Must be Bluprint certified?

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
Was looking to purchase a blueprint system from a some what in state dealer and they told me that in order for them to sell it to me I had to be blueprint certified or they would have to install it first. I have never heard of this before and kinda caught me off guard. I know old posts used to say cantrol was only to certain people but I have the whelen core and want to go to the Blueprint system. I see other dealers don't have that as a requirement to but but just though I would at least try to keep some of my money local.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Was looking to purchase a blueprint system from a some what in state dealer and they told me that in order for them to sell it to me I had to be blueprint certified or they would have to install it first. I have never heard of this before and kinda caught me off guard. I know old posts used to say cantrol was only to certain people but I have the whelen core and want to go to the Blueprint system. I see other dealers don't have that as a requirement to but but just though I would at least try to keep some of my money local.
I am going a bit off topic here as well as answering your question with a definite "maybe". I have BluePrint on one command truck and Core on two others at work. I programmed both, now whether that was technically allowed I don't know. I was not aware of a requirement, but I was aware of the training available for dealers of both systems. If I personally sold either (I do not) I would demand that I do the initial setup because it is very easy to screw either of them up in potentially dangerous ways. I don't want the blame for someone's install that shuts off all lights when the vehicle is in park or what ever they messed up.

I will also say that I wouldn't replace one for the other. They are similar with there being some benefits to each, but both do exactly what I want under the conditions I want. The Core system is a lot easier for me to setup "if this then that" commands like "if in park AND in position 3 then switch modules 10, 12, 15, 16 to solid red AND set siren to "off" AND activate "portable radio local repeater". On the other hand BluePrint was cheaper and really has the same features just not in quite as obvious a way if you aren't used to it IMHO. I also like the way Core imports the existing settings and populates the setup vs the way BluePrint does it, but it is really a minor complaint based on which I use more. I also prefer the ability to point and click on over a hundred siren tones in Core and assign them to different events easily. On the flip side I can still change siren behavior on my Nergy siren on BluePrint without ever hooking it up to my laptop if I remember the programming combo of buttons. The BluePrint was also about 20% cheaper, so there is that.

Digital rights and equipment ownership is becoming a big thing, look at John Deere. I wouldn't be surprised if subscriptions are required to update systems across the board eventually. I know both BluePrint and Core software are free downloads now, but I can see them becoming dealer licensed in the future. The shop my dept. uses had to buy Freightliner software to work on our trucks and that was not cheap. Whether this is an official Sound Off policy, a suggestion, a dealer preference or a dealer misinterpretation I'm not sure. Since my ramblings didn't actually answer the question hopefully a Sound Off dealer can comment.

Reactions: ffjwhite and Dave F
Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
BluePrint software is being phased out for the new SOS Central. I’ve been using it for awhile and I like it. I’m honestly not sure what the non-dealer policy is right now, but with Core being public I don’t think Central will be dealer-only.

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
Yeah I do like my Core system and Love the features of it. I was just hoping to be able to sync all the modules and flasher together. I can do that now with my Lower level lighting however my interior stuff is SO. So to be able to get them Sync'd would be great but I am managing with it for now lol. That was just the first time I heard of it for an EVL Company. As for the other stuff you said @JohnMarcson I can believe it as most of that stuff is to mess with DEF systems and most states dont want you to mess with it.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Yeah I do like my Core system and Love the features of it. I was just hoping to be able to sync all the modules and flasher together. I can do that now with my Lower level lighting however my interior stuff is SO. So to be able to get them Sync'd would be great but I am managing with it for now lol. That was just the first time I heard of it for an EVL Company. As for the other stuff you said @JohnMarcson I can believe it as most of that stuff is to mess with DEF systems and most states dont want you to mess with it.
John Deere wants you to think their digital control is related to emissions but it isn't. Farmers are buying bootleg computer programs just to let them change a fuel filter on a tractor. Toyota and Tesla are making car features you subscribe to. Actually owning the rights to your own equipment is a huge right to repair issue that is getting blocked by lobbyists for apple and others. It is fully possible to own equipment but not own the rights to use it. That is a huge problem for me and a lot of other consumers. As machines and equipment get more and more digital you are going to see more and more "lock outs". Look at Keurig coffee pods. They put a RF tag in the cup to prevent consumers using knock off cups. Toyota wants you pay by the month for your heated seats, Tesla won't unlock 100% of your batteries if you don't buy the car from them. The list goes on. I hope we see more of what Whelen is doing, which is making the software free on their site and letting users actually use their equipment. Of course there is a period when stuff is obsolete and not supported. Then people will have to find ways around the software not supporting the hardware, but at least the new stuff is open source to the buyer.

Reactions: ffjwhite

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
I know both BluePrint and Core software are free downloads now, but I can see them becoming dealer licensed in the future.
Remember the first generation CanTrol required attendance at a Whelen class to be authorized to obtain the software. It was still limited access for a few months after they put Command on the website.

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
Actually owning the rights to your own equipment is a huge right to repair issue that is getting blocked by lobbyists for apple and others. It is fully possible to own equipment but not own the rights to use it. That is a huge problem for me and a lot of other consumers. As machines and equipment get more and more digital you are going to see more and more "lock outs". Look at Keurig coffee pods. They put a RF tag in the cup to prevent consumers using knock off cups. Toyota wants you pay by the month for your heated seats, Tesla won't unlock 100% of your batteries if you don't buy the car from them. The list goes on. I hope we see more of what Whelen is doing, which is making the software free on their site and letting users actually use their equipment. Of course there is a period when stuff is obsolete and not supported. Then people will have to find ways around the software not supporting the hardware, but at least the new stuff is open source to the buyer.

Preach it, brother. R2R has blown up way past warranty coverage as the only concern.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.