My on-going in-service Impala project

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
It's slowly getting better. Installed a brand new SoundOff dome lamp which replaced the old "dope light" we had hanging down between the visors.

I'll get some pics of it this fall with the leaves. The board wants a nice framed picture of it for the town hall.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Old thread arisen!

Currently trying to piece together an Eyewitness VHS camera system that the sheriff's department has given us. Actually, I'm picking thru a closet of camera parts trying to get one working unit. Not sure how this will turn out, but we're trying to get an interdiction program started and really need a camera for court.

IN other news, the car has a broken motor mount, plugged cat converter, bad crank sensor, a cracked windshield, no turn signals, and none of the dash lights up at night.

GM Products are so wonderful....

AZEMT

May 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ USA
Sounds like your project car is turning into a bona-fide safety issue. At some point someone's going to have to cry uncle and admit that a new car is going to be cheaper than the costs for liability when someone eventually gets hurt driving this POS around.

Ozzy8585

Jan 29, 2011
Ontario County, NY
Sounds like your having some "typical" Chevy problems. I have an 01' Impala that has had many of the same problems. My suggestion, get a CVPI. They are way better than the Impala. I have both and I would take the Ford any day!

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Believe me, I've been beating my head into a wall for the last year trying to get them to understand they need to buy a new car. This was supposed to be a one or two year MAX temporary solution. One of the board members has evidently suffered amnesia since she states that the car we have is "new" and since her personal vehicle is a 1998, then that means our car should be good enough.

Tried digging around for grants but JAG has nothing and probably won't for the foreseeable future. Lots of good used CVPIs popping up on the net with low mileage and good prices, but even $10k is out of the price range right now. We fired our town clerk after she got caught mismanaging funds and so the town is in the hole another $40,000+ on top of a sewer project that's over budget.

I was researching getting a civvie Crown Vic or even a Grand Marquis. Thought process is that it would be maybe a little cheaper for real low mileage and last longer than a used CVPI. City police near me has had good luck with this so far.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
kadetklapp said:
. We fired our town clerk after she got caught mismanaging funds and so the town is in the hole another $40,000+ on top of a sewer project that's over budget.

We have the same problem but its not just our clerk its everyone in the damn city, they won't allocate any of the money we need to the Fire Dept for new stuff, like we need a compressor to air up the tires on our trucks and they told us they were going to buy a 60 gallon air compressor, well a week later they show up with a 2 gallon compressor for us, and come to find out the city shop not one but TWO new 60 gallon compressors! Money mysteriously comes up missing and shit like that! I think i'm going to run for mayor just to fire all these idiots and re-structure the towns government!

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
kyff80276 said:
Seen your thread seen you were talking about building a 2100 Ive got a bunch of red, blue clear center 2100 flatt lenses sell you a set. im in kentucky if your intrested let me know. jamie

Shoot me a price for a set. Clear or red/clear/blue. Let me know.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Car is at the local garage now getting some things checked off the long list of required repairs. Hopefully when I pick it back up this weekend it will have new motor mounts, catalytic converter, and crank sensor at a minimum. Preferably better front brakes but we couldn't get so lucky.

Anyway, Cajun hooked me up with some 6 diode LEDs that I want to try in the rear of the Excalibur. If I like how it turns out I'll populate the bar further and slap some 2100 domes on it. THAT will be an ideal setup.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
So you guys asked for a vid months ago, and I finally got brave enough to take a quick one. This is with the new Tomar six-diode LED pods I got from Cajunblitz installed in the center lower deck. Unfortunately, I didn't measure ahead of ordering and learned that these are a tad bit too tall for the lower section of an Excalibur. They would be just about perfect for an MX7000, however.

ai256.photobucket.com_albums_hh192_kadetklapp_th_impalavid.jpg

Oh, we got all new brakes all around, stops real well now. Still have no dash illumination, still a plugged up cat, broken motor mount, and probably a crank sensor. New windshield getting installed as we speak.

May 29, 2010
Luminary-Frostbite,TN
kadetklapp said:
So you guys asked for a vid months ago, and I finally got brave enough to take a quick one. This is with the new Tomar six-diode LED pods I got from Cajunblitz installed in the center lower deck. Unfortunately, I didn't measure ahead of ordering and learned that these are a tad bit too tall for the lower section of an Excalibur. They would be just about perfect for an MX7000, however.

Oh, we got all new brakes all around, stops real well now. Still have no dash illumination, still a plugged up cat, broken motor mount, and probably a crank sensor. New windshield getting installed as we speak.

I will have to say that it is starting to shape up there (the lighting and wiring, not the car). I would be interesting in seeing a before video just to see how craptastic it was originally lol. Good work and keep the faith brother!

May 22, 2010
Central WV
kadetklapp said:

It's starting to look like a real police car, haha. Nice job on getting everything redone!

I think you and I need to get together sometime. Shoot me a PM and we can try to work something out to get together. I'm sure we have lots to talk about. Good job again with what you had to work with...I know this county has money to give you a new ride or at least some quality equipment. Maybe I can help you out with some of that. We shall see, like I said just shoot me a PM and we will try to get a meeting setup.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.