My relay/event/shtf/eotwawki "HAM in a can" project box. DONE!!!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
well after a few requests of folks asking me to make this its own thread instead of it all being in the "longest thread" i figure i'd do a start-up/progress thread.

i originaly got this idea after seeing a few vids on you tube...

as well as a few others.

I've worked a few relay type events were we provide comms for check points and resupply points. Since using a HT (or as you public serv guys call them "portables") isnt always an option, and sitting in your car can sometimes not be an option. i have decided it be easier to make this, rather than what i have been using in the past. . .

this would be an example of a check point i ran 2 months ago.

View attachment tdc1.jpg

in this pic you can see i have 2 porta power both at 22 AH hour. 1 ran a scanner the other the radio.

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_41NM6LysMWL._SS500_.jpg

also note the the solar panel sitting next to shade screens leg to try and recharge the porta power while in use.

View attachment tdc2.jpg

this is my icom 207 dual band radio that is usualy in the car. i pulled it out and used a cig plug - t type power connector and set it up on a "zombie can" ammo can. this can was well liked by alot of people lol. I used the box to store 50 feet of coax, an ar450 70cm ringo ranger. ( we were using 440 for the event.) and various other coax connectors and adapters.

also on the table is a wouxun dualband radio and baofeng uv 3r dual band radio. and to the far left is a uniden BCT 350c, also usualy kept in my car.

I had the antenna 20 feet in the air on some fiberglass camo support poles. i also had a mag mount scanner antenna on a different set of the same poles. as seen here.

View attachment tdc3.jpg

so instead of dragging everything out of my car, borrowing somebody elses porta power besides using mine, and having a seperate storage box for coax and the like i figured i would build a box that would do all of this.

hence the beginning of my search for the perfect box.since im a veteran i got a soft spot for military stuff, and "mil spec" usualy trumps most regular items. i was planning on a using a horizontal 80mm ammo can box but can not find any localy. they are online but costs as much to ship them as it does to buy it becuase they are HEAVY. well now that ive been looking into the weight of batteries and things some higher amp hour batteries can weigh 20 lbs by themselves. since toting around a 20lb storage can with 40lbs of batteries in it isnt realy a viable option i looked elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I was in nashville a few weeks ago when i happened upon a very large but lighter weight than the one i rerally wanted. it is a case meant for night vision goggles and it was only $20

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_0701121907.jpg

this box is roughly 14.5 inches wide and 13 long and 10 inches tall

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_0701121914.jpg

the inside is nice and foamed from its previous occupant, but alas the foam is pased being usable, so it will be gutted.

the box seperates into 2 pieces via 6 milspec closures.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_0701121911a.jpg

so it will be good to use for what its intended for. including using the top as a storage area as it is about 4 inches deep.

i have bought the following items for it as of now...

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_0701121915.jpg

12v outlet at wally world was $6

switches, covers, and fuse panel was $30

fans with screws and grill covers is over $20

wire and switches from radio shack was $22

i got 2 feet of zip wire and a feed through so 239 bulhead for $8 (shipped)

anderson power pole with panel mount feed through was $20ish

i got the audio panel mount feed through and dc panel feed through for like $8

Also have 2 pc fan rheostats on the way that cost $11

and 4 12v rack mount leds that were $5.49 a piece

items still to be purchased is a power distribution point from power werx.com

a meter to read power use and charging ability

the batteries themselves and a dual band radio.

thos will be the more expensive items as the powerx items are $78 for the distro panel...

[Broken External Image]:http://www.powerwerx.com/_images/products/RR-4004U_lrg.jpg

and $58 for the doc watts on power meter.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.powerwerx.com/_images/products/DocWatt_lrg.jpg

batteries will be $45.75 a pice plus shipping..

[Broken External Image]:http://www.arizonabattery.com/images/shop/product/12v22ah_nb_lg.jpg

its a 22Amp Hour battery

Rechargeable maintenance-free SLA/AGM

1-5 Year life expectancy(depending on application and end user care)

One year warranty against manufacturer defects

Guaranteed OEM compatible

include terminals in measurement

Length: 7.13 inches

Width: 3.03 inches

Height: 6.50 inches

Weight: 15.50 pounds

Terminal Type: Nut & Bolt

and we now pause for staion identification and to reset pic counter...

