Need help wiring a solenoid...

FFRNDAN

May 23, 2010
Malvern, OH
I'm working on installing my setup in my pickup, and wanted to make sure there is no "parasitic drain" on the battery. So, I figured I would use a solenoid wired to an ignition source. I picked up a "stock ford starter solenoid" from ebay for about $10. Looks like this: http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/10/12VKeyOn/Images/1_sm.jpg

And proceeded to wire it up. I got the trigger side wired up, and had to go to dinner with the girl. 20min round trip, the solenoid was triggered on the whole time. When I got back, it was too hot to touch. What did I do wrong? Or is this solenoid just not designed for 100% duty cycle?

Thanks for any help!

Bfat567

Feb 20, 2011
Hudson Valley NY
Mechanics correct me if im wrong, but isnt that a ford starter solenoid?...which would not normally be on all the time but only on starter crank. If so it would not be used to being on for extended periods of time.

FFRNDAN

May 23, 2010
Malvern, OH
Bfat567 said:
Mechanics correct me if im wrong, but isnt that a ford starter solenoid?...which would not normally be on all the time but only on starter crank. If so it would not be used to being on for extended periods of time.

I'm thinking this is the case, I'm looking for a continuous duty cycle solenoid now.

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
Most of those "starter solenoids" even though they carry heavy

loads, are only good for intermittent use. The part of the solenoid

that "heats up" is the energizer coil that moves the contact to

the "closed" position. These solenoids are good for handling a

large mechanical siren or other large intermittent load.

If you want a "continuously on" 'solenid', you REALLY want what

is known as a "latching relay" which is designed to stay "on" when

energized continuously.

Right idea, just different animal. "Latching relays" can be found at

most electrical supply houses or through "Mouser.com" on line.

Make sure that you get a relay that will handle at least 20% MORE

than the maximum load you planon running through it. (Safety factor).

Some makers of these relays (I'm REALLY old here!) are/were Potter &

Brumfield and Cutler-Hammer.

Hope this helps.

medic550

May 24, 2010
pa usa
I use a 3 terminal one that is used on school buses for different things.. 100amp continous duty solenoid. Two big terminals One coming in from battery and one going out. Then there is a little terminal that i run to a fuse in the underhood fuse panel to turn solenoid on with key turn. Plus it has to be secured to metal as the ground. I mounted one on the firewall of my 04 tahoe.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
EngCo4,

I disagree. It's a matter of selecting the correct solenoid for the job.

There are many variants that are designed for certain circuits. What you need is a continuous duty solenoid. That 100a will do but I'd suggest that you purchase a 3a diode and bridge the coil terminals with the band side towards the positive. This will prevent "spike back" when the solenoid is de-engergized. My personal favorite is the 24143, which is 200a and can switch higher live loads.

Sometimes, solenoids (or relays for 30a or less) are paired up with delay timers.

rongstad

Jul 28, 2011
Texas
EVModules said:
I'd suggest that you purchase a 3a diode and bridge the coil terminals with the band side towards the positive. This will prevent "spike back" when the solenoid is de-engergized. My personal favorite is the 24143, which is 200a and can switch higher live loads. Sometimes, solenoids (or relays for 30a or less) are paired up with delay timers.

Can you post a diagram on how to install the diode on the solenoid? thanks -od-

Dave

May 21, 2010
bath ny
I have a 300a continous duty solenoid i purchased from ebay 2 or 3 years ago works great (knock on wood). it was like $50

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
rongstad said:
Can you post a diagram on how to install the diode on the solenoid? thanks -od-

cad9a5f4.jpg

The wire in the upper left is just to illustrate where I obtained the insulation to cover the bare leads of the diode. Note the band side towards the yellow, which is to connect to the positive side of the solenoid. The terminals are oriented upside-down so they are installed first and the positive & ground side are installed right-side-up on top of the terminals in the same direction to make things neat.

If anyone's curious about the crimping, I purposely use the "non-insulated" crimping method. They grab better than the "insulated" crimp.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.