My Dominion Automotive Montreal PD crossbar, updated Dec 13th, 2013

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Hello fellow friends,

This is a project I have been working on for a long time. This is the crossbar that was used on many of the Montreal cruisers back in the 80's up to the early 90's. I bought the beacons New In Box 4 years ago in amber. The red and blue used domes are NOS from a local sale I could find.. The CP-25 speaker was from Doug here on the board (many thanks, Doug, and Richard P, for the specs informations of the crossbar :) ). The crossbar is from my last road trip near Ontario. It is a more correct 50" long crossbar, rather than the 64" one I had before.

The takedowns are not DA, yet still looking for some. They are JF Searcher driving lights. As far as I can tell, they match the exact specs of the DA branded ones. I am still missing the alley lights, so the Quest continues for more DA lights.

Wailer informed me that the most likely siren to go with this bar must've been the earlier PA15A, or PA20A series A-B-C-D. If you have one for sale, let me know.

This bar is very similar to other ones used across Canada, as did the RCMP and the O.P.P, among others.

This is a Montreal cruiser:

ai767.photobucket.com_albums_xx311_toon80_Dominion_20Automotive_SPCUM.jpg

and that's my project pictured below.

Let me know what you think :)

-Toon

Da crossbar #3.jpg

DA crossbar #2.jpg

DA crossbar #8.jpg

Da crossbar #6.jpg

DA crossbar #7 top.jpg

DA speaker.jpg

DA takedown.jpg

DA feet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
dmathieu said:
You could probably have someone make a snow/bug cover for the speaker.

Dan

Oh? Yeah, sounds like a good plan! Would you know what kind of fabric they would use for that? It would be what: zipped? Held by an elastic band?

Although some Montreal PD cars had it, and some didn't.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
toon80 said:
Oh? Yeah, sounds like a good plan! Would you know what kind of fabric they would use for that? It would be what: zipped? Held by an elastic band?
Although some Montreal PD cars had it, and some didn't.

Just guessing, but I would think out of a plastic or nylon weave, tight enought to keep stuff out, but porous enough to let the sound out unencumbered.

Probably held on by some type of draw string rather than elastic. I don't think elastic would hold up in the elements.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Nice! 5 stars :cool:

towmedic

May 31, 2010
Montague, Prince Edward
I have a couple of those crossbars...1 is an original RCMP setup from here with a pair of R/B Deitz 711's (not sure about the TD/alley lights), and the other one is bare right now but came with Bosch lights. I'll try and get a couple of pics of the mounting system for you in the next couple days when I get a chance. BTW Looks Great!

Brent

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Thanks everyone for the compliments so far:)

When I get it up and running, I'll make a video an update the thread.

Towmedic, if you find a used set of legs, let me know!

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
That is an amazing recreation, great job. The mounts look like they could be twinsonic gutter mounts. If not they look like they would work well enough perhaps.

Can't wait to see additional progress.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Found this video tonight whilst on a YouTube tanget. Look what the cruisers have for main lightbar of choice :thumbsup: :

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Nice! :thumbsup:

I especially like the rear amber flashers, as the police around here never uses rear amber flashers. (I know, I know, they are effective ;) )

Thanks for linking this video, CrownVic :)

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Yeah, you bet, Toon80 :cool: !

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
CrownVic97 said:
Found this video tonight whilst on a YouTube tanget. Look what the cruisers have for main lightbar of choice :thumbsup: :

I think those are Vancouver PD cars. The Vancouver PD had the two DA flat tops and blinkers on their cars in the mid to late 1980s.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
CrownVic97 said:

I couldn't help but gasp at how those guys treat their guns... Pretty cool otherwise.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
It occurs to me now that in the Halloween episode of Trailer Park Boys, where Lahey gets caught being DUI in his squad car, that the lightbars were Dominions. I wondered who made them.

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
kadetklapp said:
It occurs to me now that in the Halloween episode of Trailer Park Boys, where Lahey gets caught being DUI in his squad car, that the lightbars were Dominions. I wondered who made them.

"Halloween 77" I remember that. it had 4 bulb beacons.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Richard P said:
"Halloween 77" I remember that. it had 4 bulb beacons.

