My work truck project. Video added 11/23

nathanzx10r

Jul 12, 2014
Odessa, TX
Im about 95% done with my project I started for my boss.  We wanted some decent amount of light output mounted high on the truck, but didnt want to lose any height clearance with a full size lightbar.  We are a repo company and not a tow company, so the boss was pretty much was looking for a "Slick Top" tow truck.  So on a budget, I have been slowly working on my truck seeing what works and what doesnt.  Anyway, this is what I came up for the rear of the truck. 6 two color SNM E6 lightheads, Red for warning and amber for directional stick.  Basically it is a stretched out version of the Dual Color E66, to fill the footprint of my truck with new LED clearance lights incorperated.  I will be mounting it this weekend and will get some pictures of it mounted and maybe a video.

Here is what I stated with... The LPR cameras have been mounted lower on the bed, that was just a temp spot.

as28.postimg.org_fxe05tugd_20141012_222032_resized.jpg

Here was my design idea.  I wasnt sure what route I was gonna go with, but this was just a rought design. 

as17.postimg.org_pn79l64fz_WIRBTRUCKLIGHTS.jpg

Here is the final project. Still have some black paint to put on the bolt heads etc.

as27.postimg.org_o6110kr3n_20141118_193245.jpg

Rear video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZcIguvw8Z8

Front video

http://youtu.be/tZgJ4uvzNxo

Just uploaded the front...Im into everything for about $600

Last edited by a moderator:

txff914

May 25, 2010
Houstonl,tx
Lol, those little lights are like $3 or $4,I think. What are your plans for the front? Im fixing to put a Feniex Cobra 400 in the front, Feniex T6s on the sides below the doors, and amber/white Feniex Cannons in the reverse lights for warning and lower work lights on a customers 2014 Ram 3500 sneaker unit.

nathanzx10r

Jul 12, 2014
Odessa, TX
I have a R/W AWL Venom that I got new/open box for $150, then I have some R/W SMT6 grill lights, the custom rear Warning/TA and then LED Brake/Back-up flashers.  Thats good enough for as much as we use lights, just every now and then.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Red lights to the rear and front on a wrecker?

Also, as far as the whole slicktop thing, your truck looks like a wrecker irregardless IMO. Since it doesn't look like one of those stealth/unmarked black repo pickups with towing equipment that pops out of the bed at the last minute, I don't think it would've made you guys standout anymore by having a towman justice on the roof

nathanzx10r

Jul 12, 2014
Odessa, TX
Red lights to the rear and front on a wrecker?

Also, as far as the whole slicktop thing, your truck looks like a wrecker irregardless IMO. Since it doesn't look like one of those stealth/unmarked black repo pickups with towing equipment that pops out of the bed at the last minute, I don't think it would've made you guys standout anymore by having a towman justice on the roof
Yes, Red lighting is authorized on wreckers in OR and WA.  The only color that we are not allowed to use is blue which is LE and Fire.  I know it is strange to see, the Left coast and the Right coast are backwards from each other when it comes to colors.  If I visited out that way, it would look like a bunch of undercover police cars with all the blue lights LOL.... But it is Vol FF.  The mission here is warning lights without adding to the over all height of the truck.  I can squeeze into a 6'6" parking garage as it sits.  Add a lightbar and bye bye clearance and since we are working in a metro area, we cant have that.  Our trucks are unmarked and we use these trucks because the other ones cant lift about 50% of the vehicles out there safely....and 25 % of that they just cant physically lift.   

Video added

Last edited by a moderator:

wrecker44

Jul 17, 2010
spokane,wa
Looks very clean. Not too much, and not too little. Nice work!

....Yea and sometimes that extra 2" of height means not being able to fit in the garage lol. We have several here in Spokane that are 6'5", especially around the hospital.

Reactions: nathanzx10r

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
I like it. Looks great! 4 Feniex T6s in the grill on an X and call it a day.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.