My relay/event/shtf/eotwawki "HAM in a can" project box. DONE!!!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
charger showed up saturday. i used the sae autp bullet adapter to anderson power pole adapter for the batteries nd it works as should. this is .075 battery charger so its taking awhile to charge 44AH batteries. last count was 18 hours for 80% charge. i didnt want to leave them unattended for 1st charge so i will finish the charging later.

i didnt get any metal work done due to a buddy selling his metal shears. Ive heard of a guy in town with plasma cutters and im heading there after work.

i had a long meeting saturday dealing witht he tail gate party on the 25th (see ad in industry events)

sunday was mowing day and meet the new landlord day so i idnt get much work done. i did however make the power wire ready for the DP DT switch to fuse panel.

ive got a very long short week this week. ( i know that doesnt make sense but im working 5 days worth of time in 3 between 2 jobs) then im off for vacation.

i also orderd some more wirng stuff from another ham. an extension cable to run to the "other source in" a set of battery clips to a short lead to run off a battery, a small run of wire with a male t type plug for a radio once i get one.

see what i can get done then.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ok got i got the bottom's section of angle iron cut last night. tonight ill do the top's half then it'll be welding time. since i have a some metal left over it'll make a good "stop" for the batteriess so they dont go sliding upwards. they cant move side to side as they are the exact size of the box.

didnt hear back from fab guy yet.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
got the bottom sections cut that day. fab guy still hasnt called and i wont have time this week to go back by his place. taking the box today to a friends shop to weld in the angle iron pieces. and to see what he's got to cut the metal sheet with.

while i was on vacation i got a usb fan for 1 of the usb ports. i looked at some usb leds but didnt find any that would suffice to my brightness requirments.

i ordered a power pole 10 foot 10 gauge extension cable, a 3 foot 10g cable with battery clips, and a 6 foot 12g power pole to T type male connector. they all got here yesterday.

i guess its a shame my time line for wanting to have it done will pass without being completed...

at least i have all the parts in and can "make it work" for this weekend.

i didnt get a dual band radio at huntsville as everybody was wanting too much for what they "thought" they had.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
sheesh yet another snap.

so most ammo cases are made of steel. i went to a guy's house whose in another club i'm in. i almost thought we were going to work a miracle and have this in usable condition for saturday. he cut the large metal into sections and rounded off the corners to fit in the sections. we go to pull out a welder and he asked the magic question thati had presumed.

"isnt this made out of aluminum?"

SNAFU...

now i got to redo the angle iron in aluminum and find somebody who can weld it as he didnt trust himself to do it and it be "showable"

since the top pieces will still be steel looks like im going to have to try something else with the top section. the bottom one will be ok as it will only be sitting on the angle "iron"

so here's some more pics...

metal.jpg

this is the 2 "lids" plus another piece which will hold the fuse panel and radio bracket...

fuse panel.jpg

like this but neater. (only for example.)

storage lid.jpg

this is the storage lid which is probably going to have to be redesigned for closure. (minus the wiring) that is a piano hinge in the middle to represent where it will open. plus the closure in the middle top. this may have to be redsigned to using 4 turn knobs to open it up. ill still have to play with the idea...

almost there.jpg

over view of what it will look like when finshed. before drilling and cutting holes. ( the fans will be under the cover and grille covers will be inon top. having to add 1/4inch holes for the 4 turn knobs has decreased my working space on top).

1 of 4.jpg

phone resized this pic to small. this is the top 1/4 of the panel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
2 of 4.jpg

bottom corner where coax feed through and speaker feed through go. also 2 switches and and corresponding leds, and close up of cam lock

3 of 4.jpg

clockwise from bottom..

panel mount for power poles (auxillary power source)

spdt switch, missle switch

panel mount for power poles (charge circuit) also 2.1 mm plug

not pictured is fan rheostat

fan

pwer werx 4004 usb (with dust covers over power poles)

under is it doc watson power meter and 12v outlet)

fan

not pictured is fan rheostat.

also pictured is 3 of the 4 cam lock to "lock" it on box.

