MX7000 strobe troubles

LoneDrone

Jan 11, 2016
New York
I'm relatively new here so hopefully this is posted in the right place. I have an MX7000 that I aqcuired a few months back, and finally have decided to see if it works. It consists of three rotators, the very two outside being regular speed and the center a fast rotater. There are also four strobes on the top level, two forward and two backwards. When testing everything I ran into problems with the strobes. The rear strobes work perfectly, but the fronts don't. Only after running the rear strobes for an extended period of time, the fronts will work for one flash, then continue to not work. So what I'm asking is, is there anything I'm doing wrong? Is there some place I should be looking to see if something is broken, or if I should replace the strobe power supply itself. Thanks again. [Broken External Image]:https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=9d8554ea4235b840b28ed18b57316595&oe=570393C4 [Broken External Image]:https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=97c3be89ed43cdfd46ab45e40572ec40&oe=57054660

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Start out by disconnecting the working heads and see if the fronts start working. Then reconnect rears and disconnect fronts to see if they work when the fronts are unplugged. Reset everything back and try swapping the front connectors to the rear heads, and rear connectors to the front heads, one of 2 things should happen:

1. If there is no change then your supply should be okay and the likely culprit is a bad head(s), or a bad ground/short to that head(s).
2. If the problem is now on the rear heads that were previously working then my guess is a bad supply, or one side of the supply.

Good luck and Welcome to ELB!

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Forgot to add, what power source are you using to run them? Car battery, jump pack, 120v/12v power converter supply??

LoneDrone

Jan 11, 2016
New York
Forgot to add, what power source are you using to run them? Car battery, jump pack, 120v/12v power converter supply??

Previously we only switched one connector because it was the most accessible. One rear remained hooked up, and we swapped the other to the front, the rear came on but the front didn't. Switch it back and both rears worked. We are also using a truck battery that is assumed to be fully charged.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I've only worked on one strobe MX and started out using a battery charger and it would malfunction, plain old car battery worked fine. So it's not the power source in this case. Best guess is you have a bad head or ground short......

LoneDrone

Jan 11, 2016
New York
I've only worked on one strobe MX and started out using a battery charger and it would malfunction, plain old car battery worked fine. So it's not the power source in this case. Best guess is you have a bad head or ground short......

It's at least a place to start and is cheaper than a new power supply. Worse comes to worse, the front strobes get replaced with leds

Reactions: Sparky_911

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
Previously we only switched one connector because it was the most accessible. One rear remained hooked up, and we swapped the other to the front, the rear came on but the front didn't. Switch it back and both rears worked. We are also using a truck battery that is assumed to be fully charged.
the strobe powersupply has three modes:
1. rear only - red wire on powersupply
2. front+rear (alternatng flash pattern) - 3 pin connector violett+ red wire on powersupply
3. front+rear (pursiut flash pattern) - 3 pin connector brown+ red wire on powersupply
(colors and connector inside of the bar)

outside I think it would be red/black, green and green/black

LoneDrone

Jan 11, 2016
New York
the strobe powersupply has three modes:
1. rear only - red wire on powersupply
2. front+rear (alternatng flash pattern) - 3 pin connector violett+ red wire on powersupply
3. front+rear (pursiut flash pattern) - 3 pin connector brown+ red wire on powersupply
(colors and connector inside of the bar)

outside I think it would be red/black, green and green/black
Nothing would happen when we touched the green wires, even when combined with the red wires. We got one flash from each model separately after trying for some time, then nothing bappened.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.