Naive dumb question

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
This is a dumb question, but why do GE Powercalls seem to sell for more money than most other older sirens? Is it just that they are not that many of them around or what?

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
They haven't been made in 30+ years, and unlike most older sirens, several East coast fire departments still run them. They seem to have a cult following because of the distinctive tones, mainly "warble". Many "oddball" (off-brand) sirens were Federal Signal clones, or just didn't sound very good, but the Powercall was unlike anything else.

I ran a Powercall in an unmarked detective car until 2001. EVERYBODY knew who was coming! And people moved out of my way. Best siren I ever used, new or old. The deeper tones penetrated car interiors better. Most newer sirens sound weak and 'tinny" in my opinion. They don't have the punch of the older sirens.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I agree with Crescentstar. I think it's the siren tones that makes 'em very popular with collectors and those who grew up hearing them. It's one of those sirens you can't possibly mistake for another with its real long wail and distinctive WARBLE tone.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
crescentstar69 said:
They haven't been made in 30+ years, and unlike most older sirens, several East coast fire departments still run them. They seem to have a cult following because of the distinctive tones, mainly "warble". Many "oddball" (off-brand) sirens were Federal Signal clones, or just didn't sound very good, but the Powercall was unlike anything else.

The cult following thing seems like the best explanation I've seen so far. I don't care for the Power-Call/Siren warble though... it sounds too choppy for my liking.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Unitrol is the only modern siren I like. I put them in our marked units, but kept my Powercall for my unmarked. Believe it or not, the patrol guys were envious!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.