2 handles

this thing is getting so close to being done its nerveracking i keep getting setback!!!

now to go get some aluminum, and find someone who can TIG weld.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
just to tell you how bad these 16 hour days are going i just noticed i havent updated in a week.

i guess the reason i havent updated is because i havent gotten anything done. until now.

one of the guys who has a fab shop that does rack work for this company has a tig welder.

i just handed over my project box and aluminum to see if he can do something with it.

ill know something by friday he says.

saturday at our tail gate i ran the check in station off of the batteries and they were in the box but just "for looks". i set up my solar panels plugged them into the box and it ran the 8 hours just fine. i got a lot of compliments and questions about my set up and the answer i gave was "its a work in progress i hope to have done soon"

got home, plugged the batteries onto the battery tender and within 3 minutes they went from charging, to 80% charged, to done.

so that lets me know the solar panels and charge controller did their job.

in the next couple of weeks im looking at getting the wouxun dual band mobile from a guy in AL. Once purchased, its a simple install and i will have all the items good to go and ready.

this weekend i dont work the part time job but i do have to mow 5 or 6 yards. ill pick up some nuts and bolts and hard mount a few things. i found out the so 239 panel mount i ordered is kinda goofy and not realy what i need. (without using a double male, to a double female back to the co ax) so i ordered a 2 inch 239 feed through "rod."

everything is going to come down to what i hear on friday if im going to have to go back to square 1. . . :rolleyes:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
oh great. dude popped a diode on the welder and lincoln wants $425 for another one. . .

so continues the delay.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
23 days later, guy replaces diode, wrong diode off by a letter.

ZAP blown circuit board,

$780 to fix and he's not goping to fix it for awhile.

box is now back in my hands and i have to find another fab shop. . . . .

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
which i found last night. showed them what i wanted done. i get a phone call while im waiting for my tire to get changed that its ready.

i go there to pick it up and they only did half of it...?

she apologized said theyll have it ready by the time i get off today. (2pm)

cost so far to do this is $54 and some change for an hour of labor at their shop.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
im begining to wonder if i bit off more than i can chew with this. ideas in your head seem good, until you do "real world" applications. on cardboard i have tons of room for all i want to add to it. for some reason in the real version its extremely difficult to make it happen especialy with all the setbacks but heres some new pic up dates.

here is the "base plate" which will house the fuse panel (now attached) and the radio mounting bracket.

base plate.jpg

both the top and bottom halves now have this lovely $54 addition (welding expenses) This is the support frame for top plates.

bottom new.jpg

this is the bottom's top plate which all the items will be mounted to. as seen on the box.

i call it "my blank canvas"

blank canvas.jpg

after a few hours at work yesterday with nothing to do and a somewhat small "machine shop" and limited measuring tools.

we have. . .

getn started.jpg

1. centered out the box with a sharpie to get some "squareness" in the final design.

at each point of the centering will be the cam locks to hold the lid down (even though as tight as a fit it is, it really doesnt need it. unless it gets knocked over, I may just do 2 on each side or top bottom. if i do just 2 ill get some space back.)

2. measured out and drilled, then redrilled, then measured some more then drilled and measured the drilling for the pull handles. which are DEFINETLY needed.

3. drilled a hole for the audio feed through which is now installed. (easiest thing to do so far!!!)

thats the lil "dot" in the top right corner.(which actulay will be bottom right)

4. drilled two 7/16th holes for main power on and DPDT switch.

I got the main power on in, then had a call in the park i had to respond to and it was too late at nightto finish up. second hole needs some filing done on it before the second swcith will go in.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

i hope i dont have to wait 2 more weekends to work on this some more. i had to order some langer longer cams for the locks because the 3/4 werent long enough and now i have to wait for them to get here.

i have a drill and some bits at the house so ill have to see what i can do with what limited capabilities i have. i also now realize i shouldnt have permanetl wired up some of the circuits as now im going to have to cut the wires to let the leds go in the case. :rolleyes:

ohh well the work continues ... - - - ...

