit eliminated the need to drill holes or otherwise damage the tailgate.

Tlauden

Apr 3, 2011
Halifax, PA
Like mentioned i would drill a hole in the bottom and probably use a 4-flat trailer plug, this will give you the ability to a a quick disconnect on you positive and ground plus your sync and leave room for something else. Maybe if your light has the night time low power...

Good luck!!

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Tlauden said:
...probably use a 4-flat trailer plug, ...

A four flat trailer connector in Michigan equals immediate corrosion problems on the contacts due to road salt and winter conditions.

Need to go with the Deutsch Weatherpac connectors when adding something like this to the back underside of the truck.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.