Naive dumb question

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
This is a dumb question, but why do GE Powercalls seem to sell for more money than most other older sirens? Is it just that they are not that many of them around or what?

They haven't been made in 30+ years, and unlike most older sirens, several East coast fire departments still run them. They seem to have a cult following because of the distinctive tones, mainly "warble". Many "oddball" (off-brand) sirens were Federal Signal clones, or just didn't sound very good, but the Powercall was unlike anything else.

I ran a Powercall in an unmarked detective car until 2001. EVERYBODY knew who was coming! And people moved out of my way. Best siren I ever used, new or old. The deeper tones penetrated car interiors better. Most newer sirens sound weak and 'tinny" in my opinion. They don't have the punch of the older sirens.

I agree with Crescentstar. I think it's the siren tones that makes 'em very popular with collectors and those who grew up hearing them. It's one of those sirens you can't possibly mistake for another with its real long wail and distinctive WARBLE tone.

crescentstar69 said:
They haven't been made in 30+ years, and unlike most older sirens, several East coast fire departments still run them. They seem to have a cult following because of the distinctive tones, mainly "warble". Many "oddball" (off-brand) sirens were Federal Signal clones, or just didn't sound very good, but the Powercall was unlike anything else.

The cult following thing seems like the best explanation I've seen so far. I don't care for the Power-Call/Siren warble though... it sounds too choppy for my liking.

Unitrol is the only modern siren I like. I put them in our marked units, but kept my Powercall for my unmarked. Believe it or not, the patrol guys were envious!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381