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
rough out.jpg

trying to get the fan holes and the section for the power werx drilled and cut out today. have to see what i can do.

this is a lil better idea for how itll be finished due to my newly founded restrictions. (handles taking up to much space) and the cam locks beig bigger than id like.

this pic doesnt include the 2 other switches or the 4 leds which will show them on and also the 12v cig plug im going to have to relocate. to somewhere with more room. (maybe near switches). once its done it'll look rather empty on top burt all the stuff on the bottom is what will be taking up the room.

the fan rheostats are going to have to be squeezed in somehwere and i still need to cut out the spaces for the power poles that will be sticking out. the 2.1mm dc plug will be easy as it'll be just be a small drill bit. the place for the coax will be next to the audio out (thing with black cover on it.).

the space under the doc watts on (black box with lcd) will be where the remote mounted radio head will go (once i get one)

once its all assembled and checked for functionality, itlll have to be undone, painted and then itll be DONE

then ill have to see what kind of room i have to turn the top into a storage box. as of right now the bottom's top plate is counter sunk abont half an inch.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
mucho prgoresso has been made o,

getn there.jpg

ok so last week i had some one try to get the center square whole cut out for me. yesterday i finished it up to be done, also last week i had the 2 holes for he fans cut out by the guys here in the die maintenace shop here at work.

this weekend i drilled the hole for the fan screws, screw holes for the power werx, drilled out the hole for the Coax feedthrough (black dust cap in lower right corner)

holes for the wires for the doc watts on to go through, all 4 led and switch holes and the 2 holes (which aint pretty but will be covered by holders) for the power pole feedthroughs. need to get the bolts for those today. getting close to paint and finalizing but as of right now i need 4 more holes drilled:

the 12v outlet,

a hole for the wire feed through for the power werx,

and 2 turn style cam locks to keep lid on.

ohh and still need a radio. . . (the search continues, if i dont just end up buying a new one)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
can you taste it.jpg

so the bottom half should be done by this weekend. i need to go get anothe rpart welded to the bottoma nd that will definetly be done.

This weekend i pre installed the fans, drilled out the holes for the rheostats, 12v outlet, widened the holes where the wires for the doc watson will go in and out of the box, and was given some grommets to protect the wires. Also drilled the hole for the power wire coming from the fuse panel to the rig runner, was given a grommet for it as well. Also, drilled the holes for the cam locks. one was drilled a lil too big so its going to have to be "repaired" (if it aint one thing its another)

It seems one of the rubber switch covers gas gone AWOL so i might have to order another one.

so

this is a "prequel" to what it will look like once minor problem has been resolved, minus paint. and radio face plate. (still waiting on the right one to buy!!!)

so close.jpg

so for the run down so far.

from my hand clockwise,

hole for the "auxillary in" power pole set.

left to right

cam lock, "master on" power source selector (batteries or external)

power pole for charging, 2.1mm port for charging

exhaust fan

rig runner 4004 usb

intake fan

center of box 12v outlet 2 pull handles

under intake fan.

2 rheostats for fans

4 leds

4 switches

Doc Wattson power meter

coax and 3.5mm audio feed through.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
some new progress...

new bottom.jpg

batteries are in for good. they still wanted to slide around some even though i had a left over piece of aluminum angle iron welded to the inside.

i fixed that problem by adding some left over foam. problem solved. you can see the foam under the batteries in this pic.

i may have to add some adhevise backed magnets to the under side of the fuse panel portion later in case it shifts once radio body is added.

painted base.jpg

holy painted top base plate batman!!!

sand.jpg

in order to provide a little contrast to the colors, i got black for the "tactical look" and decided to offset it with sand camo paint. i was going to paint the power pole frame mounts red but the red around the red power pole, or leaving it balck with the black power pole would look off balance so i went with sand.

also the acorn nuts for the bolts for the 4004usb, nut for the 3.5mm audio jack and 2.1mm power feedthrough were painted sand as well for contrastness.

attached.jpg

this is a pic of how i "counter sunk" the power werx 4004 usb

1 inch bolt, power werx, nut. threads.. . ..another nut to tighten to the bottom of the top plate and then the acorn nut on top

wanted to make suure it really didnt move! plus with having to pull and push on it to plug and unplug things it adds ridgidity.

new top.jpg

and this is what i got done last night.

fished the wire through the panel and grommet for the 4004usb's power connection (BIG PITA)

mounted the 4004 usb, put the grab handles back on, mounted the 2 charging circuits. (power poles and 2.1mm jack.)

gettin closer to be being done!!!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
update. anytone doesnt appear to be in a hurry to get their radios in the us market, i need a radio for this by next weekend not next year.

i was browsing qrz and fianlly found a nice dual bander in a reasonable price.

$250 for an older kenwood tm - v7a

they're a good radio, and i can always resell or add it to the arsenal.

