Need antenna and belt clip for GE MPR radio

Jun 4, 2012
New England
Hey, I don't know if portable radios count, but I just got a vintage General Electric MPR portable radio and it's missing the antenna and belt clip. Anyone know where I can find those?

QUICKONE

Jun 5, 2020
ARIZONA
Hey, I don't know if portable radios count, but I just got a vintage General Electric MPR portable radio and it's missing the antenna and belt clip. Anyone know where I can find those?
Do you know what type of antenna connection is on the Radio, If not post a pic with the frequency range of the transmitter and I'll try and point you in the right direction

W2CK

Apr 29, 2024
Kipling, NC
Hi,

The MPR uses a stud sticking out the top of the housing. It isn't the same as what GE used prior to or after. I haven't seen any new ones for decades.

It does have the mount riveted on the back which takes the same belt clip or swivel stud as many of the later GE/Ericsson radios such as MPA, MRK, LPE, etc. Those are available from many of the 2 way battery suppliers.

I checked my Shelves of Obsolete Electronics and I have a few old GE radios but no MPR or MPX with an antenna still on one. And, none in the boxes of just portable antennas.

Stan

Ericsson R&D 1994-2008, predominately Digital Land Mobile Radio but also some analog such as EDACS.

Jun 4, 2012
New England
Hi,

The MPR uses a stud sticking out the top of the housing. It isn't the same as what GE used prior to or after. I haven't seen any new ones for decades.

It does have the mount riveted on the back which takes the same belt clip or swivel stud as many of the later GE/Ericsson radios such as MPA, MRK, LPE, etc. Those are available from many of the 2 way battery suppliers.

I checked my Shelves of Obsolete Electronics and I have a few old GE radios but no MPR or MPX with an antenna still on one. And, none in the boxes of just portable antennas.

Stan

Ericsson R&D 1994-2008, predominately Digital Land Mobile Radio but also some analog such as EDACS.
Excellent! That solves the belt clip problem!

As for the antenna, that's not as important, but still important. I'm not necessarily trying to get the radio working; I just need it to look complete as a prop.

W2CK

Apr 29, 2024
Kipling, NC
Hi,

Yup. That's the one. And, I don't have one. I have an MPX on the SOE, a companion model. I have older models, even one where it is double-sided. VHF Hi on once side (suburban) and UHF on the other (urban). a Dual Bander as it were, maybe even the very first one. I'm not sure. They are from the days when GE and Moto were leapfrogging each other to have innovation in radio.

As already mentioned, Before My Time. I was grabbing these sorts of things at hamfests, usually Dayton (in a couple weeks from now), and making up ham rigs from surplus. I even have a (useless) Voice Commander on the SOE. I wound up really into it with synthesized radios as they were always easier to convert. Even reworked some of the control software. Such as on the TMX 900 MHz mobile, Delta and Rangr 110w mobiles, and MPA portable.

There are ham bands on either side of VHF Lo band and on the low side of VHF Hi band and the low side of UHF. And there is a ham band in the middle of the 900 MHz trunking band. Also, some VHF Hi Band, Hi Split can move up into the 220 MHz ham band with a little more work.

I was into GE over Moto because I used GE for my radio modules at IBM when my main job was adding radios to laptops to produce mobile terminals. Later, when IBM downsized, I went to work for GE directly, at at the time when Ericsson was in a joint venture with GE (later just plain bought GE out).

So, anyway, lots of old GE stuff on the SOE left over from all that.

But, sadly, none of the odd antennas you need.

Oh, and they use radio itself for the other side of the antenna current. If you look at the later rubber duck connector, which is still in use and easily obtained, there is just a center pin. In this case, the stud is 'hot' (if you can call a few watts hot). Might possibly give you a tingle if you keyed up minus the antenna and were touching the stud.

It's good that the OP doesn't want the radio to work. I don't know of any source for that style battery pack these days. There are only a few suppliers left carrying the MPA pack, as I just bought two new ones. And, they are really difficult to re-cell.

Stan

SOE = Shelves of Obsolete Electronics

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fireman5340

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.