Mounting / side lighting ideas wanted please.

Gonzowerke

Sep 5, 2010
I'm not a whacker, just a construction QC inspector who doesn't want to get killed on the highways I inspect. The engineering firm I work for just swapped out my company owned Toyota Tacoma for a leased Dodge Ram 1500. As my STL Amber dual halogen rotator just died on me,I decided to update to LED's. I'm going with a Whacker fury dashlight in front, and a inciter EX in the rear. These both are suction mounts on the glass, so no problems there. My problem is twofold;

What would be a good solution to get some light flashing to the sides, and how can I mount it without tearing up/drilling into/ otherwise mangling the truck we do not own. I know the quick and dirty answer is lightbar on the roof, but I would like an all interior solution. I was thinking of lightheads such as the traffic cleaner 4 by Whacker, but again, how to mount them in the side windows without damaging the truck? It is a 2 door regular cab version, so there are no rear side windows on it.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Buy a whelen slimlighter and just stick it on the window when you guys are doing an inspection and pull them of when you're done.

Gonzowerke

Sep 5, 2010
Ahhh. Thanks for that. I did a search earlier for brackets, but could not find any that were not outrageously priced.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Home depot cabinet/shelf 1.5" L brackets- one can of black spray paint, some screws/bolts (for bracket to lighthead) and double sided tape for the bracket to the vehicle body/trim.

:)

If you were permitted to install limited items, I'd say go with a pair of Sound Off Signal Intersectors mounted below the side mirrors. All you'd really need for front/side coverage IMO.. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0tBZZHQT08 (things mounted only on the side mirrors!)

Gonzowerke

Sep 5, 2010
unlisted said:
Home depot cabinet/shelf 1.5" L brackets- one can of black spray paint, some screws/bolts (for bracket to lighthead) and double sided tape for the bracket to the vehicle body/trim.

:)

If you were permitted to install limited items, I'd say go with a pair of Sound Off Signal Intersectors mounted below the side mirrors. All you'd really need for front/side coverage IMO.. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0tBZZHQT08 (things mounted only on the side mirrors!)

Those are awesome! And being under the mirror, I'm sure a couple of mounting holes won't be noticed.

Now if only the price would come down!

I wonder if the sync function is compatible with the Whacker lights I have ordered? I don't see why not, but you never know.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Why not simply put a mini bar back on top?

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Yea actually i think that would be best! Just get a mini bar, you can get a whelen gaurdian from GALLS.COM for about $100!

May 22, 2010
Central WV
Pimp said:
Why not simply put a mini bar back on top?

I think the OP said that he wanted an interior solution. I know it would be easy to just get a mini bar or a beacon and throw up when he needs it, but like many of us we don't always like the simple solutions :p

Gonzowerke

Sep 5, 2010
aberfitchguy2472 said:
I think the OP said that he wanted an interior solution. I know it would be easy to just get a mini bar or a beacon and throw up when he needs it, but like many of us we don't always like the simple solutions :p

DING!DING!DING! We have a winner! I almost never go the simple way, and I also don't want to look like all the other trucks.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I would get a LED beacon magnetic mount and put it on the roof when stopped. If you really dont want to get killed and be seen thats the best option. I also dont understand why you are buying China LED's when you just lost money on the STL ligths burning out. I just sold Tomar Rect 14's to to 2 diffrent people who had the lights your looking to buy but they burned out. By the way Whacker will give you new lights if they burn out unlike STL.

Gonzowerke

Sep 5, 2010
I have every confidence that the Whacker brand lights I have bought will last me a while. As for "China LED's", these days they are all Chinese. Oh sure, the lighthead and such may be made here, but the component itself was made far away from these shores.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Not totally sure what brand/type of lights your currently running, but you did mention STL- and that company kind of has a poor track history (to put it mildly) with quality control, and warranty issues.

Just fyi.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
If you are inspecting highways, and need lighting to the side, aren't you doing it wrong?

It could wind up Rubeish Goldbergerish, but there has to be some relatively easy way to fabricate a bracket that would fit in PU stake pockets on the bed walls, for temporary use at least. I'd think you could mount just about anything that way, or maybe with a cap clamp or two. One oscillating PowerArc mounted outwards in each stake pocket should pretty much keep them off you.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.