"Arsenal" includes

yaesu 290r 2 meter all mode

2 icom 207hs

wouxun kg uv 1dp

baofeng uv3r

baofeng uv 5r

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
my elmer has a radio like the one i bought. i set it in the box last night for size comparison. it is an EXACT fit lenght wise, but i got 3 inches to spare long ways.

the guy im buying it from is including mobile mount bracket, remote mount cable, face plate relocation bracket and a few other things, so ill need to drill a few more holes for the face plate wire, and microphone jack to go through. Im figure a half inch hole with a nice gasket should suffice. once its here.

getting closer.jpg

last night after spending time re cutting the hole for cam lock...

i readded the 4 leds, 4switches, power selctor switch, both fan rheostats, 1 fan with radiation symbol grill cover, doc watts on, coax feedthrough 3.5mm speaker jack and the power pole feed through for "auxillary power in"

tonight if i have time ill mount the other fan, and the 2 cam locks. then this weekend at the part time job on sunday when i got time to kill ill get it all wired up. if not sunday will be the day that this phase of the project comes to an end. :woohoo:

i was just looking at this pic and with all the black, you really cant see anything lol ill take a pic in better light later, and then when its allwired up and lit up.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
box.jpg

here is the box all closed up. it does fit the way it is so the top will be made into the storage area as planned.

got it all wired up, (dont ask to see wiring, it need straighting thats for sure.) but its functional as is and thats all that matters for now.

wheres the radio.jpg

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
phase 2 has started.

this phase wont take near as long to do.

i bought a grab handle at lowes yesterday. so ill drill the holes for it and paint it tonight.

then i got to find out how sensitive the foam will be to spray paint. i test a scrap piece last night and so far no melting.

whats going in it.

whatsinthebox.jpg

50 ft of rg mini 8

1/4 wave mag mount dualband antennae with 18 feet of coax attached

10ft 10 ga wire with power poles

6ft 12 ga power pole - t type plug

3 ft 10ga power pole - battery clips

6 ft 12 ga cig plug to type

6ft power pole to 2.1mm charging cable for wouxun charger

3 inch speaker

12v goose neck light

6ft cig plug - 2.1mm

barrell connector

reverse sma - 239

weather proof notepad

and room for more. . .

dont beleive me. . . . . ?

loaded.jpg

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ok busy night last night after my lil nap after work...

measured and drilled out hole for handle, went to mart and bought some fabric, applied glue to foam, foam to box ( on the sides.)

applied glue to fabric, fabric to foam, foam to box.

storage finished.jpg

when glue is totaly dry ill put items back in it and close it up.

one last missing component should be here today! ( if not tommorow)

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
so after looking at the first thread and trying to remeber where in the longest thread i actualy started this i think it was late june or july 1st.

so today is nov 1st.

It has taken me 4 months to do this project but it has been a unique and fun experience.

if not for the 3 week delay it would have been 13 weeks. (mostly due to shipping and money restrictions) if it came down to actual "hour of work" we're probably taking about 3 weeks fo real work time.

this phase is done.

at some point in time the box will be upgraded to an all mode radio(hf vhf uhf) and it might get used for "chasing the waterfall" if i ever feel like going digital.

this radio has a 1200 /9600 baud packet modem in it and it would just take a laptop, serial - to usb convertor to make it work. (plus actual software)

alright now for the pics.

radio fuse tray.jpg

here is the radio and mounting bracket attached to the tray where the fuse panel is attached. nice perfect fit.

radio in.jpg

here's the radio permanently mounted in its new home sitting next to the batteries.

done for now.jpg

and heres the face plate on the case, it isnt attached to the velcro because it the adhesive wasnt set up. i set it on it for half a second and when i pulled it up it tried taking it all back off.

ill have to try and find an extension for the microphone cable. and a screw for the remote mount kit for the radio. right now its secured with electric tape. since this radio is several years old and out of production finding either will be almost impossible. but it works as is.

i had to pic up some grommets at lowes last night, velcro at the mart, and i though i was goin to need an audio splitter which i got at the shack. turns out this radio is programmable in you can make it control the internal speaker and both jacks to do what you want them to do. (kinda neat)

today im going to try and read the manual get a good understanding of the programming and get some freqs into it.

this will get its first use this weekend at an alzheimers bike ride. and ill take pics of it in use.

:2thumbs:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.