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
the box will be able to be used via internal batteries or with the flip of a DPDT switch it can be ran off an external 12v source. (110 power supply or car battery etc)

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_mail2_1.jpg

i have a case mount set of anderson power poles and a dc 2.1mm plug to be used either via solar panels or a battery maintener to keep batteries charged when at an event, or when needing to keep charged at the house. the other side of the switch will go to another set of anderson power poles that will not go to the battery

the leads from the DPDT switch will then go to the ato/atc fuse panel seen above....

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_mail.jpg

in this wiring diagram i have planned out the wiring for the 4 switches that will be used to control the 12v cig outlet, pc fans, and possible backlighting or other items i decide to add at a later date.

as you see the switches will be fused, and a led will be added to the circuit to show its on or off. ( i didnt want to use lighted switches because thats too easy and doesnt look "mil spec"

at this point in time im still trying to figure out the basic lay out for how i will permanently install the items. ive got a few ideas running around but wont really know how it will go until i get all the items in hand and can compare. i was giving 2 different specs on one of the larger items and guess ill have to wait till i can buy it to find out for sure.

the power werx distro panel is the 4004 u. it has 4 extra sets of anderson power poles,(for adding another radio, or any other item that the PP's can be used for) and 2 usb ports ( for usb accesories like fans, lights, charging phones, etc,)

so here are 2 general ideas im shooting for, for now.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_0701121908.jpgaimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_0701121911.jpg

its hard to tell by the pic but i have traced out the 2 80mm fans in each corner at the top of the box.

inbetween the 2 fans will be the distro center.

under the left fan will be the

charging circuits

dpdt switch

alternate source connector.

and possibly the doc watts on(smaller piece of paper) if not itll go under the distro center (larger piece of paper) and the 12 v oulet will go under it or under the other fan.

the right corner towards the bottom will be "Radio out area" for the speaker jack and so 259 feedthrough. if i get a radio that is able to do radio tellytype i might add a feed through for it as well. it will also depend the type of radio i get of how it will be mounted in the box. im hoping to find a cheap one that can be remote mounted in the box with the control head up top. id love for this to be a yaesu 857 all mode, or a icom 706 all mode but both of those are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy out of my budget. (even used) so for now it will have to be a dual band 2m, 70cm.

and that is it thus far.

so any questions, comments, or requests for address for donations :hail: , post away

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Damn radio geeks.

-Signed KC0JAR, who works for a very large commercial/public safety radio company.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
so ben ever going to upgrade? lol

got the leds, so 239 feedthrough, power wire, and fan controllers in the mail yesterday.

my gf looked at it all and said "whats this stuff for" :haha:

i tried to show her and explain to her what i was doing and the reason. she looked at me like:crazy:

but said "thats cool"

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
Geeks of the world unite under the radio flag... :D

Got into ARES down here in nevada, but once we move back north we won't be getting into it again, since I'll be actually responding again versus being a supporting element via ARES/RACES.

My go box consists of multiple VX-7R's and a FT-857 that's set up for quick disengagement as the base station.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Jarred J. said:
so ben ever going to upgrade? lol

Maybe some day. I'm up to my elbows in commercial radio, I hardly find time to pick up the mic on my ham stuff.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
got bored and wasnt tired after work so i roughed up the 1st two known electrical circuits

these are the LEDs i bought from oznium.com.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_0703121538a.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_0703121538.jpg

they're about as bright as id thought they'd be.

so heres the fan controllers, fans, status light and switch all figured in. i was using my d c power supply for my radio to run these.

Off

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_0703122219.jpg

and on

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_0703122222.jpg

the 2 black boxes goin to the fans are rheostats for fan speed.

and heres the easy one.

d c 12 outlet.

off

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_0703122229a.jpg

and

on.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_0703122229.jpg.

im thinking of making the top for the contol panels to be secured to a bottom panel the batteries and fuse panel can be attached to so it can pull out as a whole unit. OR welding some small angle iron to the box and afixing the panel to it, with some type of easy to open fastener.

like this...

