MSP Double Rarity: Unity Spitfire and Faulty Equipment

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Here's a Michigan State Police Suburban with Unity Spitfire beacon. These used to be quite common, but I hardly ever see Spitfires any more, let alone actual rotating beacons. On top of that, this Suburban has a damaged taillight, something I've never seen before in all my miles of driving. Oddly enough, a few days later, on the same stretch of highway, I saw another MSP Suburban with front end damage. Couldn't help but wonder if they'd been to the same scene. lol

P1020768s.jpg

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
stfd1911 said:
where I live they OOS the cars if they get damaged in a accident....must be short on pool cars...lol
This might be the pool car. It's a canine unit; I've been trying to figure out what the "TP" on the license plate is because usually it's the district number. :eek:

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
...or be en route to the station after the accident

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
Troop K9 vehicles aren't something out there in large quantity. I would assume this unit was in transit to the body shop. I highly doubt they were using this for patrol use.

As for the spitfire domes, the Unity corp does not make them anymore. MSP was the only buyer and there just was no market for them anymore since MSP announced some years back that they were creating an LED version. There was no longer a need for the specialized dome.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
zacmtz7 said:
What is/does the spitfire dome do that makes it diff?

The dome has small bands of clear, so they act like a kicker with a majority red foot print.

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
zacmtz7 said:
What is/does the spitfire dome do that makes it diff?

The thin "slices" of white light actually turn the light a bright pink. This is noticed more at night, its a bright sweeping slightly pink-ish light. It stands out amongst all of the other emergency lights at a scene for sure. Here is a pic that shows it a little bit.

Well, they used to.

rv26a.jpg

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
unityrv26 said:
Troop K9 vehicles aren't something out there in large quantity. I would assume this unit was in transit to the body shop. I highly doubt they were using this for patrol use.

As for the spitfire domes, the Unity corp does not make them anymore. MSP was the only buyer and there just was no market for them anymore since MSP announced some years back that they were creating an LED version. There was no longer a need for the specialized dome.

Actually, Unity was no longer able to obtain small quantities of the specialized paint that was used to create the Spitfire domes. So, instead of buying a large quantity of the expensive paint, they discontinued the domes. To my knowledge, MSP was still purchasing the beacon with a standard dome when the LED version came out. This information was provided from both Unity and the MSP.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
badge22 said:
Actually, Unity was no longer able to obtain small quantities of the specialized paint that was used to create the Spitfire domes. So, instead of buying a large quantity of the expensive paint, they discontinued the domes. To my knowledge, MSP was still purchasing the beacon with a standard dome when the LED version came out. This information was provided from both Unity and the MSP.
That makes sense. It was Unity that stopped offering the Spitfire. IIRC, this happened about 5 years ago, a few years before the LED beacon showed up. Personally, I don't like the single beacon (and dislike it even more in its LED morphing), but the Spitfire was uniquely MSP. You could not miss it at night.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.