Need help on Antenna idetification

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
Can anyone tell me what type of antenna this is? We use 800 Macom radios.

It got bent because I went through a non-friendly car wash. Didn't realize the blower/dryer came down so low and the oops happened.

Are they expensive to replace?

Thanks.

100MEDIA_IMAG0398.jpg

uniden278

Oct 10, 2011
Winthrop, MA
cybercop said:
Can anyone tell me what type of antenna this is? We use 800 Macom radios.

It got bent because I went through a non-friendly car wash. Didn't realize the blower/dryer came down so low and the oops happened.

Are they expensive to replace?

Thanks.

The bent antenna should not affect performance at all. You can bend the antenna back yourself, but no promises it's not going to break. I'm also surprised you took a vehicle with a lightbar through a carwash. I'd be more worried about that breaking.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
I betcha 98% of folks out there with lightbars on their vehicles will take vehicles through car washes. Most washes will be just fine. If you did a good job at mounting everything. Yes, some antennas need to come off.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Looks like the only damage is to the whip, which is easily replaceable, regardless of manufacturer. Any mobile radio ship should have something lying around that will fit.

Or, if it works, leave it as is.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Appears to be a Maxrad but there are a few lookalike brands out there. As already stated just bend the whip back up.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
I love people who guess with no clue. It's not a 1/2 wave - it's a typical 1/4 wave, unity gain antenna. They aren't bad to replace - $15-25 depending on where you get them.

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
I have to correct something, we are using Harris 800mhz radio if that makes a difference.

Do sell that style with a flexiable type whip as opposed to a straight rigid whip? (I don't really know the antenna lingo)

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Iirc Sti-co still do a flexi whip that might suit your application.

I pulled an Antennex phantom out of the roof of my old Sprinter via a low hanging building, height restriction was wrong by 10mm! Wasn't the first time the van had it's roof cleaned off either!

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
cybercop said:
I have to correct something, we are using Harris 800mhz radio if that makes a difference.

Do sell that style with a flexiable type whip as opposed to a straight rigid whip? (I don't really know the antenna lingo)

RF is RF... it doesn't matter what brand is involved. You could look at the Maxrad BMFT120 which is a similar quarterwave but is .100" diameter so much more flexible. Other options would be a spring-loaded antenna (that's what I run) or something low-profile - check out the Antenex Phantom Elite.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
A new quartarwave will be pretty cheap to replace regardless of the manufacturer because they all look alike, talking about the chrome nut antenna. That antenna looks like a MAXRAD, but if they really cheaped out it might be a Browning. You could always go Sti-Co or some sort of phantom antenna but you will be forking over a lot more money for one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.