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_4119gCwVjqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

so it will be easy to open with a couple of 1/4turn connectors vs screwing and unscrewing several regular screws...

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Check out the locks for arcade machines/pinball machines. They're like $1.50 on ebay. They're pretty much like the pic you posted, but deeper to get past the inner lip on a Pelican style case.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ill have to look into it, but i dont egay.

bought some fuses last night and ordering the doc watts on today.

i think ill start some of the smaller metal work next week. ill be gettign a nice paycheck at the part time job by working 6 days in a row. (no ot though)

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
well just put in an order for another $80+ worth of stuff..

DocWatt-Bare Doc Wattson Meter - DC Inline (End Configuration: Bare Wires) $59.99

1462G1 Powerpole Mounting Clamp Pair for 2 or 4 PP15/30/45 Powerpoles $2.49

BULLET-2-PP Bullet/SAE Connector to Powerpole - 1 ft. long $9.99

CustomCable14 45 Amp Red/Black Anderson Powerpole, 10 gauge Red/Black Bonded Zip Cord (Length: 1 ft. 6 in.), Bare wire ends - add your own $13.99

that should finish up wiring and 1 of the "bigger ticket items". next up will be the 4004usb. then the batteries and itll be nothing but assembling/ fabrication after that .

if i could afford one large purchase, or if i had a local supplier, itd save me on this friggin shipping.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
was at lowes yesterday looking at metal for a frame. looks like their price is 4.99 for 3 feet of 1/4 inch angle iron. looks like ill be going to a real metal place for their pricing cause it should be less than a $1 a foot

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . project temporarily on hold due to lawn mower wanting my money. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

twisted_metal

Jan 22, 2011
Toronto ON, Canada
Jarred J. said:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . project temporarily on hold due to lawn mower wanting my money. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

that's a terrible thing to call your wife, I call mine the dishwasher or remote start.

I'll be patiently waiting for more updates. great project so far.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
1. not married (gf)

2. uhhh she doesnt know how to "operate" a lawn mower

i know your kidding. lol like i said ill take donations lol

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Usually when my dishwasher or lawnmower stop working, I smack her and tell her to get back at it. She doesnt know how to cut the lawn? What,she never used scissors in pre-school? :haha:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
safety scissors dont cut grass..

but back tot he original topic.

my items are supposed to be here tommorow.

with my next check i have to revive some of my svings but i think ill get the metal i need and maybe a nother small item or 2.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
if i dont have to work tommorow at the park im picking up some metal ill need. i went to our local metal supply place and they dont sell angle iron less that 1/2 inch so i guess TSC it is. also will try to go to hobby lobby to find some colored foam (if they have it)

here's what i got yesterday

the doc wason, another rack moutn holder for the other set of anderson power poles. this will be the "other source" wire so its a bigger gauge wire than the other.

also ordered the adapter to go from power poles to sae auto bullet plug. this will go to the solar chargers output to the cases input. (it cam with both adaptors)

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_0712122355.jpg

here's the doc

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_0712122355a.jpg

and here is the doc's placement on the panel's mockup. (and a comparison of the piece of paper of its "mock up" size)

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_shtf_20box_0712122356.jpg

just need batteries, radio, metal, foam, and then oddball adaptors and cables.

the adaptors ill probably get at huntsville hamfest next month.

next big purchase item will be the power werx 4004 usb 9which is on hold due to mower problems.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
so saturday i went to a meeting in smyrna. on my way back i made a few trips in the boro for some local supplies.

went to hobby lobby and got

2 packs of 14 x 14 x 1 foam for 2.27 a package.

then went to home depot.

2 drawer handles for "pulls" for the top at 2.99 a piece.

also got 18 inch section of piano hinges for 8.47

there was going to be more but due to idiots at my john deere dealer its been delayed some more.

might have a lead on a dual band radio.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
supplies i got saturday

supplies.jpg

and here is a newer "mockup"

box.jpg

clockwise from bottowm left.

power pole mount for input source not from box.

