My master installation plan (critiques needed)

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Ok... ordered my dash lights. Now I just need to get home so I can install them. But since I'm not at home, I've had alot of time to think how I want to go about installing everything. Currently the setup will be a R/W dash light on the front windshield, and a R/R and A/A dash light in the back window. In the future I would like to install a 90W strobe HAW system. That being said, I present to you my installation plan:

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://inlinethumb09.webshots.com/45384/2154138140079783134S600x600Q85.jpg[/URL]

A note about the cigarette plug...I thought the easiest way to switch my system would be to get one of those cigarette plugs with a switch on it. That way I don't need to run a new hot wire through my dash, and whenever I'm not in the area, I can just unplug it and bada-bing - the system is disabled!

Last edited by a moderator:

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I dont like wires all over my car. If I have a dashlight that I want to remove when im OOS not in my response area, I make an RCA plug on the dash. I like having all my LED's to a switch.

May 22, 2010
New York City
exactly, run a female rca plug or jack to the hardwire system , and then you put a male rca plug on the end of the dash light...... its very neat and easy to remove when not needed !!!

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
The most pro installers use rca plugs. They work great. Ill try to post some pics of them. Its a small plug you can build into the dash so you only have a very short wire. A lot of people with throw lights for 360 have rca plugs by their shoulder so they can plug and throw on the roof without wires all over.

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
Really and RCA plug? Pro installers use them? I am curios to see if Cajun or the like use them for their installs. I use Deutsch or amp connectors myself.

May 22, 2010
New York City
cajun might be a pro at doing police type vehicles.... the pro installer volems and myself are talking about is transforming cadi escalades,lincoln navigators,mercedes,bmw,lexus,hummer,audi,infiniti etc... not knocking cajun or anyone elses work, but to me its a different type of install, a amp connector wouldnt look right sitting on top of a $100,000 dash board, where a RCA jack would blend in more ...... i seen a cadi escalade with almost $20,000 worth of leds and sirens and you know what , when it wasnt lit you would never know it had lights........

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
What installer are you referring to? I would love to see their work, working on high end vehicles is a pain but its interesting. As far as RCA plugs go I wouldnt trust them for a LED dash light much less a halogen rotator. They are designed to carry low voltage signal, not 12 voltage current. I am sure it works just not sure if I would trust them myself. Deutsch connectors are not bad looking and if you use a mount and recess them just you would with the RCA I am sure no one would notice the difference.

As far as the ones vonirkinshine posted those are good for heavy gauge wire like winches but much to large for anything smaller.

emtspruitt

May 25, 2010
Huntsville, AL
The powerpole connectors come in smaller sizes that work great for even 16-18g wire and you can get the larger size for heavy gauge wire for applications like a winch. The powerpole connectors will "lock" together and not come part with vibration. I dont think I would trust RCA type plugs either esp for something with a higher power draw.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
usdemt said:
They are designed to carry low voltage signal, not 12 voltage current. I am sure it works just not sure if I would trust them myself. Deutsch connectors are not bad looking and if you use a mount and recess them just you would with the RCA I am sure no one would notice the difference.

As far as the ones vonirkinshine posted those are good for heavy gauge wire like winches but much to large for anything smaller.

you know i hate bursting people's bubbles but you are not correct in this statement. see image below...

awww.smarthome.com_images_91309side2big.jpg

and it goes to a 12v powered mug that keeps your coffee hot,similar to this one.

aimg.alibaba.com_photo_201043373_USB_Heated_Travel_Mug.jpg

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
Jarred, picture you post have an RCA looking plug on the end of the first, but the second is a standard DC plug. Also just because China does it with cheap gift mugs doesnt mean I trust something like warning equipment to it. I have no doubt it will work, I just wonder for how long.

Also didnt realize power poles came any smaller than heavy gauge wire, thanks for clearing that up.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i know what the second one has thats why i said its on a mug LIKE this. i got a mug for my now deceased step dad for christmas a few years back and it was an RCA plug that looked like that and it workedfor the winter months before he passed. Ive seen other appliances with rca plugs as well

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
emtspruitt said:
The powerpole connectors come in smaller sizes that work great for even 16-18g wire and you can get the larger size for heavy gauge wire for applications like a winch. The powerpole connectors will "lock" together and not come part with vibration. I dont think I would trust RCA type plugs either esp for something with a higher power draw.

BINGO! I ordered a whole bunch of the smaller ones a while ago. I use them for pretty much every wiring project in my cars.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I'm with usdemt, amp/mate plugs. If you don't want the plug showing, leave the lead long enough to tuck away somewhere.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Well, seeing as how I have a stock-pile of the Power Poles, I'm going to use those in my installation wherever I need a connector.

Anyone know where I can get a switched 12V plug? Would Radio Shack have something like that?

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Well, seeing as how I have a stock-pile of the Power Poles, I'm going to use those in my installation wherever I need a connector.

Anyone know where I can get a switched 12V plug? Would Radio Shack have something like that?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.