My Restored Beacon Ray Model 11 Visi-bar

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
hello fellow followers!

I just finished another long awaited project. This time it is a Federal Signal model 11 Visi-bar with Visi-beam. I started by completely disassembling the lightbar. I'm talking even removing the gears and everything. this thing was in all the individual pieces! I sent the aluminum frame and beacon bases to the powder coater and all the stainless pieces were sent out to the polisher to be mirror polished. This project was a little unique i think, because i haven't seen to many with the original Visi-beam mount. Since all the stainless has been mirror polished it looks absolutely amazing in my opinion, especially when placed next to regular Visi-bar. Let me know what you think.

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_002_2.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_011_1.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_007_1.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_004_1.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_006_1.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_003_1.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_013_1.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_010_1.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_012_1.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
What kind of emergency vehicle would use a light rack like that? :?:

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Wailer said:
What kind of emergency vehicle would use a light rack like that? :?:

They ruled in my area in the late 60's up to the early 90's. My local PD kept them forever it seemed. They switched to AeroTwinsonics in about 1992 or so, and everyone thought that was a huge deal. I bought one at the PD auction for about $40.00. Wish I had it now! All blue domes and wide mouth speakers.

Incredible job, by the way. Beautiful bar.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Wailer, that Federal "rack" used to be the industry standard, especially in the early 60s to mid 70s, when completely enclosed lightbars finally took over. Most of those Federal model 11 Visibars either had a speaker or nothing at all in the center instead of the Visibeam remote controlled spot/flood light that is pictured on that restored bar. Some departments would mount lollipop type lights beside the beacons and add driving type lights to the bar's frame in different areas for alleys and takedowns. I've even seen a model 174 oscillating super Beacon Ray mounted in the center, and when combined with the synchronized beacons on the ends, put out an awesome punch of a signal. There were some pretty unique homebrew setups that were used by various agencies and some became recognized as unique to specific departments.

One small town department I was with in the Arkansas Ozarks from '83 to '85 still used model 11 Visibars on the three patrol cars. They hilariously had mounted one on a Dodge Aries K car we regrettably acquired because the chief though the front wheel drive would be good for the mountain roads all over town. It stuck out over the roof quite a bit and it caused a nasty headache if you nailed it when jumping out on a hot call. We would have killed to have had some Aerodynic bars like the county had.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Eric,

how much time does it take to pull that off?

From buffing to transport to mounting/dismounting and all and all?

Awesome job; you're setting one hell of a standard! ;)

Toon

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
thank you for the comments so far! Toon, it depends what my schedule is like and what project i am working on, but it takes a lot......Aerodynic fans will be pleasantly surprised next...stay tuned :cool:

Stendec

May 21, 2010
That is absolutely badass. If the domes were blue and not that fruity pinkish color I'd run it on my cruiser today. You need the dual flashers, to help knock a couple MPH off the top end.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Stendec said:
That is absolutely badass. If the domes were blue and not that fruity pinkish color I'd run it on my cruiser today. You need the dual flashers, to help knock a couple MPH off the top end.
lol yeah, you got the LL-4 lolli-pop mounting brackets federal made? :)

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
Very nice as usual.

I wish I had the time to tackle projects like that these days.

I still have 4 un-restored CTS's to do.

Just not enough hours in a day lately between 60 hours a week at the parts store, and then meetings and commitees every night at the fire station.

Great job Eric.

crhaney

Jun 10, 2010
Russellville, Arkansas
Outstanding Job, Eric! This brings back memories. I remember in the early 70's when I was a police officer, we went from federal 184's to the Visibar with the chrome cp25 speaker in the middle. We thought we were something, first PD in the county to have them! They were mounted on 1972 Dodge Polaras and worked great. Really like the remote spot light on yours and the mirrored stainless really sets it off.

Ray

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Very cool visa-tacular

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
03crownvic said:
Wailer, that Federal "rack" used to be the industry standard, especially in the early 60s to mid 70s, when completely enclosed lightbars finally took over. Most of those Federal model 11 Visibars either had a speaker or nothing at all in the center instead of the Visibeam remote controlled spot/flood light that is pictured on that restored bar.

I know all about the Twin Beacon Ray rack - I was just wondering what type of emergency vehicle would have one with a Visibeam in the the middle?

The Twin Beacon Ray rack I'm most familiar with is the one with a CP25 speaker in the middle.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
I dunno. That era was just beginning to see takedowns and alleys, and the visibeam may have been mounted there as a compromise to serve both functions. The norm was a speaker, but it also wasn't unusual to see speakers mounted to fenders, or directly on the roof in front of the bar. There were also some oddball asymmetrical bars, with any combination of lights and speakers mounted in different order.

The brand name slips me, but the pop-can remote spotlights were out at that time, and often mounted on the passenger fender or hood lip, where they could never quite be pointed exactly where they needed to be, plus they would freeze up in winter, usually aimed straight at the driver's eyes.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Really sweet restoration! The VisiBeam is an unusual option on the Twin Beacon Ray.

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
wow great looking lightbar . Can honestly say never have seen one in WV. with the visibeam . Most State Troopers had the visibeams mounted on the aero bars for a short while but seem to have a lot of trouble with them freezing up, never seen them after they went to edge bars. As another member stated that type of bar would look great with can lights

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
I have one of these and where the bulbs mount is oxidized. Pretty sure from mositure over time. I was thinking emory cloth to clean it up but I am afraid it'd scratch them to much. Any thoughts guys? I can post a pic in a day or 2 if need be. Thanks.

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
That's a very rare combination you have there. Your time and effort are clearly visible by the outcome. Congratulations to you, sir!!

03crownvic said:
I've even seen a model 174 oscillating super Beacon Ray mounted in the center, and when combined with the synchronized beacons on the ends, put out an awesome punch of a signal. There were some pretty unique homebrew setups that were used by various agencies and some became recognized as unique to specific departments.

In the late 70's & early 80's, while I was living in the metropolitan Ft. Lauderdale area, there were a couple of police agencies that mounted blue domed CJ-184 beacons in the center of the visibar, which had red domes on the outer beacons. Those were pretty potent combinations.

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
Chrome looks sweet!! Nice job. (don't mind me still laughing at the guy who was wondering about what these would be used on :haha: :bonk: )

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
I am happy to see that you finally got around to using that NOS Vis-Beam bracket I sent you years ago! :thumbsup:

BTW.... I think I see a scratch on it next to the.... well.... nevermind! ;)

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
Could someone send me the measurements of the bar (possibly 1 1/2" or 2 ")x 54" .cannot remember . I asked someone on the old board and cannot find the info now

lightbarmarci

May 4, 2011
Hungary
Eric,this beacon is Beautiful bar!

Very very nice!!!! :hail:

There is a bar like this for me.

I bought it in a new state,but there were 30 in a depository until a year.for me Blue-Blue there was domes on him,but I bought it eBay red dome...

I love it very much!

TWIN BEACON RAY pict.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.