DPDT switch for selection between sources as well as red covered missle switch for master on

power pole mount for charging source (solar) and next to it 2.1mm input for regular charger

fan

mockup of 4004 usb. (doc watts on under neath and 12v cig plug)

fan

4 on off switches with oznium.com green leds

pl 259 rack mount for rf out

3.5mm audio out.

inbetween is the 2 handles

Just need one more big ticket item for this (the white piece of paper) which will be the power werx 4004usb.

this is just a quick throw together mockup i did early this morning. (otherwise id cut the holes in the cardboard and hide the wires, but then the fans would be hidden since they'll be under the lid.

friday ill get the metal for the frame of the lid to be turned into a storage area. and find a latch for it.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
box 7.jpg

went to a ham tailgate in east Tn this weekend.

picked up a speaker for the external speaker port, some 8 gauge zip wire to have a better connection for paralleling the batteries, and a 8 terminal studs for various connections (battery to battery, switch to stud, etc. (will probably need more)

also got a cig plug - 2.1mm connector for running the box off of "car power" or charging via "car power" while mobile or inbetween sites etc.

and bought a 6ft piece of speaker wire with connectors so i can cut one end's plug off and solder it to the audio jack for the inside of the box.

power werx is on its way to me now somewhere between california and here. should be here thursday and that will"complete" what all i originaly had planned for top of the cover.

just need radio and batteries. batteries will be next purchase as it will be the next cheapest thing to buy. I have another icom 207h at a friends shop where he is replacing one of the leds on the face plate where it burned out. but id rather have a dual band dual display for this application. there is supposed to be a new radio coming out next month and i might get it. it is type 90 accepted.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Jarred J. said:
there is supposed to be a new radio coming out next month and i might get it. it is type 90 accepted.

Which one are you looking at? I'm soooo waiting for the TYT-8900 quad bander. We'll see if it ever becomes a reality.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
well my power werx 4004 usb came in. it was all nice and packaged ina box 4 times its size:weird:

opened it up and lo and behold all the fuses were there and in place. what wasnt was a power and ground wire...

it takes an outward bound source with anderson power pole connectors.... so off i went this morning and placed an order for 2 feet of 10 gauge and a 45 amp PP connector. also got some dust caps for the other connectors and the 2 input source connectors..

once i get the mower back together (AGAIN) ill be able to mow a few yards this weekend to replenish my wallet. next pay check i get.... BATTERY TIME!!!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
well i did a lil work yesterday on it.

took out all the old nasty foam from the top "storage section" and replaced it with new.

storage.jpg

and used my hand dandy power supply

ps.jpg

to power the fuse panel and did a little "real world" wiring

wired up.jpg

and minus the above switches this is the final full size mock up. next step is getting it "real world" wired ready. and then getting metal cut for the various things.

top.jpg

the website and the given measurements were BOTh wrong for the measurements for the power werx panel (in top middle between fans). it was slightly smaller. so i may have room to mount the fans' rheostats inbetween it and the fans, or i may move it down to the box somewhere else. (theres more than enough wiring.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
10 gauge power wire with anderson power poles and ring terminals showed up yesterday and is installed. pics when i get time.

running out of time to have this ready in 3 weeks.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
You should have just bought one of these...

afarm5.static.flickr.com_4028_4247087933_8dc8525186.jpg

LOL :haha: :dielaugh:

Seriously though, this project is coming along nicely... Good job man, can't wait to see it complete... :thumbsup:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
picked up 10 feet of 1/2 x 1/2 angle iron yesterday. for a nice $10. since i had to take money ou of savings to get a new weedeater i figured i'd get this to.

hopefuly this will be easy enough to cut with a hacksaw if not i can use a small bandsaw at the part time job. just need to measure, measure, measure, cut, remeasure and maybe cut some more...

with my bigger piece of sheet metal i need to draw out the boxes. i noticed last night that the "lid" will need a slightly bigger piece of that metal for its storage. its big enough i can cut 2 pieces out of it and then have nough to make a maller "tray" to mount radio, batteries and fuse panel to it as sub section to the main stuff on top, that way if i have to remove items it comes out as a complete unit and won't have to have excessive wires to lay it down and then take out other stuff.

like i said earlier time is running out for when i need this. . . the pressures is on. the batteries will be ordered tommorow!!!

then ill just need a radio. as the last big ticket item. next smaller stuff is some latches.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
order in for batteries. . .

