Need Help Choosing Antenna

strobed

May 23, 2010
Suffern,NY
l am installing a Kenwood tk730h (g) in my car and I want it to be as powerful as possible and to receive as well as possible. The catch is I don't want to drill so i probably need an antenna that doesn't need a ground plane. I was thinking about getting a massive 55" antenna and mounting it on my car (2000 maxima) with a hood mount by my back tire well.

Any suggestions or recommendations regarding the placement and the type of antenna that will be the ultimate ?

Thank You in advance

FireMedic129

Jul 19, 2011
Kentucky
i am in the same boat with my grand cherokee. i dont want to drill the roof. what are my options?? i am using VHF in the 155.000 range.

strobed

May 23, 2010
Suffern,NY
Im using vhf between 151 and 160 i dont have a 55" antenna i just want to know what i canput on my car that will get me the best reception and will give me the most power while transmitting

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
a 5/8 wave antenna is the best in some circumstances it provides 3db of gain , But its large and comparable in size to a CB antenna. The most common is the 17 inch whip antenna. It will work fine for your appilcation and not look too out of place.

strobed

May 23, 2010
Suffern,NY
how much of a difference would a 5/8 make as opposed to a 1/4 wave ? Because i dont mind the whacky look if it will be better and either one is there a specific antenna that i should want?

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
We've been through this before - how much of a difference will it make. There are many variables:

How far are you operating from the base station? Within 5 to ten miles, a 1/4 will be fine. Generally you won't get any better reception from a 5/8 wave, but it makes your mobile radio signal extend farther.

What is your mobile transmitter power? 25 watts, 45 watts, or 100 watts?

For a low power power 25 watt radio used in an area without a repeater, the 5/8 wave is more advantageous.

Do you have multiple repeaters? Then you may only need a 1/4 wave.

For an NMO antenna mount, you can find various antenna brackets including a trunk mount or magnetic mount. Putting a mag mount on the roof with a 1/4 wave is the easiest, least costly no-drill. Borrow one and see how that works. A trunk lip mount 5/8 wave would be my next likely choice.

As for me -drill it. I have a trunk center-mount 5/8 wave with my 45 watt Kenwood 790 and decent range. I use one trunk-lip mount 1/4 wave for scanners, and another for 800 or 460 portables.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
strobed said:
how much of a difference would a 5/8 make as opposed to a 1/4 wave ? Because i dont mind the whacky look if it will be better and either one is there a specific antenna that i should want?

You're going to be very unhappy with that 5/8 wave roof mounted antenna unless you live in the desert. It will hit every tree for miles around, and you can forget about enclosed parking structures. I agree with what's been said, either a 1/4 wave on the roof or the 5/8 wave on the trunk, the slight dB gain will offset the worse propagation from being on the trunk.

For the Grand Cherokee, look at a hood groove mount. There was no ignition noise at all when I drove one, at least when using UHF.

cvfd1615

Jun 12, 2010
Custer, Kentucky
55" is too long for 155 anyway your SWR will be around a 3 or so which is unacceptable.

I think for most 5/8 wave the whip needs to be cut for around 48" or so to be matched for 150-155 area - Yes not much difference

For me, since I'm a ham radio operator as well, I cut my antennas for 150mhz so it runs about a 1.5 SWR ( more then acceptable ) for 155 and 145 so it covers me for both bands.

All depends on your setup, if repeaters are used then go with 1/4 wave. If its radio to radio ( simplex ) then you should go with a 5/8 wave antenna.

I've said it a million times, be a man and drill a hole, it will only hurt once and once you see how clean the install looks ( if done properly ) you will NEVER EVER go back!

I have an 07 Silverado LTZ and I use a 1/4 wave drilled into my roof and it works really well, no complaints, now when I go to hamfests or shows then I will switch to a 5/8 wave just for that extra range, do I really need too... No but I always have so I continue.

Whatever you do, do not get those junk POS Antenex Phantoms, they have hardly any bandwidth and aren't worth 5 cents in my opinion.

FireMedic129

Jul 19, 2011
Kentucky
i am now confussed!!! please forgive my ingorance when it comes to this subject. I am looking to put a VHF in my jeep. Looking at around 45w. I guess i would be ok with drilling a hole as long as i dont have to mount a giant whip antenna. do they make a 8 to 12 inch VHF antenna that will work in the 155.000 range. we have multiple repeaters in the county, how ever we have some real hilly terrain. I dont really have a problem getting out with my portable so i doubt i will have a problem with a more powerful mobile.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
FireMedic129 said:
i am now confussed!!! please forgive my ingorance when it comes to this subject. I am looking to put a VHF in my jeep. Looking at around 45w. I guess i would be ok with drilling a hole as long as i dont have to mount a giant whip antenna. do they make a 8 to 12 inch VHF antenna that will work in the 155.000 range. we have multiple repeaters in the county, how ever we have some real hilly terrain. I dont really have a problem getting out with my portable so i doubt i will have a problem with a more powerful mobile.

A standard VHF quarter wave spike will be roughly 17" in length, not counting the base. The Motorola ones I keep in stock don't need to be cut and they are good for about 151 to 159 Mhz. There are some really nice black on black ones on the market, as well as the standard chrome base and SS whip.

The NMO mounts are available in 3/8" and 3/4" hole configurations. There are good quality hole plugs also available in both sizes when you want to remove the antenna. Very few auto dealers care about a single antenna hole in the roof as they are way too common these days.

FireMedic129

Jul 19, 2011
Kentucky
I am not really worried about what color it is!! The ones you keep in stock, what's your asking price?? And does that include the entire kit?? Antenna, base, coax and radio end???

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
FireMedic129 said:
I am not really worried about what color it is!!

Some like the black, some like the traditional. It's a matter of taste and style. The black ones are a bit stealthier.

FireMedic129 said:
The ones you keep in stock, what's your asking price?? And does that include the entire kit?? Antenna, base, coax and radio end???

My stock is for me as an installer and not for sale. You should be able to pick up a complete 1/4 wave kit for around $25 or so. Be sure to get the right radio end, and preferably already installed on the coax. The old style PL-259's are fairly easy to install, but many radios these days use either BNC's or mini-UHF's. Both are a bit tougher to do properly.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny22

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.