NASA Prototype Lander crash, burn and BOOM! with FD response.

DDCtech

Feb 7, 2012
Renton, WA
Crash happens right away
Burn until 1:56
BOOM! at 1:57
Burn some more for awhile
NASA FD apparatus shows up about 8:35
Get the popcorn and enjoy!
:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I was supposed to have been sitting in that metal folding chair. Good thing I was late for work that day. :bonk:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
They need to park the white trailer a little closer next time.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Not everyday you see an "ARFF" response caught on tape. Seeing as how the lander was un-manned I think the response was perfect. If I were the FD I'd be more concerned about the grass fire. As an engineer I weep for the scientific loss because of the millions of man-hours that were probably in that thing. But the moment that thing landed on its lid (guarantee it wasn't designed to do that!), it was all she wrote! The one engineer was heard over the radio talking about "2 of the 4 tanks had gone". You've probably got some liquid O2, and liquid H2, possibly some solid fuel too? I would have let that baby burn. I'm not sticking around for any BLEVEs!

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Why didn't they have a fire truck on scene? Most test flights that I have ever seen always have rigs on scene ready for a problem... Like this.

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
Since it was a total loss anyway, I'd imagine they were waiting for the explosions to stop before allowing the FD to get close enough to put out the remains.

Firefly Berlin

Apr 25, 2012
Germany / Berlin
At both last times I was at Kennedy SC they had a couple of ex M 113 (equipped for fire supression) sitting around for situations like this.

Wonder why they didn't use one or more of them. :confused:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Firefly Berlin said:
At both last times I was at Kennedy SC they had a couple of ex M 113 (equipped for fire supression) sitting around for situations like this.
Wonder why they didn't use one or more of them. :confused:
They are not equipped for firefighting, they are only used for when and if the shuttle catches fire or explodes and is there for the crew to escape in. KSC has 2, one is stationed close to the shuttle during launch with 6-8 firefighters in ARFF gear and SCBA, and then another farther back to assist with rescue. Each shuttle crewmember is actually trained in driving the M113 as it is part of flight preparations. NASA - M113s Give Armored Ride to Firefighters

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
desert rent-a-cop said:
I will now be watching youtube videos of ARFF rigs for at least the next hour.

hahaha, so I am not the only one this happens too, just hope I don't get side tracked and end up in some dark corner.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KI_CopCar

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.