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
and according to usps theyll be here today!!!

THAT WAS QUICK.

came from arizona.

didnt get as much done as i'd hope this weened. i did get the speaker cable i bought tested, cut, reatached to the panel mount jack, rechecked and shrink wrapped. so thats out of the way.

now just have to do same with 2.1mm power plug.

still need to order closing mechanism for storage part and to use for the main panel. and metal/fab work. i'm thinking after next week ill have more time to work on it when my hours at the park get cut back.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Jarred J. said:
i'm thinking after next week ill have more time to work on it when my hours at the park get cut back.

Good thing you have most of the parts then... Hours cut means less project money... lol

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i guess its not so much a cut in hours as it is days.

ill be working more on weekends, less during week. now that summer sports are done and school starts back today.

ill be working a day or 2 in the week and 15 hours on 1 day during the weekend. but its still "up in the air" ive got a lil more 500 hors out of my 1000 hours i can work there left.

got a text message from GF the batteries are at the house wating on me. she says the postal person thought i ordered bricks in the mail.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
1 batt.jpg

1, 1 battery ah ah ah ah

2 batt.jpg

2! 2! batteries, ah ah ah ah ah ( and my foot)

2 in the box.jpg

2 in the box

ready to go.jpg

ready to go...

we be fast and they be slow....

switces.jpg

and here is the double pole double throw switch (aka power source selector) almost ready. im going to take it to a friends and do some soldering to guarantee a good connection. im also going to try to pick up some "bell" wire to make the other charging circuit today after 2nd job.

yesterday i ordered another rubber switch cover for this switch. i need to get a small battery charger now to keep these suckers standby ready.

i'm kinda excited its all coming along so well. :D

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
awww.rvpartscountry.com_assets_images_graphics_311_250_311515_to_311517.jpg

found a closer for the upper compartment. just need to find a few more for bottom

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Dumb question, where am I supposed to reference the project,here, or the longest thread. Since all you ever mention there is your box. Or your mower. Just sayin, is awl.... :D

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
trying to keep this thread relevant to topic at hand.

the other rubber switch cover showed up. last night i soldered the connections. i also went to "the shack" and bought a couple fo cig plugs with 2.1mm ends.

one will be used for charging box from a cig outlet or as a scanner plug etc. the other lived a short life as its intended purpose as it was butchered for its wiring and parts. i took 2 feet of the wire on it and made the harness for the 2.1mm case mount plug. i tied those wires in to the 12gauge wire with anderson PP connector with the same lugs and then filled them with solder as well for the charging circuitry.

ive got to tweak the other harness tonight where a meter gave me a false positive due to tight spaces on which terminal on the back was the negative.

ill have pix later. after this lil fix all the wiring for the box as planned now are 1 harness away from being complete. i just have to make the connection from the DPDT switch above to the fuse panel. that includes incorporating the doc watson meter into the ground circuit

after that its all up to the fabrication with metal and im planning on doing some of that saturday after the meeting.

:)

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
wire2.jpg

ok so heres my wiring i did the other day and last night.

cut 2 feet out of the cig plug. added anderson power poles to what was left. this can now be used as a power wire for either a mobile scanner or the charger for my wouxun radio. or any other 12v device with a 2.1mm plug

the next one is the wire i got from power werx with the anderson PP on it.

took wire from cig plug added connectors for battery terminals. then soldered on the panel mount feed through. (the correct time the 2nd time)

wire 1.jpg

yesterday i ordered this to charge batteries when at the house...

battery_tender_junior_12v.jpg

and i just ordered 4 non keyed cam lock closures for the bottom half. as of now that should conclude the items needed to make the box.

Still need a radio for it and few accesories. and a few screws and nuts to mount some items. ill see what i can get done this weekend and post updates monday

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.