Need horn switch wire - 2010 F150

Sailor

May 25, 2010
Canada
Howdy,

Need to find the horn switch wire to finish siren install on my 2010 F150 FX4. I don't have the service book yet...anyone know?

Thanks!

And just know realized I'm in Visual....feel free to move.

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
I installed 2 295SL6's in to 2010 F-150's, i just went straight to the horn and cut the yellow wire to the horn. If the siren your hooking in requires low current,can't help you there.

What siren are you hooking up?

Jordan,TCFD

Sailor

May 25, 2010
Canada
Hi,

It's a Premier Hazard 7166 from the UK. I believe it takes the high side. Did you go right inside the column, or is there a nice spot in a wire bundle down below?

Thanks

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
Sailor said:
Hi,

It's a Premier Hazard 7166 from the UK. I believe it takes the high side. Did you go right inside the column, or is there a nice spot in a wire bundle down below?

Thanks

If it's the High Side (postive) you need to go right to the horn underhood.

Low Side (ground) would be at the column.

And you can use a relay to flip the relay from Pos to Gnd or reverse if needed

Sailor

May 25, 2010
Canada
Well, I'm bumping the topic because I just found out for sure this siren required the LOW (ground) side of the horn. Does anyone know where this is available and color?

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
EmerVehSolutions said:
blue wire with a white trace in the clock spring connector in the steering column

The wire stated above is what you will need for the ground side of the horn to tie in horn ring.

Sailor

May 25, 2010
Canada
cajunblitz said:
The wire stated above is what you will need for the ground side of the horn to tie in horn ring.

O.k. Thanks. So I imagine this has to come from the steering column itself? Just wondering if there's an easier place to get at it!

Sailor

May 25, 2010
Canada
Ok I know I'm resurrecting my own old topic, but I need help!

I finally got around to finding the wire I need. It is indeed the blue with white wire. I confirmed that by grounding this wire the horn blows. Now to use the wire to do horn ring on my siren what do I need to do? I tried tapping the existing blue wire and taking that to my horn ring input on my siren, but that doesn't work. Do I need to cut this wire so the factory horn doesn't work at all? And tie the horn "switch side" from the truck to the siren horn input?

It's the first time I've used this feature, so sorry :oops:

I appreciate any help!

txfire

May 19, 2010
Denton Co, TX
Sailor said:
Ok I know I'm resurrecting my own old topic, but I need help!

I finally got around to finding the wire I need. It is indeed the blue with white wire. I confirmed that by grounding this wire the horn blows. Now to use the wire to do horn ring on my siren what do I need to do? I tried tapping the existing blue wire and taking that to my horn ring input on my siren, but that doesn't work. Do I need to cut this wire so the factory horn doesn't work at all? And tie the horn "switch side" from the truck to the siren horn input?

It's the first time I've used this feature, so sorry :oops:

I appreciate any help!

Found a wiring diagram online for the 7000 series sirens....on yours, is it the orange wire you are working with for the horn ring?

And as a note...on the Fords...since it is a low current wire...and you are only using the wire wire from the siren, you might have to use a relay and/or a toggle switch to seperate the signal. The trucks system might not have enough "low" current to drive a siren & the horn.....just a thought.

Sailor

May 25, 2010
Canada
txfire said:
Found a wiring diagram online for the 7000 series sirens....on yours, is it the orange wire you are working with for the horn ring?

And as a note...on the Fords...since it is a low current wire...and you are only using the wire wire from the siren, you might have to use a relay and/or a toggle switch to seperate the signal. The trucks system might not have enough "low" current to drive a siren & the horn.....just a thought.

Hi,

Yep it's the orange wire. I was wondering about that, but didn't want to cut the wire just to test it. Man there isn't much room to work under there, especially soldering wires ;)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.