Yes! I was very interested to see those lights because they didn't look familiar but they were big, heavy-duty looking rotators. I wonder if I can get a screenshot for ID purposes....hmmm...

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
kadetklapp said:
Yes! I was very interested to see those lights because they didn't look familiar but they were big, heavy-duty looking rotators. I wonder if I can get a screenshot for ID purposes....hmmm...

If you need any close use pics, let me know :)

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Yup, they sure looks like Dominion Auto 357F flat tops 4 beamers.

I have them here in my collection, the 2 first red and blue ones:

ai767.photobucket.com_albums_xx311_toon80_Lightbars_20collection_DSCN0438.jpg

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Hello folks,

I have found a true Dominion Automotive crossbar to transfer my blinkies on. It is a 64" bar, so even though the squad cars had 54" ones, the police vans had 64", so it will still be correct.

Here are the pictures of the bar pars that will eventually all come together to upgrade the bar.

DSCN0625.jpg

DSCN0626.jpg

DSCN0627.jpg

DA crossbar name tag.jpg

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Where I live, the city PD had the same Dominion Auto roof racks on their cars from 1974 up until the early 1990s. The racks had two four beam flat top Dominion Auto beacons and a Dominion Auto streamlined chrome CP25 style speaker in between. The warning equipment was all Dominion Auto except for the siren.

Most of the cars had Federal PA15A series 1E electronic sirens during that period. A few cars may have had PA150s or PA200s, and I know there were a few with PA300s toward the end. The sirens were all Federal.

Both beacons were red up until 1987. From 1987 up until the end the beacon on the passenger's side was blue.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Richard P said:
where did you find that? id love to get one!

I was lucky and found that one locally in the classifieds. It's been 3 years of searching. Still, I'd love to get a 54" one. That one is 64".

Thanks for the comment, Richard!

Wailer said:
Where I live, the city PD had the same Dominion Auto roof racks on their cars from 1974 up until the early 1990s. The racks had two four beam flat top Dominion Auto beacons and a Dominion Auto streamlined chrome CP25 style speaker in between. The warning equipment was all Dominion Auto except for the siren.

Most of the cars had Federal PA15A series 1E electronic sirens during that period. A few cars may have had PA150s or PA200s, and I know there were a few with PA300s toward the end. The sirens were all Federal.

Both beacons were red up until 1987. From 1987 up until the end the beacon on the passenger's side was blue.

Thanks for the input, Leslie. Yes, it was almost the same here in Montreal.

Early patrol cars had the DA 4 way flasher in red, then two 4-beamers flat top in red, then the same with siren speaker, then they switched the passenger side to blue and mostly put 2 beamers instead of 4.

I'd like to know what siren they used back then in the 80's. I have a PA15A-1E. I fairly think that's what they used. But when I see old footage on tv and hear real sirens -not overdubbed ones- they sometime sounds more low-pitched. I'm guessing maybe older PA20's?

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I remember Toronto had the DA round top in the late 70's then went to the cross bar with 6 flashing stationary lamps(2 front, 2 rear, 1 on each side) until a few years later when the added the 4 beam to the center. 2 red 2 clear.

They went to LP6000's in 85-86???

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
toon80 said:
I'd like to know what siren they used back then in the 80's. I have a PA15A-1E. I fairly think that's what they used. But when I see old footage on tv and hear real sirens -not overdubbed ones- they sometime sounds more low-pitched. I'm guessing maybe older PA20's?

Now that you mention it, back in the 1980s I saw a news video clip of a Montreal PD car running code 3 and it had an early PA15A or PA20A (B, C, or D series) with the low-pitched wail and yelp tones. That deep slow rising wail tone was unmistakable. The car was in the blue paint scheme and had a Dominion auto roof rack with two red dual sealed beam flat top beacons and a CP25 style speaker in between. Many PDs transfer older sirens and radios to newer vehicles, and some of the 1960s vintage Federal electronic sirens survived well into the 1980s.

I also remember seeing a news video clip of Montreal PD plain clothes cops in an unmarked car that had an electronic siren with a wail tone that sounded somewhat like a mechanical siren. I have no idea what make or model it was.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.